Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Banned Asshole

just about any extreme metal band can always use new fans, especially one thats been around as long as cannibal

average mayhem attendee probably was somewhere between kindergarten and not even being born yet when chris barnes was in the band
Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by detuned View Post
just about any extreme metal band can always use new fans, especially one thats been around as long as cannibal

average mayhem attendee probably was somewhere between kindergarten and not even being born yet when chris barnes was in the band
Exactly, and it's already been said the previous Mayhem they did was very scene specific and was preaching to the converted(it also was the worst selling Mayhem as I recall).

This years lineup is all over in the best way possible. There's nu-metal, death metal, deathcore, metalcore, whatever the fuck you'd consider Asking Alexandria. There may even be some djent. It's a diverse tour without being so obscure it turns people off.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
To be fair, there's always someone who says it about every festival the world over every year. This just attracts more of them because it's genuinely a piece of boiled crap every year.
That's where I disagree. For me, the worst year was probably this past year and even though I wasn't thrilled with a lot of the bands initially, I still had a great time. I guess what makes me question people who post on these forums and the official mayhem forums is the narrowmindedness when it comes to who plays. It's not the rockstar mayhem death/thrash festival. There are going to be a huge variety of genres represented as that's the point of the festival, to bring out a variety of fans to listen to different genres of rock/metal. Furthermore, people bitch about repeat headliners, but fail to use common sense when thinking about why they were chosen. Consider conflicting touring schedules, the money to bring in huge headliners like say Metallica or SOAD, or simply enough that their are only so many headliner quality bands that would make people want to stay till the end. Its almost imvpossible to not have a big name headliner who isn't a repeat. I've been to every mayhem and 4 Ozzfests and every year its the same stuck up metal elitists who bitch about mainstream bands playing. I guess what makes me not take any of these comments seriously is that the year when sslipknot, slayer, anthrax, and motorhead played, which in my opinion was by far the best year, I distinctly remember people bitching that it was a horrible lineup just because Devil Wears Prada and AA were on it. Ignoring those four previously mentioned bands and calling it a bad lineup because of two sidestage bands loses any credibility in my book.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipknot61 View Post
That's where I disagree.
You disagree that there are always, and will always be, people who think every line-up of every festival everywhere is the worst that event has ever had, or that the line-up for this particular one is always crap?

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
N00B

Quote:
You disagree that there are always, and will always be, people who think every line-up of every festival everywhere is the worst that event has ever had, or that the line-up for this particular one is always crap?
I disagree that the lineup is crap. I don't think they've had a bad lineup. But I also know every year people will bitch and moan because that's the nature of it.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

I think this one's crap. The one with Slipknot, Slayer and Motorhead on it was OK, but three bands don't make a festival, and complaining about a shitty undercard is just as valid as complaining about headliners. Actually, more so for proper festivals (Mayhem doesn't have enough bands really, it's just a long gig). If you go to a festival you actually spend more time watching the lower bill than you do watching the headliners.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

This is easily the worst Mayhem lineup ever. Not a single even halfway decent band on the bill (I guess Cannibal Corpse is ok but I don't care about them at all). Some of the other years have made me take pause before deciding to skip them because there were a few bands I would have liked to see, this year is an incredibly easy call.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Close your eyes forget your name

Quote:
That's where I disagree. For me, the worst year was probably this past year and even though I wasn't thrilled with a lot of the bands initially, I still had a great time. I guess what makes me question people who post on these forums and the official mayhem forums is the narrowmindedness when it comes to who plays. It's not the rockstar mayhem death/thrash festival. There are going to be a huge variety of genres represented as that's the point of the festival, to bring out a variety of fans to listen to different genres of rock/metal. Furthermore, people bitch about repeat headliners, but fail to use common sense when thinking about why they were chosen. Consider conflicting touring schedules, the money to bring in huge headliners like say Metallica or SOAD, or simply enough that their are only so many headliner quality bands that would make people want to stay till the end. Its almost imvpossible to not have a big name headliner who isn't a repeat. I've been to every mayhem and 4 Ozzfests and every year its the same stuck up metal elitists who bitch about mainstream bands playing. I guess what makes me not take any of these comments seriously is that the year when sslipknot, slayer, anthrax, and motorhead played, which in my opinion was by far the best year, I distinctly remember people bitching that it was a horrible lineup just because Devil Wears Prada and AA were on it. Ignoring those four previously mentioned bands and calling it a bad lineup because of two sidestage bands loses any credibility in my book.
I said this line-up sucks because none of the bands really interest me and most of them IMO are just recycled radio friendly bands that I cannot get into; if you like it, fine I have no problem with that good have fun; I do not speak for this board but I don't like the line-up and that's why I say it sucks
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM
N00B

Quote:
There's a difference between saying something sucks that happens to be mainstream and saying something sucks because it's mainstream.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
N00B

Quote:
I moreso disagree that every year this lineup is crap. I know there will always be people who hate the lineup, that comes with any tour. The thing with me is the complaint about the headliners. I don't disagree with the repeat headliner issues, but I don't know what people expect when there's only so many headline quality bands that people will stay for.