Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Black Sabbath
Genre: Doom Metal/Heavy Metal

This album has been discussed to death here, so I won't go into much. All I really have to say is the first few songs of this album are outstanding, and wouldn't be out of place on their first few albums. Some absolutely killer riffage, heavy heavy heavy as they always have been, and Ozzy sounds better on this album than he has on his past.

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 AM

Devourment
Concieved in Sewage
Genre: Brutal Death Metal

First off, I will say that in some aspects, this album is a disappointment. Widely considered one of the pioneers of, and perhaps one of the best bands of the Slam Death Metal genre, the band steps away from that on this release. This is not a Slam record, but instead a very solid modern Brutal Death Metal album. Of course all the old slam dudes threw a fit, because for some reason they were expecting another 'Molesting the Decapitated'. Ok, 14 years later, with only 2 of the 5 members remaining, and those members not having the same responsibilites, they aren't going to record an album of that magnitude. People love to complain, and some people are extremely hard to please. Mike and Ruben have said in interviews that they've been writing similar music for almost 15 years, and wanted to change things up a bit. OK, I can understand that.

Anyway, a great modern brutal death album. There are still some quality slams on the album, Fifty Ton Warchine, the title track, and Parasitic Eruption are the slammiest songs. The title track is an extremely heavy and chuggy number. The production throughout is top notch, although I wouldn't mind the bass being more noticeable. Mike's vocals are different on this one. More typical death metal growls, in comparison to slam gurgles. He does blast out some slam gurgle on 'Parasitic Eruption' that rival the best and deepest he's ever done. After a disappointing opener, 'Legalize Homicide', there's really not a weak track on this album. Unfortunately, shortly before Devourment's first tour in years, bad news came out of Devourment camp. Ruben (guitar and 2nd longest tenured member) and Eric (drums) apparently left the band. Mike has said he and Chris (bass) will continue on, but that remains to be seen.

Concieved in Sewage
Parasitic Eruption

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

Waking The Cadaver
Real Life Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Brutal Deathcore

Go ahead and lambast away. I'll take my lumps from this one, or get "Lumped Up." See what I did there? 7 years have passed since 'Chased Through the Woods...........' became infamous. I agree, their first album was nothing good, and wasn't real fun to listen to. Still felt the immense amount of hatred was undeserved. Death metal fans hated them cause they thought the band was deathcore. Deathcore fans hated them because it wasn't deathcore. Not the best argument, but I think you see what I mean. Shitty album? Yes. Worse thing to ever be put on compact disc as some made it out to be? No. The band made another album 'Beyond Cops, Beyond God', which barring the name (which happens to be one of the dumbest album titles I've ever heard), wasn't a bad album. More straight forward death metal w/ aspects of brutal death. Not bad, not great.

But this album fucking slams. The absolute definition of "wigger bro slam", and for whatever reason, I love it. It just sounds good to me. It's a mix of Slam Death, Brutal Deathcore, and Beatdown Hardcore. Some very catchy guitar riffs, production is apropriate for the album's style, and while I still don't think their lead singer is outstanding, I don't mind the vocals whatsoever, except for the occasional pig squeal. This is just a heavy, fun, brutal ass album that is great to crank while working out or driving (I like to listen to as much death metal as possible when driving). Yes, I realize that an 8th grader in Special Education class (not making fun, just using an example) could write comparable lyrics, the slams and beatdowns combined with some catchy guitar riffs and overall heaviness make this an extremely fun and energizing listen to my ears.

Lumped Up
Life Lesson
MONEY POWER DEATH
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMetal468 View Post
MONEY POWER DEATH
TILL I GET MY RESPECT

Like I said, lyrics an 8th grader could write. But it's a fun album!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 AM

Whoops, forgot about the thread, here are my top 2 of 2013:

#2: Terror - Live By the Code
#1: Soilwork - The Living Infinite