Asia -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 17th, 2014
Sammy Hagar -- Las Vegas, NV -- October 18th, 2014
Tony MacAlpine -- Vienna, VA -- October 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Ha. When dookie came out who would've thought they'd go on to write the most annoying cliche song played over photo montages at proms and graduations forever....
It was my sister's high school graduation song and 5 different people played covers of it at her graduation. Top lel.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 02-01-2014, 05:19 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Conflicting. I still like this album.

But I hate so many of the bands that spawned from Green Day. It was one of the first cassettes that I ever bought (bought it same day as Get A Grip from Aerosmith). And I wore a lot of it out.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Conflicting. I still like this album.

But I hate so many of the bands that spawned from Green Day. It was one of the first cassettes that I ever bought (bought it same day as Get A Grip from Aerosmith). And I wore a lot of it out.
An appropriate reaction. Silverstein was good and look who spawned because of them.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I never bought this album. International Superhits and Warning were all I needed. I did always like to wander into a record store and stare at the cover for a few minutes though. I loved all the great references to poop, and the Black Sabbath reference still gives me a chuckle.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
An appropriate reaction. Silverstein was good and look who spawned because of them.
I was definitely going way deeper than Silverstein even though they are awful you probably know some of the places I was going to go w/ this.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
It's not about who came first, it's about who made the biggest impact.
Agreed, which is why Nirvana is more important to punk in the 90's and beyond than any of those bands. Nirvana signaled the shift. Green Day and everyone else just rode their coattails. Seriously, without Nirvana, you probably don't even know who Green Day is.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Agreed, which is why Nirvana is more important to punk in the 90's and beyond than any of those bands. Nirvana signaled the shift. Green Day and everyone else just rode their coattails. Seriously, without Nirvana, you probably don't even know who Green Day is.
Nirvana was grunge. They caused the grunge explosion of the 90s. They did not propel punk bands into the limelight, they paved the way for Alice In Chains and Bush and bands like that. If you want to say Nirvana made it okay for louder bands to be popular, Green Day made it okay for punk bands to be popular.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Nirvana was grunge. They caused the grunge explosion of the 90s. They did not propel punk bands into the limelight, they paved the way for Alice In Chains and Bush and bands like that. If you want to say Nirvana made it okay for louder bands to be popular, Green Day made it okay for punk bands to be popular.
Of course they caused the grunge explosion, but they also made it OK for simple, poppy, power-chord rock to exist in the mainstream. You wouldn't even know about Green Day or The Offspring or Blink-182 if it weren't for Nirvana. The effects of Nevermind are far reaching... I agree that Dookie was one of the first big pop-punk albums in the 90's, but if Dookie didn't get made, something else would have taken its place. Nothing would have taken Nevermind's place.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:21 PM

I guess I just don't agree. I feel Nirvana had a bigger impact on music, but Green Day specifically had more of an impact on punk music.
10/27 - DJ Qbert
10/29 - Real Friends
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't agree. I feel Nirvana had a bigger impact on music, but Green Day specifically had more of an impact on punk music.
That's fine, and I agree with your first statement anyway. Green Day was obviously one of the first big pop punk bands in the 90's but I'm not sure how influential they were. Doesn't matter, Dookie was released 20 years ago and I did listen to it a lot as a teenager learning how to play guitar.