Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Humanaut

EP/Compilation/Live Albums of 2013 -#29-#20

29. Seether - 2002 - 2013

A 2-disc release that had a best of on one CD and unreleased material on another. Solid best of release from a hard rock band that has been around for a while.

28. Puscifer - Donkey Punch the Night

Exactly what I expected from Puscifer but I wanted more. Breathe (Drumcell rework) is one of my favorite tracks of the year though.

27. Skindred - Kill the Power

I thought they had fallen off of the face of the earth but my favorite Welsh rockers are back. The only disappointing thing is that out of the 6 tracks given to us, 5 of them are remixes of the only original song on the EP. Come on, Benji.......

26. Dream Theater - Happy Holidays

Very cool idea from a band that I find extremely boring live. On CD, I can listen to them nonstop but live just ends up being a different story for me. Glad to see they released this free and it was composed of everything that didn't make the "Live at Luna Park" release.

25. 3 Inches of Blood - Live at the Mushroom Vol.1-3

Quality live recordings of some 3IOB classics. I love how they did different artwork for the 3 different EPs. Yes, I composed them into a single one because it makes sense.

24. Baroness - Live at Madia Vale

A solid live release from one of my favorite bands. Enough said!

23. Finntroll - Blodsvept

A teaser for the new album that included a cover, a live song, and a demo track. Even Finntroll can do no wrong with teaser EPs.

22. American Head Charge - Shoot

AHC is back!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited when this was released and even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, the future looks bright if the new full length continues down this path. Writhe is slowly becoming one of my favorite songs of the year.

21. Scar the Martyr - Scar the Martyr EP

Even though the line up for this band should have swayed me instantly I was still skeptical before I listened to this. After the meltdown with Darkest Hour and the standstill of the Kris Norris Projekt, I'm glad Kris is playing in a band such as this now. Jed and him kill it throughout this thing. It's nice to see two extra tracks that didn't make the album included on this.

20. Toxic Holocaust - From the Ashes of Nuclear Destruction

The past EPs and splits compiled into a single release, thrashing your face off even with the songs that miss their mark.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Humanaut

EP/Compilation/Live Albums of 2013 - #19 - #11

19. Paradise Lost - Tragic Illusion 25 (The Rarities)

A walkthrough from the birthing of gothic metal up until now of their rare and hard to find tracks. Well worth the money spent on this one.

18. Dew Scented - Insurgent

In my opinion, a massive step up from the Ill-Natured & Innoscent compilation released back in 2003. A nice eclectic collection from these death metal veterans that captures what they are all about in a release that is mostly made up of live and b-sides.

17. Blood Eagle - Kill Your Idols

Made up of members from Volbeat, Mnemic, Illdisposed, Raunchy, and Hatesphere (Danish supergroup). I stumbled upon this by accident after reading a post on FB that Mnemic was possibly going to take a hiatus. The most excited I was for an EP release all year (even more than AHC) but I was let down that it was only 3 tracks. Still, one of my most anticipated releases of 2014.

16. Black Label Society - Unblackened

Black Label Society in acoustic mode. It works. Surprisingly, it works extremely well.

15. Black Crown Initiate - Song of the Crippled Bull

I ran across this EP in the most unexpected of places: Dave Mustaine's 2013 end of the year list on MetalSucks. I too thought since it was Mr.Mustaine listing this pretty high up in his list that it was a bunch of poop. How wrong I was, not only with this release but Dave's end of the year list. 4 releases (including this one) made my top lists of 2013. Check this out. These guys could blow up in 2014 if their full length contains a little more creativity behind their songs.

14. Equilibrium - Waldschrien

Despite having a 12-year demo song in the making finally completed and a cover of the theme from Skyrim, I was left wanting more after it ended. Hopefully the new album satisfies this need.

13. Grave - Morbid Ascent

Some of the best Swedish death metal you will ever here. Grave's track record reinforces that. Despite rehashing some of their older songs I found myself continually coming back to listen to this throughout the year.

12. Steven Wilson - Drive Home

Since I had to work on the day Steven Wilson came to Tampa on the tour supporting "The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)" this was the closest thing to going to that show that I could have purchased. It's Steven Wilson.

11. Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned

One of my top 10 of 2012 released as an acoustic album?!?!?! SI SI SI!!!!!! It complements "Dead End Kings" superbly and had an emotional effect on me as I listened through it for the first time. Not an Anathema "Weather Patterns" effect but about 60% of that feeling I got on my first listen.

Last edited by illninoese; 01-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Humanaut

EP/Compilation/Live Albums of 2013 - #10 - #1

10. Clutch - Earth Rocker Live

Earth Rocker played in the same track order as on the album. This release came out of nowhere and made me extremely sad that I missed out on seeing Clutch in 2013. This made up for it since I was able to hear the whole album live.

9. Hello Demons...meet Skeletons - Choices

Clint Lowery's (Sevendust guitarist) acoustic-ish solo project. This is the last EP from HDMS (bringing the total to 4). I splurged and bought the limited edition release of this. It is heavier than the previous 3 EPs which I wasn't expecting but it doesn't take away anything from this last release. I'm glad to have been able to follow Clint on this solo journey from the beginning to this incredible end.

8. Cult of Luna - Vertikal II

An extension to one of my favorite albums of the year with a Justin Broadrick remix of Vicarious Redemption (19 minutes long) that he nails and 3 newly recorded songs that were written but never recorded for Vertikal.

7. BAT - Primitive Age

I know this is considered a demo but honestly it could have been an EP and should have been an EP so I am going to treat this as such. The newer wave of thrash can be brought to new levels with this band. A straightforward musical approach to the genre with some awesome ideas that allow the songs to breathe and stand out to the listener.

6. Axeslasher - Anthology of Terror

If it weren't for MetalSetlists I would have never found out about Axeslasher. Since we are nearing the top 5 and the end of the list it's should be self explanatory to just check these last 6 EPs out without needing a description or my own 2 cents.

5. Insomnium - Ephemereal

4. Smash Potater - In Buffet There Is No Law!

3. A Canorous Quintet - The Quintessence

2. Anathema - Untouchable

1. Keep of Kalessin Introspection
Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

I thought Corrections House was absolutely amazing when I saw them. I guess you just have to be into noise/drone to appreciate it.

Also, that 3 Inches of Blood release doesn't make any sense. Why didn't they just put out one live album with six songs on it rather than three with two songs on each?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Humanaut

Soundtracks of 2013

I didn't listen to many this year but the ones I did were SUPERB!!!!!! Here they are, from #7 to #1.

7. American Hustle OST - Various Artists

6. Monsters University OST - Randy Newman

5. Mud OST - David Wingo

4. The Last of Us OST - Gustavo Santaolalla

3. Trance OST - Various Artists

2. Gravity OST - Steven Price

1. FarCry 3 Blood Dragon OST - PowerGlove
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
I thought Corrections House was absolutely amazing when I saw them. I guess you just have to be into noise/drone to appreciate it.

Also, that 3 Inches of Blood release doesn't make any sense. Why didn't they just put out one live album with six songs on it rather than three with two songs on each?
Yeah, I think it would have helped to have listened to the album for Corrections House before I saw them. It was their first US tour though and they only had a demo out at the time I believe. I didn't know what to expect so what I got threw me off. I will give them another try though.

Marketing. CM Distro had a bunch of pre-order packages for those 3 EPs, all on vinyl. They are good live recordings though but I agree, it is a little obnoxious to have 3 separate EPs for six songs.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Axeslasher and Smash Potater!
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Axeslasher and Smash Potater!
Yes indeedy! Thanks for sharing those. They instantly made the top 10.