Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
5. Star Wars Episode 1: Racer

I had an N64, but a very limited amount of games for it (those things were EXPENSIVE from what I remember), and this game was one that I spent a good amount of my childhood playing. So fast, so frustrating, yet sooooooo fun! Let me race as Neva Kee and I promise I will kick anyone's ass! Not much can be said about this game, other than "It took the best part from Episode 1.... and made it that much better."

... I also really loved buying parts in Watto's shop.... don't know why, but it was fun
Racer was far and away the best game to come out if the Phantom Menace era. I had Racer Revenge for PS2 and I think it was basically the same game.

N64 still holds the record for the most expensive game I ever saw. It was called "War Gods" or something like that and it was priced at a one hundred and twenty dollars, plus fifteen percent sales taxes. This was in 1998 and PlayStation was releasing games for half of that. No wonder N64 didn't catch on.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
I've seen some things, man. And some stuff. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
N64 still holds the record for the most expensive game I ever saw. It was called "War Gods" or something like that and it was priced at a one hundred and twenty dollars, plus fifteen percent sales taxes. This was in 1998 and PlayStation was releasing games for half of that. No wonder N64 didn't catch on.
Either it's a Canadian thing or you saw this in a store ran by a thief.

I got my first N64 in 1998 along with 3 games (Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 & Mario Kart 64). The system was $199.99 and the games were $49.99 each, all brand new.

As far as I recall, no N64 game ever retailed for over $49.99 here. The one exception being Hey You, Pikachu.

Didn't catch on? It was manufactured from 1996 to 2003 and sold over 30 million units. The Virtual Boy would be an example of "not catching on".
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Either it's a Canadian thing or you saw this in a store ran by a thief.

I got my first N64 in 1998 along with 3 games (Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 & Mario Kart 64). The system was $199.99 and the games were $49.99 each, all brand new.

As far as I recall, no N64 game ever retailed for over $49.99 here. The one exception being Hey You, Pikachu.

Didn't catch on? It was manufactured from 1996 to 2003 and sold over 30 million units. The Virtual Boy would be an example of "not catching on".
Virtual Boy was an example of falling flat on your face right out of the starting gate.

It was probably a generation thing, I grew out of Nintendo and into PlayStation around the time if N64. And I followed Final Fantasy wherever it went.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM
That Guy

I remember N64 games going up to 80 bucks by the end of it's run. I actually bought a game at that price because I didn't know any better.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Racer was far and away the best game to come out if the Phantom Menace era. I had Racer Revenge for PS2 and I think it was basically the same game.

I never played the racer one since I didn't have an N64, but I recall the Gungan level in the Phantom Menace PlayStation game to be pretty hilariously fun. You could take the Gungan's stupid shock ball weapon things and use them against them. Watching the Gungans seize out on the floor was hilarious. Plus, if you did it enough, they'd turn against you and you could mow 'em down left and right.

tl;dr I get too much pleasure out of harming Gungans.
11/7 Weekend Nachos
11/14 Decapitated ?
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I never played the racer one since I didn't have an N64, but I recall the Gungan level in the Phantom Menace PlayStation game to be pretty hilariously fun. You could take the Gungan's stupid shock ball weapon things and use them against them. Watching the Gungans seize out on the floor was hilarious. Plus, if you did it enough, they'd turn against you and you could mow 'em down left and right.

Parts of that game were great but parts of it were so damn bad.

And there's nothing wrong with getting pleasure out of harming Gungans. They deserve it. I can't remember if it was your video game thread where I went off on a tangent on how great the first level in Battlefront was. No video game experience has come close to the satisfaction of being the CIS army slaughtering the Gungan army.

"Me'sa gonna die!"
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-18-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Parts of that game were great but parts of it were so damn bad.

And there's nothing wrong with getting pleasure out of harming Gungans. They deserve it. I can't remember if it was your video game thread where I went off on a tangent on how great the first level in Battlefront was. No video game experience has come close to the satisfaction of being the CIS army slaughtering the Gungan army.

"Me'sa gonna die!"
It was probably my thread because I addressed that level too.
11/7 Weekend Nachos
11/14 Decapitated ?
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I remember N64 games going up to 80 bucks by the end of it's run. I actually bought a game at that price because I didn't know any better.
I remember the Toys R Us by my house ALLLLWAYS had overpriced N64 games, which is why I didn't have a huge collection of them. Shit, I remember buying Golden Eye 007 in 2006-2007ish for $45!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post

I think I remember that level! That game was so fun, but so bleh at the same time. One of those "I really like this game, but I'll just stick to renting it for the weekend" kind of games

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 03-19-2014, 04:11 PM

7. Driver 2

Before Grand Theft Auto took over the world, we had a great series called Driver! I remember getting a demo disc of the first Driver in the mail and totally falling in love with it. Sure you couldn't get out of your car, but it was fun to run from the cops and break the law. In the year 2000 a sequel to Driver came out, and it was leaps and bounds ahead of the original with the ability to get out of your car and high-jack others cars! The graphics weren't that great, but the story line was just amazing, plus, this was pre-GTA so the ability to high jack cars on the road was amazing!

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 03-19-2014, 04:14 PM

8. Tetris

A very simple game, yet so addicting and fun. I still own a copy of it for the original Gameboy! I'm sure almost everyone has played this game, so you all know exactly why this game is so great. It has hours upon hours of playing, and not one playing session is the same!

The Tetris that came out on the DS was amazing as well, wish I still had my DS so I could play it. Loved the "tower mode" (or whatever it was called).

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com