Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I have so many great memories of that EP. My band was driving from Whitby, Ontario to Marmoro, Ontario for my first show with them. It was a two or three hour drive and we listened to that EP the whole time, on cassette.

The show was utter garbage, in a forest in late October with a bunch of gas huffing rednecks. But the EP was awesome. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but I'd rate it above everything, save Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. But some days, depending on my mood, I'd rank it higher. It may be my favorite Metallica release.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I have so many great memories of that EP. My band was driving from Whitby, Ontario to Marmoro, Ontario for my first show with them. It was a two or three hour drive and we listened to that EP the whole time, on cassette.

The show was utter garbage, in a forest in late October with a bunch of gas huffing rednecks. But the EP was awesome. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but I'd rate it above everything, save Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. But some days, depending on my mood, I'd rank it higher. It may be my favorite Metallica release.
Wow, you played a show in fucking Marmora? That's awesome, and fucking remote. I camped in Marmora, but that's about it. The most rural Ontario town I can claim to playing a show in is probably Alliston! Let me tell you, those Alliston rednecks did NOT appreciate our music. I can only imagine what the Marmorans thought of yours!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Wow, you played a show in fucking Marmora? That's awesome, and fucking remote. I camped in Marmora, but that's about it. The most rural Ontario town I can claim to playing a show in is probably Alliston! Let me tell you, those Alliston rednecks did NOT appreciate our music. I can only imagine what the Marmorans thought of yours!
Yeah, I'd never heard of the place before we played there and I've only driven through since. The locals were all fucked out of their minds and we brought our girlfriends, so they were all over it. Nothing like a bunch of mid-forties hillbillies on ATV's, high on whatever, at a punk show in the middle of a forest in October hitting on your girlfriend. That was when I knew I was a ROCK-STAR!
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-14-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Exumer - Rising From the Sea - September, 1987

Exumer's debut was a promising one. Released only a year-and-a-half earlier, they came off as some kind of Exodus-meets-Destruction hybrid with winding, catchy riffs and inspired vocals. Possessed By Fire had some rough spots, but it was the real deal. So, my main question is, what the fuck happened on Rising From the Sea? A new vocalist, for one. Paul Arakari replaces Mem von Stein on bass and vocals, and the results are less than desirable. Arakari utilizes a more American-sounding hardcore bark with the occasional scream as opposed to von Stein's more rabid and entirely German-sounding snarl. Then there's the riffs, which are just fucking boring. There are some bright spots here and there, but very rarely does Rising From the Sea even aspire to reach the heights that its predecessor did.

Standouts: Shadows of the Past, I Dare You

Score: 4/10
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Protector - Misanthropy - September, 1987

Yet another German band, Protector are relatively young, having only formed in 1986. While their sound is every bit as aggressive as that of their countrymen, their style is more akin to some of the more extreme bands popping up on the other side of the big pond, bands like Possessed & Sepultura. In fact, a very good comparison would be Brazil's Mutilator, although Protector are much better songwriters than that band. While Protector's default speed is breakneck, they often break into cool midpaced sections or crushing doomy passages to keep things fresh. Some of the riff transitions are a little rough, and not every one of the 6 songs here entirely holds your interest, but this is a worthwhile debut EP.

Standouts: The Mercenary, Kain and Abel

Score: 7/10
Old 02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I haven't heard this one yet. I bought Punishment For Decadence and it's solid, but I downloaded No More Color and that's AHJFDBAUShfjoiasdhfluaenmioanfesbfghewnfkjerbfwemF N;IqwnFUUUUUUUUUUU 100/10

I wish both this and RIP were buyable online for cheap. I'd blogspot RIP but I feel bad enough for blogspotting No More Color. Goddammit Coroner, reprint that shit so I can give you my money for your elite goods and services!

slightly off topic, but I just ordered this in the mail and have been waiting for it to get here for almost a week. When it comes, I plan to get 3/4 of the city pregnant.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
slightly off topic, but I just ordered this in the mail and have been waiting for it to get here for almost a week. When it comes, I plan to get 3/4 of the city pregnant.
The world needs more of this sort of thing.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 AM

"If you can't eat it or fuck it, then kill it!"

Carnivore - Retaliation - September, 1987

Carnivore's sound has changed considerably since their self-titled debut. While the first album had hints of hardcore thrown in, it was largely a speed/thrash album rooted in traditional heavy metal. On Retaliation, we see the band up the speed, intensity and brutality of their sound and are left with a very NYC-sounding record.

After the listener is treated to the sound of Jack Daniels and pizza exiting someone's body, Pete Steele and company drop the hammer and don't really let up until the album is over. Blazing through the first few numbers, Carnivore really hits their stride when they slow things down, crushing you with "Race War" and the hilarious "Jesus Hitler". Is this foreshadowing the kind of sounds Steele would create later with Type O Negative? We certainly hear some shades of that band here, whether it be through the bass tone or some pretty controversial lyrics ("Don't call me your brother, 'cause I ain't your fuckin' brother/We fell from different cunts and your skin, your skin's an ugly color!" to point out one shining example!).

Retaliation is not a complex record. It works because it pummels the listener into submission, and while Steele's bellowing can get tiresome at times, we're drawn back in by a number of different tricks -- catchy riffs and eyebrow-raising lyrics among them. Sadly, this is the last record the world would hear from Carnivore as Steel went onto more gothic sounds with Type O Negative and wouldn't get the chance to show many people the reformed band before his untimely death in 2010.

Standouts: Race War, Jesus Hitler, Sex & Violence

Score: 8/10
Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I love Carnivore. One of the most underrated thrash bands around. Retaliation isn't as good as the debut, but your review is pretty spot on. "Race War" is a favourite of mine as well.
9/5 - Spell/Manacle
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM

I can't believe Pete's been gone for almost four years. I have the utmost respect for Dio, Dimebag and all the other idols that have fallen. But Peter's the one that hits me the hardest.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation