King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
I'm curious to know what are the various methods you guys are using to do this. I recently bought my first iPod (I've had nothing but non-Apple mp3 players up until now), so I guess I can start doing this using iTunes, which is how I assume a lot of you are doing it, but I'm curious what other music services are being used and how you guys (and gals) like them - ya know, pros and cons and all that.

Also, for those of you who use iTunes, how do you, personally, use it? Do you have your entire music collection in your library and only sync up certain artists / albums / playlists / genres to your various mobile devices at any given time, or do you add / remove files from your library as your listening tastes change, syncing the entire library every time you re-sync your device?

Life used to be so simple when I had non-Apple music players - I just dragged and dropped files on and off the things as I wanted to change my mobile listening library. I have a feeling I'm going to miss those days, but maybe not. That's why I'm asking the question, primarily.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
I only use iTunes for Podcasts and putting stuff on my iPod. When i'm listening to music on my computer I use Windows Media Player. I just like the interface and the way it organizes my library better than iTunes does. Even if i'm listening to podcasts on my PC, which is a lot more rare these days, I'll still occasionally just download the mp3 file directly and listen to it via Windows media, or even stream it from the source's website. WMP is also what I use to rip CDs, though their naming convention and source they grab it from can be hit/miss at times, and I actually had to rip the last Skeletonwitch CD with iTunes when WMP couldn't find the info in their database, and i'm far too lazy to insert that shit in manually.

As for when i'm syncing my iPod, I throw everything in my library on there but always have the automatic sync turned off. I like manually adding stuff (music and podcasts alike) myself even if everything in my library is going in. When something's deleted from my iPod, i'll delete it from my PC as well. I'm duplicating efforts but i'm not letting Apple decide what I want and don't want. Plus automatically syncing your iPod fucks things up sometimes when you plug your iPod into someone else's computer. I have a 160 GB ipod and only about 35 GB of music, so keeping everything on there is not an issue since I never know when i'm in the mood for something I haven't listened to in a long time.

EDIT: should probably mention that when I say "Manually" add stuff, I'm not dragging each individual song or anything. I'm just clicking Autofill. I just mean I don't have it automatically sync up. I probably clarified that for nothing but whatever.
11/30 - Slipknot/Korn
12/27 - Protest the Hero

Last edited by AnthG; 02-27-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
I'm curious to know what are the various methods you guys are using to do this. I recently bought my first iPod (I've had nothing but non-Apple mp3 players up until now), so I guess I can start doing this using iTunes, which is how I assume a lot of you are doing it, but I'm curious what other music services are being used and how you guys (and gals) like them - ya know, pros and cons and all that.

Also, for those of you who use iTunes, how do you, personally, use it? Do you have your entire music collection in your library and only sync up certain artists / albums / playlists / genres to your various mobile devices at any given time, or do you add / remove files from your library as your listening tastes change, syncing the entire library every time you re-sync your device?

Life used to be so simple when I had non-Apple music players - I just dragged and dropped files on and off the things as I wanted to change my mobile listening library. I have a feeling I'm going to miss those days, but maybe not. That's why I'm asking the question, primarily.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
I used iTunes. I have multiple folders and playlists but I just use the mass "music" folder that has everything for most listening, since it's ninety-five percent my music. That's how the odd Bon Jovi or Twilight OST stuff shows up on my posts, it's my wife's I swear.

When I sync to my iPod though, I have a folder for just "my stuff". It keeps the Bon Jovi away.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 02-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thanks for the comments fellers. Keep 'em coming to the rest of ye.

Yeah I tried using WinAmp a few times Manks, and I just couldn't get into it. I keep going back to WMP for some reason. I don't use the library feature, though, because it annoys me to no end when the files I get (sometimes from sketchy sources, although I do buy and rip everything I like eventually) are improperly tagged and make a mess out of the library. Sounds like that'll probably happen when I become an iTunes user, so...yeah.

To AnthG and Adam - I have about 500 GB of music, which I keep on a portable hard drive, which is why it's extremely dificult for me to just hit shuffle on my entire library. My new iPod is only a Nano (16 GB), so I plan to transfer all of my stuff into the new library as I listen to it, basically, with the eventual goal of getting it all in there so I can catalog and keep track of it, and only sync the albums I care to listen to at any given time. Does anybody else do it that way? Am I asking for trouble, or is that a pretty workable method?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 02-27-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments fellers. Keep 'em coming to the rest of ye.

Yeah I tried using WinAmp a few times Manks, and I just couldn't get into it. I keep going back to WMP for some reason. I don't use the library feature, though, because it annoys me to no end when the files I get (sometimes from sketchy sources, although I do buy and rip everything I like eventually) are improperly tagged and make a mess out of the library. Sounds like that'll probably happen when I become an iTunes user, so...yeah.

To AnthG and Adam - I have about 500 GB of music, which I keep on a portable hard drive, which is why it's extremely dificult for me to just hit shuffle on my entire library. My new iPod is only a Nano (16 GB), so I plan to transfer all of my stuff into the new library as I listen to it, basically, with the eventual goal of getting it all in there so I can catalog and keep track of it, and only sync the albums I care to listen to at any given time. Does anybody else do it that way? Am I asking for trouble, or is that a pretty workable method?
I have maybe sixty gigabytes on my hard drive, and a two gigabyte iPod. I just use the random fill option and take what I get on the iPod. Then I'll use random fill the next day and so on.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 PM

^ Interesting idea. Since my library includes some classical, world music, jazz, comedy and spoken word stuff, that might get a little weird if I were to do it thataway.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM
N00B

You can add anything to your library from your external hard drive on iTunes, Windows Media, winamp, etc. and listen to it from it easily. Just gotta make sure your portable hard drive is turned on each time you're listening to music. It seems you don't do much music listening on your PC anyway, so if it's simply for the purposes of participating in this thread, you can just do it that way.
11/30 - Slipknot/Korn
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Actually, the majority of my listening is via PC these days, mostly because I have more ability to do it at work than anywhere else (even when I'm busy), and yes - I'm obviously aware that I have to have the hard drive plugged in if I want to listen.

What I was getting at is that I don't actually use the library function in WMP at all (neither to play music, nor to keep track of it). I simply browse to my HDD using Windows Explorer, highlight the folder I want to play (since I mostly tend to listen to full albums at a time), and then right click and press play. If I want to make a playlist of multiple albums from a certain artist, I just repeat the steps above and add each album to the current playlist (which I obviously don't actually save).

What I'm really trying to find out, I guess, is how the mechanics of using iTunes all the time are going to change my listening and storage habits. I'm not really hip to the gory details of what info gets copied to where when files are "sync-ed" since, as I said, I'm used to playing directly from my HDD or adding / deleting files to and from a generic (read: Non-Apple) mp3 device using drag-and-drop.

It's not that I'm afraid I won't be able to figure out how to do it - I'm just looking for ideas on the most efficient way to get things done before I do a lot of experimenting with ideas that other folks have already tried and found to be crappy.

As the saying goes - a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise man learns from the other guy's mistakes.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:31 PM
N00B

Whatever is saved in the ID3 Tags of the mp3 files (or whatever file format you use) is what will show up in Windows Media and iTunes, and presumably every media player. The artist name, song name, album name, release year, genre, etc. are what's filled in. If those are empty then it'll just display the file name.

The storage on your PC will stay the same. The reason I brought up the external hard drive being on and importing stuff is because when you add a song to your library in WMP and iTunes, you're essentially just adding a record of it. So when your hard drive is off and you open up whatever media player you're using, it'll still show all your music you've imported into it. So when you delete something from your library it'll always ask you if you want to get rid of the file from your computer as well, or just get rid of it in your library and keep the file itself.
11/30 - Slipknot/Korn
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM

In other words, iTunes acts a lot like WMP in terms of being a player and organizer of music. That's kinda what I figured. Well, as I said before, I've tried using the WMP library function and didn't care for it, but at least I understand its warts, and so I can deal. It'll be what it'll be.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
In other words, iTunes acts a lot like WMP in terms of being a player and organizer of music. That's kinda what I figured. Well, as I said before, I've tried using the WMP library function and didn't care for it, but at least I understand its warts, and so I can deal. It'll be what it'll be.
I think iTunes is great compared to the old Windows Media Players I used to have. Mind you, the last one I used was WinAMP circa 2004.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend