Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Waking The Cadaver
Real Life Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Brutal Deathcore

Go ahead and lambast away. I'll take my lumps from this one, or get "Lumped Up." See what I did there? 7 years have passed since 'Chased Through the Woods...........' became infamous. I agree, their first album was nothing good, and wasn't real fun to listen to. Still felt the immense amount of hatred was undeserved. Death metal fans hated them cause they thought the band was deathcore. Deathcore fans hated them because it wasn't deathcore. Not the best argument, but I think you see what I mean. Shitty album? Yes. Worse thing to ever be put on compact disc as some made it out to be? No. The band made another album 'Beyond Cops, Beyond God', which barring the name (which happens to be one of the dumbest album titles I've ever heard), wasn't a bad album. More straight forward death metal w/ aspects of brutal death. Not bad, not great.

But this album fucking slams. The absolute definition of "wigger bro slam", and for whatever reason, I love it. It just sounds good to me. It's a mix of Slam Death, Brutal Deathcore, and Beatdown Hardcore. Some very catchy guitar riffs, production is apropriate for the album's style, and while I still don't think their lead singer is outstanding, I don't mind the vocals whatsoever, except for the occasional pig squeal. This is just a heavy, fun, brutal ass album that is great to crank while working out or driving (I like to listen to as much death metal as possible when driving). Yes, I realize that an 8th grader in Special Education class (not making fun, just using an example) could write comparable lyrics, the slams and beatdowns combined with some catchy guitar riffs and overall heaviness make this an extremely fun and energizing listen to my ears.

Lumped Up
Life Lesson

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 01-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
I saw these guys in 2012 on a bill of all slam/brootal death bands and they actually stood out. I'll check this one out. Thanks.
Nice. You're lucky, I don't think they played a whole lot of live shows before their hiatus.

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Now fer 'da top 10........

Gutfucked
Fucked to Death
Genre: Slam Death Metal/Grindcore

A pretty unique sounding band here. They call themselves "Slamming Goregrind". Fairly accurate description, but I'll chat a little more (not that anyone cares) about their style. Brutal Death with heavy aspects of slam and grindcore, as well as some tech death. The vocalist is pretty solid, he has a good range. Gurgles, some shrieks, and his main vocals are tough to explain, sort of like a toilet flushing and the crackling of an open fire (if that's not the dumbest description you've ever read..........). Production is kind of poop, which is a bummer. But the band mixes heavy slams, solid guitar riffs, and some self absorbed oodly riffs. A lot of slam bands use samples, some of which work, others are just stupid. These guys use clips from comedies, I almost split a gut when I heard the sample they used from "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story". Really unique and fun slam.

Fucked to Death

I fucking love this album. It's intense as fuck. I think the Hellraiser 3 sample is my favorite of all time. It's placed so perfectly.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Holy shit Waking the Cadaver still exists?

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Holy shit Waking the Cadaver still exists?
Lol, I guess!

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Beyond Cops, Beyond Gods or whatever it was called was a really weird album. Like, it wasn't good, but it was such an improvement over their first album, that in comparison it WAS good. I guess I'll need to check out their latest.
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Beyond Cops, Beyond Gods or whatever it was called was a really weird album. Like, it wasn't good, but it was such an improvement over their first album, that in comparison it WAS good. I guess I'll need to check out their latest.
Great way to describe it! You're right, it wasn't good, but it was SO different. Pretty much straight up death metal with some aspects of brutal death. this album is more like their first, but SO much better. "Beatdown wigger slam" at it's finest!

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM

Deicide
In The Minds of Evil
Genre: Death Metal

Deicide has recorded some classics in their storied career, as well as a few mediocre efforts. Being that this album came out so soon after 'To Hell With God' (which was an outstanding album IMO) led me to believe the album might be hurried, hence most likely mediocre. My expectations didn't really change after hearing the title track. However, I still went out and bought the album (I like to support bands I really like, plus I like to have the liner notes, etc.). The first few listens I'm thinking to myself, "Ok, this album is pretty solid, but not outstanding." But then the album REALLY started to grow on me. I read that the band had wanted to use less melodic stuff and sound more old school. Ralph being gone probably contributed to that. I had absolutely no problem with the amount of melody in the previous three albums ("Stench" is one of all time favorite death metal records, THWG was a great album, and I didn't hate 'Till Death Do Us Part' nearly as much as many did), and the solos on Stench and THWG were fuckin' awesome. The band accomplishes the old school sound wonderfully.

This is absolutely one of Deicide's heaviest albums, if not THE heaviest. Not the most brutal or extreme, but you know what I mean. The songs are fucking heavy, thick and crunchy. You can actually hear Glen's bass in some songs, which is extremely rare. 'Thou Begone' is a perfect example of that. That song features one of the most catchy riffs of the year IMO, and Glen's bass fuckin' pounds. That's probably my favorite song from the album. Steve's drums are, well, Steve's drums. Exceptionally executed and almost perfectly layered in the music. Overall, everything is tighter than virgin cooch. Certainly one of their tightest albums, everything sounds so good meshed together. The band doesn't totally abandon the melodic riffs as track 8 'Trample The Cross', features some outstanding riffs that would give some of the better melodic riffs of "Stench" a run for their money. Last but not least, you've gotta hand it to Glen for his vocals. No, he can't hit the highs or lows that he could hit during the 'Legion' era, but I feel his vocals are still outstanding. Evil and powerful! The only reason this album isn't higher is because the middle has a few songs that are just ok. A must listen for all death metal fans.

Though Begone
Trample the Cross

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 01-08-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 AM

Trivium
Vengeance Falls
Genre: Metalcore/Thrash Metal

Their last album, 'In Waves' grew on me over the past 2 years, as I didn't care for it much when it first came out. I still think there were too many attempts at radio rock-infused metal, that some of it came out sounding like straight cheese. Wasn't too sure what to expect, but when they streamed the opening track 'Brave This Storm'. Fucking great track. Fast, catchy riffs, and a great tempo. I like the lyrical arrangement too. The title track and 'Strife' keep the start of the album excellent. The title track is fairly heavy and has a very cool chorus. The middle of the album isn't bad, just nothing that really jumps out. The last track, 'Wake (The End Is Nigh" is a balladish tune at the beginning, but becomes rather heavy. Great tune. Not sure why it wasn't included in the regular version, but the Japanese version has 3 bonus tracks. One of them is 'There is No Hope for the Human Race', and that song is just fucking sick. Unfortunately, there's no vid on YT. Overall, this album is less core and more metal than previous albums. There are still some breakdowns and chugga-chugga rythyms, but there is more straight up thrashy and heavy riffs, and Matt Heafy has again channeled his inner James Hetfield, similar to what he did on "The Crusade", except this album is better. They've certainly taken some influences from Metallica, but not in a knock off way like Avenged Sevenfold. I know Trivium is a band that doesn't get much love around, but this is an excellent heavy metal record, you guys should check it out.

Brave This Storm
Wake (The End is Nigh)

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:20 AM

Sick
Cannabilistic Torment
Genre: Slam Death Metal

Technically this album was released in December of 2012, but didn't see a widespread release till early 2013, so I'm including it. I found an article that linked this vid. The band used this as a marketing premise: "Slam in the style of Devourment's 'Molesting the Decapitated'." Uh, ok. Arguably the best slam death album in history, they're making something similar? Ok. Doubt it'd be anything near it, but I gave it a shot. Glad I did. This album is actually quite similar to MTD (not as good, obviously). Similar muddy, yet somehow awesome production, similar guitar tone and bass mix, and above all, stylistically it's very similar. Lot's of grind/slam/grind/slam. Simple, yet effective. Their vocalist is pretty talented, too. I think Ruben Rosas (the vocalist on MTD) is posesser of one the most insanely inhuman set of vocal chords ever put on Earth. Just crazy the shit he can do. That's why it was such a shame he moved to guitar after that album. But anyway, back to Sick. Their vocalist can make some insanely low guttural's, some of the best I've heard. The 5th track, 'Eviscerating the Corpulant', is my favorite. Absolutely insane track. This album really is pretty similar to Molesting the Decapitated, but has some differences to still make it unique in it's own right. A huge, pleasant suprise.

Cannabilistic Torment (full album)

08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)