Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
N00B

Manowar -- Chicago, IL -- February 8th, 2014

Incredibly intimate show last night at the Logan Square Auditorium. Originally I had tickets for the Royal Oak show in Michigan a day before, but because of the cancellation for whatever reasons the Detroit fans were offered to come to the Chicago show instead at the Concord Music Hall. An added bonus was anyone who came from Detroit, got $200 worth of merchandise (which turned out to be more than expected).
Since I have never seen Manowar and have wanted to for the last decade, this opportunity was something I didn’t want to miss out on. Me and my friends talked about it the night before and three of us were down. The next morning, we lost another comrade for the trek, since he wasn’t able to go. We left Canada around 9am. An hour into Michigan we stopped at a gas station/burger king, and I checked my iphone. I had about 5 texts from people saying the show in Chicago might be cancelled. Apparently the roof of the venue the night before collapsed and we would be updated once the damage was assessed. Me and my friend waited in our vehicle for about an hour outside of the area before we decided to see if the nearest city nearby had a mall so we could have something to do. We headed to the Battle Creek mall to loiter for a while until a decision was made. About 45 minutes later in the mall, I read on facebook, the show was going to proceed. We were ecstatic to say the least. About an hour later while on the road we were updated that the show would now be at a NEW venue a couple blocks away from the old
We started heading to Chicago, and once there around 5ish the traffic was fairly bad. Atleast the roads weren’t slippery in this winter weather. Not being use to city driving many f-bombs were dropped. Turn signals would have been heavily appreciated. Once we got off the main express way, we were fine, but the worry of parking now came to be. When we found the place there were parking meters we could park at but they only had a 2 hour limit. We searched for about 45 minutes for a parking spot but couldn’t find one. Eventually we parked in a lot where other cars were parked but there were no signs saying if was okay to or not (we didn’t get a ticket so that’s all that matters). A couple other cars parked by us, so we just went on from there.
As we walked around the corner to the venue, fans were telling us the show had been pushed back to 8pm from the original 7pm start time. So since we had the tummy rumblies we decided to eat a nearby diner. The place was packed with Manowar fans. We stayed their for about a half hour than got into line for the Kings of Metal. The line was HUGE! We were fairly far back and waited outside for I’d say an hour. Not nearly aslong as others had, but it was quite nippy.
The entrance to this place was incredibly small, a very narrow stairway that I was almost sure was going lead us to a roach infested apartment. As we went up a bigger flight of stairs it led us to a ballroom that I’m sure hosted small wedding receptions or even small local events. The stage was incredibly tiny at the back end of the room, with a merch table off to the side. On either side of the stage were two big projection screens that were used through the performance, which were just slightly smaller than the stage. The stage really only consisted of the drums and a couple of Manowar’s signature metal as fuck looking amps. I’m sure with a bigger venue more could have been done, but given the circumstances I really wasn’t complaining. Never did I think I was going to see Manowar in such an intimate setting. We went to the merch table to get our complementary gift bags, but as soon as it was our turn at the table, the lights went out. They stopped selling merch at that point, and it was show time.
We chose to stand off to the side to the left. We were right in front of one of the screens. Behind the screens were amps that blarred the loudest noises I have ever experienced at a show. But more oddly I’m surprised there weren’t more people trying to clamor to the front. As the band took the stage, the rocker in me just took over. The loudness was overwhelming. From ‘Manowar’ to ‘Black Wind Fire and Steel’ I was headbanging, fist pounding, singing the entire time. This was probably my only time to experience Manowar, and darn tooten straight I’m going to become a whiplashing animal. Their were definitely some times, especially the video material that I could of done without, but Manowar thought it was important for us to see, so whatever. Probably the best part of the show for me was seeing Eric do the awesome singing/screaming during ‘Kingdom Come’. Hail and Kill was awesome, but during the slow part at the beginning one of Manowar’s security guards, im guessing, ran into the audience and yelled at a fan for using a more professional camera. They got into a heated argument, and probably for everyone else around it probably ruined the song for them. I really enjoyed the beginning of the set, and how they pretty much played Kings of Metal back to front instead of front to back. But my one BIG disappointment was, I was really hoping they actually play Crown and the Ring. It just played over the speakers as their outro. They did say they were going to play all of Kings of Metal, so I was disappointed that they didn’t, but that would be harder song to pull off, without the choir and all.
At the end of the show I was incredibly happy, and I could complain that they didn’t play this and that, but its fucking Manowar, and just seeing Manowar finally, was more than I could ask for. They pulled off an amazing show given the circumstances and I’m glad I can check them off my bucket list of bands.

Setlist:

1. Manowar
2. Blood of My Enemies
3. Sign of the Hammer
4. The Lord of Steel
5. The Dawn of Battle
6. Blood of the Kings
7. Kingdom Come
8. Heart of Steel
9. Sting of the Bumblebee
10. Wheels of Fire
11. Hail and Kill
12. Kings of Metal
13. Warriors of the World United
14. Black Wind, Fire and Steel

Notes:
-The Warrior’s Prayer was played on the speakers before Blood of the Kings and the outro was The Crown and the Ring
-a lot of fans were left outside apparently because of a capacity limit, including those with tickets.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
That Guy

So what merch did you get?

I was going to go to the show tonight. I emailed Manowar's PR about doing an interview, and they sent me back an email saying they were happy to do it as long as I fill out a few forms. Then when I sent the email forms back, I never heard back from them. I don't have $100 to spare so I am staying home.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM
N00B

i got...

Me and my friend both got the same stuff pretty much. When we got to merch table, they asked us what our size was, and then proceeded to put a random shirt in the bag. My friend got a Triumph and Steel shirt, i got a Battle Hymns 2011 Tour shirt. We each got a flag, again random, i got a Kings of Metal MMXIV flag, and my friend a wicked Sign of the Hammer flag. Then we each got a collectible coin, a fairly big travel mug, a lanyard card thingy mabober (just a piece of plastic pretty much), a beanie, a manowar necklace (of the hammer), and then two cds (we each got a copy of Sons of Odin Ep and Gods of War, both of which i have). My friend also scored a backpatch, so he got an extra lucky bag.

I honestly thought we'd get a shirt and maybe some stickers, but they went all out for the Detroit fans.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
So what merch did you get?

I was going to go to the show tonight. I emailed Manowar's PR about doing an interview, and they sent me back an email saying they were happy to do it as long as I fill out a few forms. Then when I sent the email forms back, I never heard back from them. I don't have $100 to spare so I am staying home.
Forms? The fuck? Like, just to make sure that you're legit or something? Queensryche let me, a then-19 year old kid, do their third post-lawsuit interview and all I got was a "No questions about Geoff" a minute before, so why the hell does Manowar need a radio dude like you to fill out forms for an interview?!

Also this setlist is horseshit. Are they really charging 75 to 100 dollars for a 14 song set?
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 02-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Yeah the venue this was suppose to be at held like 1400 people and had the roof collapse from a EDM show the night before.

But I heard with the new venue they switched it to they went over capacity with it (which is odd because at the venue it was suppose to be at it wasn't sold out)

But fuck the $90 ticket price.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Given how long it's been since they've toured the U.S., I'm thinking they could fit more than fourteen songs in the set...especially for $100.

12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Forms? The fuck? Like, just to make sure that you're legit or something? Queensryche let me, a then-19 year old kid, do their third post-lawsuit interview and all I got was a "No questions about Geoff" a minute before, so why the hell does Manowar need a radio dude like you to fill out forms for an interview?!

Also this setlist is horseshit. Are they really charging 75 to 100 dollars for a 14 song set?
I can't post the PDF that came with it but this is the first part of the email i got back:

Quote:
Dear Josh,

Thank you for your interest in an interview with MANOWAR. No doubt the MANOWAR fans in Minneapolis will appreciate that you are planning to provide them with the latest news on the band, and indeed there are a lot of projects and developments to talk about.

We will be happy to look into the possibility of an interview if you could please fill out and return the below questionnaire. In the meantime, we encourage you to follow us on www.facebook.com/manowar and www.manowar.com where you can find the latest news and developments. We thank you for you loyalty and support of MANOWAR and are looking forward to hearing from you.

Interview request forms:
Fucking Bullshit is what it is. I can see that for the biggest bands out there, but not fucking Manowar.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM

14 songs headlining is borderline Megadeth lame. Perhaps it was because of the last minute venue change. Their European tour last year had a 22 song set.

Also, they did one-offs in Worcester in 2011 and 2012 and each show had at least 20 songs.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Awesome writeup! I'm glad you got to see them!

I very strongly considered going to this show but decided not to in case I had to work. Even though it sounds like a great show, I'm glad I decided not to go because if I got turned away, I'd be really angry. The set is disappointingly short, but I imagine just seeing Manowar would make me not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
14 songs headlining is borderline Megadeth lame. Perhaps it was because of the last minute venue change. Their European tour last year had a 22 song set.
It seems like a lot of bands that are huge in Europe and not so big in North America do this for some reason.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
N00B

Thanks for posting the review. I saw that they'll be back in Chicago on 11/15/14. Do you know if they're playing more US dates? I wanted to go to this tour, but I've only spent triple digits on a concert ticket 3x (OrionFest 2-day pass, Metallica w/ U2 at Madison Square Garden, and Springsteen @ Wrigley Field... and that was only $100 because of Ticketmaster fees). I think Manowar is deranged about how big they actually are. The one time I saw them was in Cleveland at Peabody's in 2002 in front of about 500 people. I'd love to see em again, though.
12/9 ETID
12/10 & 11 Snot
12/13 nonpoint
12/20 Battlecross
2/1 ABR/Erra
2/9 MH

Tags
manowar