Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

21.Conducting From the Grave-Conducting From the Grave

It's good see someone can still inject life into deathcore in 2013. Conducting from the Grave left Sumerian and decided to self-release their third full-length and in the process they release the most layered and rewarding album of their career The base of the music is much more death metal than -core orientated and their willingness to experiment with melody and occasional clean vocal lines further separates them from your stereotypical deathcore band. The secret weapon of Conducting From the Grave are the twin guitar of John Abernathy and Jeff Morgan, who are amongst most underrated guitar players in the entire world of modern metal imo. Their versatility allows to them write everything from stirring melodic passages to crushing breakdowns with ease and precision. Not to mention, they both can absolutely shred when you want to him (and shred they do on album standouts "Tyrant", "Dante", "Signs" and "The Harvest".) The well-crafted music is punctuated by the powerful vocals of Mikey Powell. Powell has greatly improved as a vocalist since joining the band in 2010 with distinct high screams and crushing, near-guttural lows. Conducting From the Grave will get written off because they are a deathcore act, but they have crafted some of the most blistering, complex and just plain best extreme metal of 2013.

Standout Tracks
1.Tyrant
2.Signs
3.The Harvest

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mastodon421; 01-10-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

20.After the Burial-Wolves Within

Wolves Within is exactly the bounceback record that After the Burial needed after In Dreams. The punishing grooves, incendiary solos, powerful vocals (major props to Anthony Notarmaso for his performance on this record, he continues to improve on each release he's been featured on) and gorgeous melodies that made them one of the best young bands out there are back in full force. Wolves Within just seems a lot more natural and fluid than In Dreams was. They are in their element when they're creating groove-heavy deathcore with flourishes of progressive riffing and speedy solowork, not screwing around with clean vocals and keeping the restraints on their twin-guitar attack. Wolves Within has me excited to see where the band goes from here and gives them their rightful spot back at the top of the Sumerian Records/deathcore heap.

Standout Tracks
1.Nine Summers
2.Pennyweight
3.Disconnect

Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

19.Scale the Summit-The Migration

Scale the Summit continues to impress the hell out of me. The Migration has all the typical beautiful landscapes you've come to expect from them with an added heavy crunch to keep things fresh. It was cool to see Scale the Summit embrace their metal side more on this record after making such a moody and dark record last time out on The Collective. The band just has a such a knack for creating a different atmosphere on each record that is pretty much unparalleled by any other instrumental music I've listened to and the beautiful yet crushing vibe of The Migration is my favorite journey that Scale the Summit has taken me on so far.

Standout Tracks
1.Oracle
2.The Dark Horse
3.The Olive Tree

Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

18.Kanye West-Yeezus

If you had told me in 2013 that I would enjoy Kanye West record this much, I would've questioned your sanity. I've never been a fan of West before, but Yeezus changed that immediately. Yeezus is the work of a man that wanted to break the confines of mainstream hip-hop and make a bold, bizarre record that didn't gel with the industry norms of a popular artist and West did just that. While it isn't quite Death Grips in terms of aggression and industrial, lo-fi production, there is a lot of rage and emotion delivered from West on this record backed by a plethora of amazing beats. From the pounding synths and percussion of album openers "On Sight" and "Black Skinhead" to the so-bizarre it's amazing sample of "Strange Fruit" by Nina Simone on "Blood on the Leaves", West makes a lot of bold, unconventional choices on this record that pay off handsomely. Yeezus is an album that is as in-your-face and over-the-top as West himself and even with a couple of filler tracks, it's one of the most exciting and refreshing albums of 2013.

Standout Tracks
1.On Sight
2.Black Skinhead
3.Blood on the Leaves

Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Alright I'm going to speed things along because this thread is getting too-drawn out and the interest level isn't exactly the highest Here are my picks for 17-11, I'll start the top 10 tonight or tomorrow.

17.letlive-The Blackest Beautiful

Standout Tracks
1.Banshee (Ghost Fame)
2.That Fear Fever
3.The Priest and Used Cars

16.Clutch-Earth Rocker

Standout Tracks
1.D.C. Sound Attack!
2.Crucial Velocity
3.Cyborg Bette

15.Hatebreed-The Divinity of Purpose

Standout Tracks
1.The Language
2.Honor Never Dies
3.Own Your World

14.Anciients-Heart of Oak

Standout Tracks
1.Falling in Line
2.Flood & Fire
3.Overthrone

13.Misery Signals-Absent Light

Standout Tracks
1.Two Solitudes
2.Reborn (An Execution)
3.Shadows and Depth

12.August Burns Red-Rescue & Restore

Standout Tracks
1.Count It All As Lost
2.Animals
3.Creative Captivity

11.Danny Brown-Old

Standout Tracks
1.25 Bucks
2.Lonely
3.Clean Up

Last edited by mastodon421; 01-12-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Alright I'm going to speed things along because this thread is getting too-drawn out and the interest level isn't exactly the highest Here are my picks for 17-11, I'll start the top 10 tonight or tomorrow.

Please do some more reviews towards the end of the thread at least... I read everything and enjoyed it a lot.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post

Please do some more reviews towards the end of the thread at least... I read everything and enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm still going to do the full write-ups for the top 10 so I'm not completely ending the thread, I just wanted to progress to the top 10 because of how long the thread has been so far. Hell I may go back and add the full write-ups at a later date.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post

17.letlive-The Blackest Beautiful

Standout Tracks
1.Banshee (Ghost Fame)
2.That Fear Fever
3.The Priest and Used Cars

16.Clutch-Earth Rocker

Standout Tracks
1.D.C. Sound Attack!
2.Crucial Velocity
3.Cyborg Bette

15.Hatebreed-The Divinity of Purpose

Standout Tracks
1.The Language
2.Honor Never Dies
3.Own Your World

14.Anciients-Heart of Oak

Standout Tracks
1.Falling in Line
2.Flood & Fire
3.Overthrone

13.Misery Signals-Absent Light

Standout Tracks
1.Two Solitudes
2.Reborn (An Execution)
3.Shadows and Depth

12.August Burns Red-Rescue & Restore

Standout Tracks
1.Count It All As Lost
2.Animals
3.Creative Captivity

11.Danny Brown-Old

Standout Tracks
1.25 Bucks
2.Lonely
3.Clean Up
All solid picks. I'll never understand why Misery Signals aren't bigger than they are.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Headbanger

BTW if Carolina wins today you pretty much wrap up the Metalsetlists NFL Pick Em pool. Go 9ers! hahaha
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
All solid picks. I'll never understand why Misery Signals aren't bigger than they are.
Thanks man. I think Misery Signals hiatus didn't do them any favors in terms of popularity, but they clearly have a somewhat strong following because they made a killing in crowdfunding to make Absent Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
BTW if Carolina wins today you pretty much wrap up the Metalsetlists NFL Pick Em pool. Go 9ers! hahaha
Yeah, but it's not looking so good for them right now. The 49ers finally woke up and they are tearing shit up right now