King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

5.Battlecross-War of Will

Battlecross is often written off because they open up a lot of tours and relentlessly pimp their band on social media. Battlecross is much more than that and I honestly think they're one of the most promising young bands coming up at the moment. They play a combination of thrash and melodic death metal that is heavy on killer riffs (of both the fast and melodic variety) and whirlwind energy. War of Will serves as a natural progression for Battlecross after their impressive 2011 breakout record Pursuit of Honor. The skeleton of what made Pursuit of Honor special is still present, they've just gotten better at their niche. The songwriting is more polished with a big improvement on their melo-death end of their sound (on "Get Over It", "Never Coming Back" and "Wage a War" they write better Gothenburg-style riffs than one of the original Gothenburg bands, Dark Tranquility, did on their 2013 record.) and the production is far cleaner and balanced than before. Another thing that has also stood out to me is just the sheer amount of talent they possess as a band. Guitarist Tony Asta effortlessly rips through fret-melting solos, Don Slater is a rare talent on bass that is actually given ample time to shine and not pushed into the background, Kyle "Gumby" Gunther has a sinister tinge to both his high-pitched and low-pitched screams and of course, session drummer Shannon Lucas delivers another insane performance on this record. War of Will is the work of a band that demands respect in the metal community.

Standout Tracks
1.Wage a War
2.Never Coming Back
3.The Will to Overcome

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

4.Protest the Hero-Volition

Volition can essentially be thought of as a "best of" album for Protest the Hero album. The grand scope of Keizia, the relentless chaos and brutality of Fortress and the beautiful melodies of Scurrilous are combined into one glorious package on Volition. These elements come together so organically and in typical Protest the Hero fashion, change drastically on a whim with spectacular results. One of the many examples of these different sides converging into one is the second track of the album "Drumhead Trial". "Drumhead Trial" starts off with a fast-paced yet melodic verse before descending into a crushing metalcore section at the halfway point before shifting gears again to a subtle outro with Rody Walker switching off vocals with little-known singer Kayla Howran (I don't know what is it with this band but between Howran and frequent collaborator Jadea Kelly, the Protest guys always find amazing female singers to work with.) I'm not knocking Scurrilous because it's an excellent record, but there is a lot more diversity on Volition. Scurrilous had more of an enhanced focus on melody, here the band has a reawakening of their metal side with the return of the heavier riffing and screaming of their earlier material to the fold. The return of the metal elements is more than welcome as Rody Walker's devastatingly badass screams and groove-oriented riffing are two of the major things that initially drew me to Protest the Hero. The best part about the return of the heaviness is the fact that none of the other elements suffer because of it. The band still bangs out top-notch melodies and memorable choruses in spades, they are now just broken up a bit with bursts of hair-raising intensity (especially on the string of the aforementioned "Drumhead Trial", "Tilting Against Windmills" "Without Prejudice" and "Yellow Teeth", which may be the strongest sequence of songs they've ever produced)

However, the record isn't just a trip down memory lane, the band brings plenty of fresh ideas to the table to complement the returning elements. Songs like "Mist" and "Skies" sound like they nothing they've ever done before. "Mist" is one of the most emotional tracks they've ever made with passionate vocals from Walker, layered riffing that ranges from punk to post-rock and an almost classical outro featuring violins, acoustic guitar and a haunting piano section. "Skies" closes out the album with another successful trek into the previously uncharted waters for the band. "Skies" is easily the most progressive territory they've entered as a band with gorgeous ambient riffing in the beginning and end of the song that took me completely by surprise They've always been an act that likes to change things up and Volition sees them expanding their sound further than ever before.

Standout Tracks
1.Yellow Teeth
2.Without Prejudice
3.Drumhead Trial

Old 01-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Harper Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
4.Protest the Hero-Volition

Volition can essentially be thought of as a "best of" album for Protest the Hero album. The grand scope of Keizia, the relentless chaos and brutality of Fortress and the beautiful melodies of Scurrilous are combined into one glorious package on Volition. These elements come together so organically and in typical Protest the Hero fashion, change drastically on a whim with spectacular results. One of the many examples of these different sides converging into one is the second track of the album "Drumhead Trial". "Drumhead Trial" starts off with a fast-paced yet melodic verse before descending into a crushing metalcore section at the halfway point before shifting gears again to a subtle outro with Rody Walker switching off vocals with little-known singer Kayla Howran (I don't know what is it with this band but between Howran and frequent collaborator Jadea Kelly, the Protest guys always find amazing female singers to work with.) I'm not knocking Scurrilous because it's an excellent record, but there is a lot more diversity on Volition. Scurrilous had more of an enhanced focus on melody, here the band has a reawakening of their metal side with the return of the heavier riffing and screaming of their earlier material to the fold. The return of the metal elements is more than welcome as Rody Walker's devastatingly badass screams and groove-oriented riffing are two of the major things that initially drew me to Protest the Hero. The best part about the return of the heaviness is the fact that none of the other elements suffer because of it. The band still bangs out top-notch melodies and memorable choruses in spades, they are now just broken up a bit with bursts of hair-raising intensity (especially on the string of the aforementioned "Drumhead Trial", "Tilting Against Windmills" "Without Prejudice" and "Yellow Teeth", which may be the strongest sequence of songs they've ever produced)

However, the record isn't just a trip down memory lane, the band brings plenty of fresh ideas to the table to complement the returning elements. Songs like "Mist" and "Skies" sound like they nothing they've ever done before. "Mist" is one of the most emotional tracks they've ever made with passionate vocals from Walker, layered riffing that ranges from punk to post-rock and an almost classical outro featuring violins, acoustic guitar and a haunting piano section. "Skies" closes out the album with another successful trek into the previously uncharted waters for the band. "Skies" is easily the most progressive territory they've entered as a band with gorgeous ambient riffing in the beginning and end of the song that took me completely by surprise They've always been an act that likes to change things up and Volition sees them expanding their sound further than ever before.

Standout Tracks
1.Yellow Teeth
2.Without Prejudice
3.Drumhead Trial
Nice review. Yellow Teeth is my favorite track as well.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

Finish this yo!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
Finish this yo!
This.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Appreciate the love from you guys. I'll try and finish this shit tonight. Here's #3 for the moment:
3.The Dillinger Escape Plan-One of Us is the Killer

One of Us is the Killer is the most restrained attack The Dillinger Escape Plan has unleashed thus far. By restrained I mean there's more moments to breathe in-between the musical tornadoes Dillinger stirs up than ever before. The artsier direction of the album sees Dillinger crafting two of the best slow songs of their career in "Nothing's Funny" and "One of Us is the Killler" (which is essentially a showcase of the amazing vocal range Greg Puiciato has.) Of course for every slow song, there are also songs like "Prancer" and "When I Lost My Best" that just rip your face off with the relentless, pummeling energy they give off. As usual with Dillinger, my favorite moments of One of Us is the Killer is when the two sides of their sound collide on the same track. Much of the second half of the album sees the band crafting songs with big hooks, beautiful melodic passages and moments of balls-out insanity ("Paranoia Shields", "Crossburner" and "Magic That I Held You Prisoner" being the standouts) and the results are just glorious. Dillinger may have become a bit more accessible with One of Us is the Killer, but they sure as hell aren't softening up. It's beautiful, it's chaotic, it's the Dillinger fucking Escape Plan.

Standout Tracks
1.Paranoia Shields
2.One of Us is the Killer
3.Crossburner

Old 01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

2.Killswitch Engage-Disarm the Descent

Yeah I was one of the assholes that led to Disarm the Descent finishing in the site's year-end top 10 I've defended why I loved this album so many times here, so I'll keep this brief. Disarm the Descent quite simply was a brilliant throwback to the glory days of metalcore and Killswitch as a band: Jesse Leach delivers an amazing vocal performance, the hooks/riffs are catchy as all hell and the energy level is infectious. Disarm the Descent is a bold reminder of exactly why Killswitch became one of my favorite bands and a triumphant return to the band for Leach.

Standout Tracks
1.Beyond the Flames
2.The Hell in Me
3.A Tribute to the Fallen

Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

1.Revocation-Revocation

In honor of this being my album of the year, here is the full review I wrote for my blog back in August when this was released.

Boston technical death metal/thrash outfit Revocation has become one of the most popular extreme metal bands in the underground right now. Their newest self-titled release should see Revocation hitting the next level of popularity as they continue to prove their place as one of the modern masters of heavy metal.

Revocation doesn't necessarily see the band going into new territory with their sound, it just takes their established sound and makes more it polished. With Revocation you know you're going to get high levels of musicianship across the board, but this go-round the songwriting is beefed up and has never been better. Each track just has a better sense of flow and organization between balancing the different ends of their sound (Case in point on "Archfiend", which transfers very organically from tech-death to a beautiful acoustic section at the end of the song.) The tracks are longer than normal for them, which allows them to write more tight and exciting material that builds upon their technical strengths they've shown in the past. For the first time in their career they've crafted an album that maintains its quality all the way through with nothing even close to filler. Aside from the better songwriting, the biggest improvement on this record is the riffs. Revocation has always been a band that has had its fair share of quality riffs, but this record just takes it to the next level. Everything from crushing old-school death groove riffs (the ending of "Invidious", which is one of the most punishing, headbang-worthy riffs I've ever heard) to melodic gems ("The Gift You Gave",) Revocation doesn't a go song without dropping numerous catchy licks that are absolutely infectious to the listener. It doesn't matter if you like traditional death metal grooves or progressive riffing or anything in-between, Revocation has something for every metal riff connoisseur on this record. Of course, it wouldn't be a Revocation album without talking about the solowork of guitarist/vocalist David Davidson. Davidson once again proves why he is at the top of the heap of metal guitarists with yet another barrage of guitar wizardry on this record . His combination of fret-melting proficiency ( the solo on "Numbing Agents" made my head spin) and variety of solos make him the undisputed bests soloer in modern metal in my eyes. You never what you're going to get from him and I've yet to be not highly impressed by any solo he lays down.

Records like this make me proud to be a metal fan. This outing sees Revocation keeping their traditional sound in tact, while improving on it with more focused songwriting featuring the best riffs and harmonies they've ever written. This is clearly a band that know it's strengths and knows how to naturally build upon them on each new release. If the quality of Revocation holds up upon future listens (which so far it has through four full playthroughs and I'd be shocked if it didn't continue to hold up,) this will probably be my favorite record of the year. As a longtime fan of Revocation, this is the record that I've been waiting for them to put out. This record is just fifty minutes of fast, riffy and sometimes progressive heavy metal with mind-blowing musicianship that is pure bliss to listen to. This is a can't miss album for any fan of extreme and/or thrash metal and further cements the growing legacy of Revocation as one of the most exciting moderns acts in all of metal.

Standout Tracks
1.Numbing Agents
2.Archfiend
3.Invidious

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Look at me now, using torches of fire, look higher than anyone else, I am the great juggler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
1.Revocation-Revocation

In honor of this being my album of the year, here is the full review I wrote for my blog back in August when this was released.

Boston technical death metal/thrash outfit Revocation has become one of the most popular extreme metal bands in the underground right now. Their newest self-titled release should see Revocation hitting the next level of popularity as they continue to prove their place as one of the modern masters of heavy metal.

Revocation doesn't necessarily see the band going into new territory with their sound, it just takes their established sound and makes more it polished. With Revocation you know you're going to get high levels of musicianship across the board, but this go-round the songwriting is beefed up and has never been better. Each track just has a better sense of flow and organization between balancing the different ends of their sound (Case in point on "Archfiend", which transfers very organically from tech-death to a beautiful acoustic section at the end of the song.) The tracks are longer than normal for them, which allows them to write more tight and exciting material that builds upon their technical strengths they've shown in the past. For the first time in their career they've crafted an album that maintains its quality all the way through with nothing even close to filler. Aside from the better songwriting, the biggest improvement on this record is the riffs. Revocation has always been a band that has had its fair share of quality riffs, but this record just takes it to the next level. Everything from crushing old-school death groove riffs (the ending of "Invidious", which is one of the most punishing, headbang-worthy riffs I've ever heard) to melodic gems ("The Gift You Gave",) Revocation doesn't a go song without dropping numerous catchy licks that are absolutely infectious to the listener. It doesn't matter if you like traditional death metal grooves or progressive riffing or anything in-between, Revocation has something for every metal riff connoisseur on this record. Of course, it wouldn't be a Revocation album without talking about the solowork of guitarist/vocalist David Davidson. Davidson once again proves why he is at the top of the heap of metal guitarists with yet another barrage of guitar wizardry on this record . His combination of fret-melting proficiency ( the solo on "Numbing Agents" made my head spin) and variety of solos make him the undisputed bests soloer in modern metal in my eyes. You never what you're going to get from him and I've yet to be not highly impressed by any solo he lays down.

Records like this make me proud to be a metal fan. This outing sees Revocation keeping their traditional sound in tact, while improving on it with more focused songwriting featuring the best riffs and harmonies they've ever written. This is clearly a band that know it's strengths and knows how to naturally build upon them on each new release. If the quality of Revocation holds up upon future listens (which so far it has through four full playthroughs and I'd be shocked if it didn't continue to hold up,) this will probably be my favorite record of the year. As a longtime fan of Revocation, this is the record that I've been waiting for them to put out. This record is just fifty minutes of fast, riffy and sometimes progressive heavy metal with mind-blowing musicianship that is pure bliss to listen to. This is a can't miss album for any fan of extreme and/or thrash metal and further cements the growing legacy of Revocation as one of the most exciting moderns acts in all of metal.

Standout Tracks
1.Numbing Agents
2.Archfiend
3.Invidious
Fuck I love this album. Whereas most newer metal bands will crap out after a couple of albums, Revocation are on their fourth and it is by far their best
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 PM
And now itís time to pull through. Something I must do with or without you.

Need to relisten to TDEP and Revocation albums that's for sure.

Awesome thread dude!