Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2metal View Post
Have you listened to their other Cds?
I'm sure I have heard a song or two in the past, but didn't pay much attention till i got the new promo.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
That Guy

41.) Vanden Plas- Chronicles Of The Immortals - Netherworld

Vanden Plas is another band that hasn't really been on my radar, which after listening to this album, is really quite a shame. This is a concept album that was co-written with author Wolfgang Hohlbein. The music is quite dark for Progressive Metal dealing with the Netherworld. You can definitely hear some Dream Theater aspects at times. The music is catchy and memorable as well as grand and epic feeling. It's definitely worth checking out if you want to hear some dark-inspired Progressive Metal.

9/10

42.) The Unguided- Fragile Immortality

Another band that is taking the Synth driven Modern Death Metal route. I actually dig this a bit more than Dead By April, it doesn't feel nearly as poppy despite the synths and a bit more like the more metal side of Amaranthe without female vocals. Again I must stress that I feel Raunchy is getting screwed over, but this is some damn good stuff.

8/10

43.) Whispered- Shogunate Macabre

As rightly described as the Japanese influenced Ensiferum, this is some magnificent Folkish Death Metal. every song gets catchier and catchier. taking the oriental folk influence and creating some killer Metal along with it. I highly recommend this album and regard it as one of the best albums of the year and so far the best Folk metal album to come out, but again, it's only February.

9/10

44.) Mogwai- Rave Tapes

Mogwai is definitely one of those Post Rock bands that don't want to repeat themselves, ever. This album is pure Post Rock but with that Rave synth in the background. I like to refer to it as the 80's soundtrack keyboard synth sound, but I know it's popular in Rave Culture. Mogwai is definitely the kind of band that creates soundtrack albums more than individual songs, so it flows together really well in one listen rather then a song at a time. it's not my usual type of Post Rock that I love, but Mogwai is anything but typical Post Rock.

7/10

45.) Ashen Horde- Sanguinum Vindicta

Another album that I feel will go under the radar unless I try to help promote it. This is some killer Proggy Black Metal. It's odd hearing Black Metal being done in odd time signatures, but it done so very well. The production isn't perfect but fans of Enslaved and Borknager would definitely dig on this band a lot. Very Cool stuff.

7/10

46.) Aeon's Fall- Echoes Of Remembrance

Symphonic Metalcore, what an odd thing to think of, but I did mention Symphonic Deathcore before so this is a bit more to my liking. It's got that Metalcore edge to it with more soloing and a lot more symphonics which gives the genre a whole new spin. I'm digging on this a lot and I didn't think I necessarily would. It's odd at first but captures you after a while. Check it out!

8/10

47.) A.C.T.- Circus Pandemonium

Another underground Progressive Rock band that is undeserving under the radar. They are an amazing Prog band that is not stereotypical Prog. Like the album title suggests, the album is kinda all over the place song by song, but each song is so damn good. It's been 8 years since their last album and that is far too long, but at least they made up for it but creating one hell of a Prog album that feels like you're at a three ring circus having the time of your life.

9/10

48.) Earth Crisis- Salvation Of Innocents

Legendary Straight Edge, Vegan, Political (don't let that scare you off just yet) Metalcore (or that) band has come back with their latest album. Yes the album is very much about what the band is all about in their description, but the music is good enough to not pass up. This isn't the early 2000s Metalcore, it's much like Converge and their style of Metalcore. It's really cool stuff and refreshing to hear this style of Metalcore again. It's well worth checking out if you ignore how political the album is.

7/10

49.) Illudria- Sentiment

A tasty spin on Prog Metal The best way I have found to describe the band is a mix of Between the Buried And Me (musically prog twists and turns), Periphery (some early day djenty breakdowns), and Parkway Drive style vocals. While not the perfect album (it does start to run together after a while), there is enough hear to capture my interest for repeat listens. I really love it when a band can break out and do something different like this and with this being a terrific debut album and I can picture them only getting bigger and better from here.

8/10

50.) The Return South- S/T

Now this is definitely a game changer of an album. Like the name suggest there is a big Southern influence on this, but along with it is Post Rock, Rockabilly, Funk, and prog Rock. As much as I love the Post Rock movement, a lot of bands start to blend together in sound, not these guys. It is very distinct and superior in sound as if Mutemath, Meshuggah and Stevie Wonder all got together to make an album. It is a damn good start to a band that will make it far if they keep up this style of music and make it grow even more.

9/10
Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 PM
All of my life, I've been waiting for you...

That Mogwai record is the exact same record they've been writing for the past 3 records.
Swans: 9/11
Trust: 9/27
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post

42.) The Unguided- Fragile Immortality

Another band that is taking the Synth driven Modern Death Metal route. I actually dig this a bit more than Dead By April, it doesn't feel nearly as poppy despite the synths and a bit more like the more metal side of Amaranthe without female vocals. Again I must stress that I feel Raunchy is getting screwed over, but this is some damn good stuff.
Pontus of Dead by April helped produce the synth.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Bored

Send some more recommendations our way when you get a chance. Great list so far.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatts View Post
Send some more recommendations our way when you get a chance. Great list so far.
Awesome, thanks!

I should have more tomorrow. It's been pretty hectic here so I havent been able to keep up as much as I've wanted to. But I'll post more tomorrow, or late tonight if I get caught up.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:01 PM
That Guy

51.) The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra- Zombie Mouth

A local MN band that incorporates Prog Rock, Orchestral and Bluegrass. Even their Facebook describes them as the bastard songs of Rush and Ralph Stanley. On their latest album they really feel the tightest they have been. They explore new territories of Prog while keeping the Bluegrass influence that makes them so different and catchy. The title track really zones in on the Prog territory while songs like Going Nowhere Fast in it's Bluegrass glory makes everyone bob their heads in enjoyment. It's easy to see why these guys are gaining recognition on every release. If you are a Rock and Metal guy like myself, this is a nice break from the heaviness but showcases musicality they way it should be done. Check these guys out and support them in any way you can.

9/10

52.) Thou- Heathen

Thou is a killer Sludgy Doom Metal band that has been in the scene for a while now. Every record gets tighter and tighter and Heathen is definitely the tightest album to date. It's not your average Doom Metal, it goes through very melodic passages amongst the slow brewing chaos. The changing tempos also make this more of an enjoyable experience that sets it apart from others in the genre. If you've never checked out Thou before, this is a great starter album for the band, it really showcaases what theya re all about.

9/10

53.) Throwdown- Intolerance

The name of the band and album definitely makes this sound like Bro Metal, but it is actually more of Straight Edge Vegan Brocore. The last few albums from Throwdown have been very Pantera inspired and Groove Metal, this album harkens back to their Hardcore roots and is very Straight Edge Preachy. Much like Earth Crisis, if you can get past the lyrics, you will find some great music here. It's not their best album but they did find a good mix between Groove Metal and Hardcore on this album that should make old and new fans of the band happy so grab some turnip juice, eat some celery and enjoy some Throwdown!

7/10

54.) Ancient Ascendant- Echos And Cinder

The UK really does make some inspiring Death Metal and these guys are definitely a part of that. This isn't your typical Death Metal that is about being brutal. This is atmospheric and very Death inspired. Very Proggy at times and showcases melodicness in the right spots to make this very enjoyable for those that want something different than the most brutal Death Metal out there. Absolutely worth looking into for some killer awe inspiring Death Metal.

8/10

55.) KXM- S/T

George Lynch, Dug Pinnick, and Ray Luzier. This is one sexy combination. Much like the name suggest (and was based upon) This does sound like a mix of Lynch Mob, King's X and Korn. It's got the 80's twinge coming from Lynch, the catchiness of King's X, and the heaviness (and al the parts that don't suck about) Korn.I am a dug Pinnick fanboy so anything he does I will love to some extent, but this is the best Pinnick release since King's X's last album XV (get back in the studio guys, please!) I'm sure because of Korn's schedule it won't happen, but these guys need to tour, this is too damn good not to tour in support of. I also hope that this is not a one off project, I can see this band getting even tight and even better. Absolutely soulful, heavy and sexy Hard Rock!

9/10

56.) Bigelf- Into The Maelstrom

Bigelf have finally returned. I have been saying it ever since I discovered the band and this album still holds it true. Bigelf is the perfect blend of Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. It has the heavy doomy, stoner metalish vibe of Black Sabbath, and the progginess of Pink Floyd. One of the best bands that hardly anyone knows about. This album explores even more of the psychedelic side to the band while still keeping that Sabbath vibe. This is an absolute treat for anyone who wants heavy Progressive Rock. It's like taking acid and spinning Dark Side Of The Moon and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath at the same time, it sounds crazy but it works!

9.5/10

57.) Intervals- A Voice Within

This is a Canadian Djenty Progressive Metal band that features the new vocalist of Raunchy. One thing that really makes these guys stand out in the Djent world is that there is no screams. Much like TesseracT, they are sticking to clean vocals and honestly that makes the music that much more enjoyable. It makes the hooks stand out more and showcases everyone in the band instead of just writing them off as a Periphery Ripoff band (which is certainly not the case here). be on the lookout for these guys, its absolutely kiloler stuff if you are a fan of new Progressive Metal.

9/10

58.) Bend Sinister- Animals

Small Frame I still feel is the highest point of awesomeness in Bend Sinister, but Animals rivals this idea very much. Bend Sinister is a Canadian Prog Rock band that also has a lot of Indie and Alternative influence. Much like if you take Deep Purple and mixed them with Menomena. Bend Sinister can do no wrong and Animals shows that point off amazingly well. The opening 8 minute epic, best Of You is easily the best song they have written to date. The rest of the album, while sticking to it's own theme on each song, can be a bit repetitive to some, and mindblowing to others. To me this album is done right. While I still love their last album Small Frame more, Animals is truly an animal of an album and deserves to be showcased. They are heading out on a US tour this month, make sure to check them out if they come by you!

9.5/10

59.) Babymetal- S/T

I will go on record and say this album is going to be the Sunbather of 2014. A band that is bringing Metal to a mainstream crowd and done in a way that others may have done first, possibly have done better. To those who want a real description of this album, picture JRock and Power Metal mixed with some Death Metal, but with 3 tween girls singing in Japanese. This is a polarizing album because to some it will feel like Kids Bop goes Metal, to others it is a novelty act, and to others will see this as a cool combination of genres. I like to think of it as all 3. I am all for anyone who wants to bring heavy to a mainstream audience, as long as the music doesn't suck, and I don't hate this. It's a fun album, Metal doesn't always need to be so serious.

8/10

60.) Destrage- Are You Kidding Me? No.

Coming from Italy these guys do one of my favorite genres of Music. to put it simply it is Avant Garde Metal. It is a mix of what bands like SikTh and For The Imperium have done in the past and currently but making it in their own way that is too damn good to ignore. I use the term Avant Garde to describe their sound because there are way too many labels that can be used to describe their sound. My favorite one that sticks is Psyopus Meets Face No More Meets Linkin Park Meets SikTh. These guys are all over the map. But before you let that scare you, all of the music is put together so tighly it doesn't sound like a giant mess. It flows together naturally and very well done. These guys could be huge if it gets right attention and i am happy to support them in anyway I can. If this album keeps kicking my ass the way it has, it will be my favorite album of the year.

10/10
Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I ordered my copy of Babymetal a few weeks ago direct from Japan. It's not coming in the mail for anywhere from three to twelve weeks. That sucks. I really like that band, and my son really likes Doki, Doki Morning.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 03-12-2014, 01:27 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I ordered my copy of Babymetal a few weeks ago direct from Japan. It's not coming in the mail for anywhere from three to twelve weeks. That sucks. I really like that band, and my son really likes Doki, Doki Morning.
Exactly why I appreciate Babymetal, if they help kids discover Metal, all the more power to them.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:53 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Exactly why I appreciate Babymetal, if they help kids discover Metal, all the more power to them.
I don't think it's the music that he's drawn to as much as the video. He really likes the skeletons.

I really enjoy the music too but he videos add a whole other layer to that onion.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation