Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014
Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #71  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM
InFlamesOfBirchmen InFlamesOfBirchmen is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I like Deafheaven, but the songs can drag on and on.




Then they drag on longer.
I can respect that. Do you listen to a lot of black metal? I've noticed song length is something most bands of the genre struggle with. Negura Bunget seems to do the same thing. They keep it interesting, in my opinion, so it isn't as intrusive.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
mastodon421's Avatar
mastodon421 mastodon421 is offline
Not popular in Buffalo
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Swampscott,Massachusetts
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
At the risk of more Rugrats memes, can anyone offer a legitimate reason for their Deafheaven hate? I get it, their fan base consists of hispters and they like rap. But none of that is constructive or logical in the least. It's cool if it isn't your thing; but I'm curious to get an actual music-based argument.
I listed multiple legitimate reasons earlier in the thread, they just got kind of buried amongst all the Rugrats memes.
__________________
7/19 KSE/Unearth/ATB
7/22 Converge
8/9 Summer Slaughter
9/28 Coheed

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
slapguitarer's Avatar
slapguitarer slapguitarer is online now
Buahahahahaha
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I can respect that. Do you listen to a lot of black metal? I've noticed song length is something most bands of the genre struggle with. Negura Bunget seems to do the same thing. They keep it interesting, in my opinion, so it isn't as intrusive.
Yeah, I feel like if your complaint is "the black metal parts are too long and stay and don't change", you're not listening close enough. If it's just too long for you, so be it, but if you listen to Dream House, Kerry never plays that chord progression the same way. It's constantly changing and really beautiful.
__________________
8/10 Badr Vogu/Forn
8/21 Boris
8/22 Usnea/Lycus
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,322
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
I listed multiple legitimate reasons earlier in the thread, they just got kind of buried amongst all the Rugrats memes.
>calling image macros "memes"
>not liking Deafheaven

__________________
07/24 - Mutilation Rites
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/27 - Touche Amore
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
anomynous's Avatar
anomynous anomynous is offline
Metal-Setlistcore
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I can respect that. Do you listen to a lot of black metal? I've noticed song length is something most bands of the genre struggle with. Negura Bunget seems to do the same thing. They keep it interesting, in my opinion, so it isn't as intrusive.
Nope. I like what I've heard of NB, but I'm not really a black metal guy.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,322
Blog Entries: 19
Carcass just posted on Facebook about them being nominated for the Golden God Awards and they said that Deafheaven should've been nominated for Album of the Year.
__________________
07/24 - Mutilation Rites
07/25 - Masked Intruder
07/27 - Touche Amore
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM
TheNobleFaceHumper TheNobleFaceHumper is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Carcass just posted on Facebook about them being nominated for the Golden God Awards and they said that Deafheaven should've been nominated for Album of the Year.
Honestly kinda surprise they weren't, Golden Gods just seem to pick what's most popular in hard rock/metal.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 AM
treghet's Avatar
treghet treghet is offline
Altars of Radness
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
At the risk of more Rugrats memes, can anyone offer a legitimate reason for their Deafheaven hate? I get it, their fan base consists of hispters and they like rap. But none of that is constructive or logical in the least. It's cool if it isn't your thing; but I'm curious to get an actual music-based argument.
I like both black metal and shoegaze, but I don't think they meld together nicely. Shoegaze is an upbeat and artistic style of music while black metal is abrasive and dark. I want to listen to one or the other, not both. I suppose many people are drawn to the contrast of the two styles, but it sounds awkward to me. The vocals and blast beats don't fit with the atmosphere they create with the riffs and production style.
__________________
10.24 Satan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
between the buried and me, deafheaven, intronaut, the kindred

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:07 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008