Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Video Games

Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

adamclark52's post in his top 25 game thread inspried me to this:

I told AC in his post that I preferred the Rock Band guitar over GH, but I give Guitar Hero II (and III, but not as much) credit for many, many wasted hours in college. Nothing like this had come along save going to an arcade. The pure fun of playing songs with or against a friend was so overwhelming. I felt the choices of songs in GHII kept things interesting and it really felt good to be able to process in levels, not that my fingers liked it

I also included GH Metallica on this list as I was thrilled to hear that one of my favorite bands was doing this. I could think of so many other bands that could (or still could) get in on a band specific title: Can you image a Iron Maiden GH or RB coming out? Slayer? Black Sabbbath? I believe a good % of the population would never leave their living rooms

While the GH/RB has really died down, I will forever hold fond memories of many GH battles in my dorm and the house I lived in
Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

You know what's one thing they should have put into all the Guitar Hero and Rockband games? Open notes. A lot of Rock and metal music is based on open note chugging. Working those in would've made the game even better, especially for a person like me who's played guitar for twenty years and found that not having it over complicated some songs.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Tinnitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
You know what's one thing they should have put into all the Guitar Hero and Rockband games? Open notes. A lot of Rock and metal music is based on open note chugging. Working those in would've made the game even better, especially for a person like me who's played guitar for twenty years and found that not having it over complicated some songs.
In the later games, there are open notes while playing bass. But I agree.
11/24 DFA 1979
12/9 ETID
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
agreed; another thing I like about the latter RB titles was the freestyle or solo parts; I wish GH did that or even a separate mode where you could set the tuning and chords
Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableJustice View Post

So everyone remembers this one right?

no one?....ok

I recall going to the video store to pick out a game for the weekend and all the fun games had been checked out, feeling low I was about leave when I saw this out of the corner of my eye; not wanting to go home empty handed I chanced fate and tried it. Let me tell you it was a fuckload of fun

The best way I can describe B.O.B. is an Earthworm Jim clone; a shooter/platformer you as B.O.B. kicked some alien ass to save his girlfriend if I remember correctly. I only played it a few times but it left an impression on me

here, maybe this can help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXemw7410Y
I remember seeing that on the shelf at the video store so many times and my brother and I would always pass it over for something else. Looks like we should have given it a chance!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM

I will preface this by saying stratgey games are my least favorite game type, not that I think they are bad or anything, I just do not own the patience to play them.

However....

Starcraft needs no introduction it is one the forefathers of gaming;just ask Korea. I can't remember why I got this game and was uneasy about playing it but what a fun time it was. The interface was simple, I learned the basics pretty quick. The story was awesome like a great sci-fi novel. I would play the campaigns 10 time over before steeping foot in online mutliplayer. I will say that in the latter levels I got overwhelmed by the resource gathering, making troops and keeping an eye on the enemy that I gave up and used cheat codes.....I know

But all in all I really enjoyed the game, long with Brood War the expansion pack. In later years I found out about the countless mods created by fans and I found some of them to be amazing. Then finally after a long time Starcraft II: sons of liberty came out and well it was a great game, I felt like it didn't have the charm of the original. I wish I could play Heart of the Swam and the next one but I only have a laptop that is not built for gaming.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Starcraft was awesome. I remember playing it first year of college...on my laptop.

And don't feel bad, you're not the only person who had to use cheats to get through those last levels.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Well this one needs no introduction...

DN 3D was my first "mature" game in terms of extreme gore, profanity and nudity. My dad and I took turns playing and we both had a lot of fun. A couple years ago I brought this off Xbox live and enjoyed it more on a game pad vs a keyboard. I think my favorite parts included the entire second chapter on the space station and Duke finishing the final boss by taking a shit in it (I think it was the final boss, correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:23 PM

Well, who doesn't want to build their own city and control its fate? Lots of hours were wasted on this with my friends; of course being asshole 10 year olds we left it to rot or threw a hurricane or two at it.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM

While there have been some great Star Wars games mentioned in other threads which will be on this list, I wonder if anyone has played this (I'm sure you have Adamclark52)

This game is set right after Episode II and features a special squadron of 4 clone troopers. No jedi in this one, just pure first person shooting goodness. The difficulty level takes a huge spike at the end but all in all a very good shooter. I think my favorite part was exploring the empty Republic star cruiser, they got the creepy atmosphere down well.