Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 01-26-2014, 05:20 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Axxion -- Toronto, Ontario -- January 25th, 2014

This was a local show featuring a few of Toronto's many insanely talented traditional heavy metal band. Phantom, one of my favourites from the scene, was supposed to be one of the openers, but they cancelled last minute and The Rough Boys were added instead. Luckily, Phantom is playing next month, but those guys would have made this great show even better.

Manacle were up first. These guys are really new, and only have a 2 song rehearsal tape. The playing was a bit loose, and the singer forgot the lyrics a couple of times, but it didn't detract from the performance at all. This was just really great, fun heavy metal. If they had something on CD, I'd definitely buy it, but I'm seeing them again next month with Cauldron, so hopefully they have something then. Not sure of their set, but from looking at the rehearsal tape, they definitely played "Live Fast, Die Fast".

After a long delay, The Rough Boys started playing. I know they've played a lot of Toronto shows, but I'd never seen them before. They play some weird brand of punk/metal/thrash, and while it was obviously very good for what it is, it didn't really fit the tone of the show, and it seemed like they played forever because they went through so many songs.

Axxion went on shortly after 12 and killed it. Their style of music is just something everybody can enjoy. Before they went on, they set off the smoke alarm with their smoke machine, and as it was going off, they invited a guy on stage who proposed to his girlfriend. Once they got going, it was pretty nuts. Sir Shred is a brilliant guitar player, and the band as a whole has a really good stage presence. I personally had hoped to see "Still Hungry", but it's hard to complain about the set we got otherwise. During "Stallion", some firefighters came in and realized that there was no fire, so they left. After the show, I picked up the EP and full-length, since I only had a promo of it. Great show, but I'm pretty tired of shows ending after 1 AM, with doors at 9, and the first band not going on until 10:30.

Axxion
Crazy Nights
High Bars
Wild Racer
New Song
Stallion
On The Edge
Cover (no clue what this was)
?
Hard Rockin'
Ride of the Chariots
Tonight
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 AM
with his arms outstretched

Where was this?

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 01-26-2014, 06:10 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Where was this?
Bovine Sex Club. I'd never been there before, but it's a really small/dingy bar on Queen Street. Definitely a decent place to see a show, but it's not advertised at all. My buddy and I couldn't find it and we were counting the numbers on the stores we passed. It was just a door in the wall, that wasn't even open when doors were at 9.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:08 AM
with his arms outstretched

I've heard of that place. I was about to see Sons of Otis there back in early 2000 but the name creeped me and my friends out so we skipped it.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM
N00B

I agree with show times, ending after 1 just doesn't do it for me either.

Tags
axxion