Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat > Movies

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'm starting to think theWildandtheYoung is actually MY WIFE trolling us all.

Bon Jovi, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, almost no Star Wars and Legolas as the favorite Lord of the Rings character!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Even so, you're still going off the assumption that he hasn't seen the films that you like and that's the reason why he hasn't listed them and his instead has chosen the films he's chosen, whether that's due to age, lack of exposure, whatever. Even though he's admitted he hasn't seen a lot of the suggestions that have been made in this thread, it's still a cheap way to argue by criticizing the credentials and not the content. Again, there's nothing wrong with hating his choices, even if you voice it with a simple "That movie sucks" comment. But when you chalk it up to "there's no WAY he can like this movie more than that one. The only possible explanation is that he hasn't seen these other awesome films", it just comes off as a cop out argument, and looks more like defending your own taste rather than criticizing his, even if your taste is not in question. It's the same thing when people were voting for Killswitch Engage and not Gorguts or Deafhaven in the 2013 album voting list, and people, jokingly or seriously, argued that it's because they hadn't heard Gorguts or Deafhaven, and not because they had heard those albums and simply liked the KsE album more. It's the similar thing here.

People have also said that if he watches more movies his top 30 list would definitely change. Which i'm sure is true, but you're working under the assumption that doing so would knock the movies that you deem are not worthy. Who's to say that watching Aliens would change how he feels about Harry Potter and not how he feels about Jurassic Park?

And if you think i'm simply just picking apart what you're saying for the sake of argument, i'll still agree that there's no way to defend liking Jurassic Park 3 over the first movie. Or even Lost world for that matter.
Mostly all wrong, again. But never mind. None of what's been said in this thread, by me or anyone else, is about the fact that his list doesn't have the same films on it that ours do. It's about how horrifically limited it is. The Potter films are generic shit. Doesn't matter if you like them or don't, they are incompetent movie making, but sure, he's entitled to enjoy them. I've no doubt if I put my mind to it there are a whole bunch of films I enjoy that are technically bad movies. But to put so many of them on a list as short as 30 movies can only possibly mean he hasn't seen enough. As I said, it's like listening to one album by a band and choosing your top 5 songs. And I said it because it's true.

So yes, we're assuming there are a bunch of films he hasn't seen. And you know what? We're right.

Something else though, it's actually quite admirable that he's not trying to ineptly argue everyone else's valid points, and is pushing ahead with the list anyway, because it's his list. Courage of conviction is a good thing. Stubbornness isn't, but I guess we'll just have to wait for him to grow up enough to realise that minds change with age. To be fair, everyone had to wait for all of us to do the same thing

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary

Last edited by ravenheart; 03-08-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
N00B

"Hi, I think you're wrong in what you're saying, so i'm going to tell you why you're wrong by outlining my opinion again which actually pretty much agrees with what you said"
Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
"Hi, I think you're wrong in what you're saying, so i'm going to tell you why you're wrong by outlining my opinion again which actually pretty much agrees with what you said"
What answer are you looking for, exactly? I give the kid credit because he's posting what he likes and has a kind of "I don't give a fuck" attitude about it, but the movies here are not great for the most part. That's not even the issue though. As ravenheart said, it's how limited the list is. It's mostly all the same movie. If that's what he likes, fine, but he's putting it out there for everyone to see and criticize, so what do you expect? At least he has age on his side. He has lots of time to develop his tastes and refine his favourites. This would be a sad fucking list if it were a 30 year old dude posting it rather than a teenager. I'd love to see what this list looks like in 10 years or so.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:12 PM
N00B

Are people not fucking reading my posts? People can criticize if they want. I have been pretty fucking clear on that. I'm just calling out the way people are criticizing and how it has more to do with the credentials behind the list than with the list itself. Chalking it up to age or lack of exposure to films is what i'm criticizing here, not that people are saying "this movie is no good" or "these movies stink" or whatever.

Ravenheart hasn't even addressed what i've been saying. All he's doing is saying "nope, you're wrong", and then goes on to repeat almost verbatim what he's saying i'm wrong about. He said in both of his responses to me that i'm wrong about his assertion that he's being critical of TWATY's lack of enough movies that he's seen. But then IMMEDIATELY brought up both of those as his criticisms by saying stuff like "I guess we'll just have to wait for him to grow up enough to realise that minds change with age."

He also essentially proves me right when I bring up the fact that it's not about his age on its own, its about the fact that he brings up the quality of the films on the list as well and attributes it solely to his age and/or the lack of movies he's seen. With statements like "The Potter films are generic shit. Doesn't matter if you like them or don't, they are incompetent movie making" which followed "It's about how horrifically limited it is." One has nothing to do with the other. Would the Potter films be less generic and less shitty if he was 30 years old and had seen a lot more movies from different eras and he still included them on this list?

I just hate when people feel the need to condescend by saying "don't worry kiddo, you'll grow out of it soon." It takes a lot less balls to do that then to simply say "Your taste in movies sucks, and here's why". Or not even "here's why". People have to throw in the credentials of the compiler, but as i've said before, only seem to do so with the list of movies they don't enjoy. Yet somehow the list of movies they do enjoy (Jurassic Park, First blood, Toy Story) don't get the same treatment, even though it's from the same person with the same "credentials".

Basically what's happening here is if you have 2 people, each have only seen one movie each, and they both say that movie is the best movie of all time, and we criticized both of them for making a list with only one movie being seen each, then that's fine. But if the movie Person A had seen was The Godfather, and the movie Person B had seen was Pootie Tang, and we only criticized Person B but not Person A, that's where it isn't right. THAT'S what I think is happening here.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

You know who we haven't seen in awhile? Indestructible.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM
N00B

I thought I saw him post recently.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Old 03-09-2014, 12:21 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
This might honestly be one of the best troll jobs I have ever witnessed. A supposed 15 year old hair metal/Harry Potter fanatic has managed to throw multiple threads into total disarray.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Are people not fucking reading my posts? People can criticize if they want. I have been pretty fucking clear on that. I'm just calling out the way people are criticizing and how it has more to do with the credentials behind the list than with the list itself. Chalking it up to age or lack of exposure to films is what i'm criticizing here, not that people are saying "this movie is no good" or "these movies stink" or whatever.

Ravenheart hasn't even addressed what i've been saying. All he's doing is saying "nope, you're wrong", and then goes on to repeat almost verbatim what he's saying i'm wrong about. He said in both of his responses to me that i'm wrong about his assertion that he's being critical of TWATY's lack of enough movies that he's seen. But then IMMEDIATELY brought up both of those as his criticisms by saying stuff like "I guess we'll just have to wait for him to grow up enough to realise that minds change with age."

He also essentially proves me right when I bring up the fact that it's not about his age on its own, its about the fact that he brings up the quality of the films on the list as well and attributes it solely to his age and/or the lack of movies he's seen. With statements like "The Potter films are generic shit. Doesn't matter if you like them or don't, they are incompetent movie making" which followed "It's about how horrifically limited it is." One has nothing to do with the other. Would the Potter films be less generic and less shitty if he was 30 years old and had seen a lot more movies from different eras and he still included them on this list?

I just hate when people feel the need to condescend by saying "don't worry kiddo, you'll grow out of it soon." It takes a lot less balls to do that then to simply say "Your taste in movies sucks, and here's why". Or not even "here's why". People have to throw in the credentials of the compiler, but as i've said before, only seem to do so with the list of movies they don't enjoy. Yet somehow the list of movies they do enjoy (Jurassic Park, First blood, Toy Story) don't get the same treatment, even though it's from the same person with the same "credentials".

Basically what's happening here is if you have 2 people, each have only seen one movie each, and they both say that movie is the best movie of all time, and we criticized both of them for making a list with only one movie being seen each, then that's fine. But if the movie Person A had seen was The Godfather, and the movie Person B had seen was Pootie Tang, and we only criticized Person B but not Person A, that's where it isn't right. THAT'S what I think is happening here.
long-winded posts on here lol, save your breath