Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Acranius
When Mutation Becomes Homicidal
Genre: Brutal Deathcore/Slam Death Metal

Cover art of the year, IMO. As someone already mentioned in their end of the year thread, this album is a huge breath of fresh air in the Slam Death genre. Slam has really had a huge amount of new bands show up in the past 2 years, and a lot of it flat out sucks. Shitty, mindless breakdowns w/ generic fart and burp noises a la vocals. These German guys are a unique blend of Brutal Deathcore, Slam Death, and Hardcore. Their are both slams and normal breakdowns on this record. Breakdowns are so-so, while the slams are outstanding. Decent musicianship. Very powerful guitars and bass drums. Production is decent overall, but very effective for the genre. Vocals are nothing out of this world, but they're effective. The biggest thing I take from this album is how heavy it is. Blast beats are used effectively and bass drops are well placed, not just there for the sake of being heavy. Certainly not for everyone, but any Brutal Death fan should check these guys out.

When Mutation Becomes Homicidal (Full Album)

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Suffocation
Pinnacle of Bedlam
Genre: Brutal Death Metal

Well, it's Suffocation. Not their best album, but I preferred this over Blood Oath. Very bummed I didn't get to see them on their last tour, as it's apparently Frank's last, and I've never seen them live . I was not too sure what to think, as the first song the band streamed fuckin sucked. Not sure why they choose that one, as it's easily the worst song on the album. While it's nothing new from Suffocation, in the end, it's everything that made them one of the most popular bands in death metal. Ferocious and heavy guitar licks, great drumming and the unmistakable Frank Mullen growl. If I could change anything, it'd be to make the album more slammy. There are some good slams and breakdowns here, but not as many as their older stuff.

Pinnacle of Bedlam (Full Album)

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post

Guttural Secrete
Nourishing the Spoil
Genre: Technical Brutal Death Metal

Gotten into Brutal Death Metal (and all it's annoyingly-named subgenres) big time over the past 2 years. For those that aren't familiar, these guys are a very unique blend of brutal death, tech death, slam, and grind. Not unlike Benighted, for those of you who are familiar w/ those psychotic Frenchmen. This is a catchy and brutal-ass death metal record. Plenty of techincal doodles that don't go into wank levels, crazy ass guitar riffs, heavy bass drops and killer slams and breakdowns. I hesitate to use the term breakdown, cause they're more slammy than chuggy. The vocals are a little generic, but their vocalist is certainly talented, and mixes up typical death metal grunts w/ slam gurgles. 'Stainless Conception' (lovely lyrics) and 'Serrated Impurities' are my favorite tracks. I was bummed to hear these guys broke up this year, but according to their FB page, it sounds as though they're making another album and self-releasing it this year. Great news, cause these guys have been around for 10+ years, which is a long ass time for a BDM band nowadays. I really think any death metal fan will dig this.

Nourishing the Spoil (full album)
Holy shit! I didn't even know Guttural Secrete released an album this year. "Razorized Ball Gag" by them is probably my favorite slam song of all time.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Holy shit! I didn't even know Guttural Secrete released an album this year. "Razorized Ball Gag" by them is probably my favorite slam song of all time.
I hang out at the Devourment forum, so I hear about a lot of new Brutal Death. Highly suggest you check this album out!

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 AM

Deeds of Flesh
Portals to Canaan
Genre: Death Metal/Brutal Technical Death Metal

Another band I think is very underrated. Don't hear much about them anymore. Haven't listened to more than a few songs by these guys before this, but now I'm checking out their back catalogue. This is an outstanding death metal album. It's a concept album about an alien race taking over Earth. Straight up death metal with aspects of brutal death, tech death and some progressive death metal. One of the tightest death metal records of the year, and maybe of the past few years. All instruments are perfectly in sync and layered perfectly, without being overproduced. I think the vocals are among the best, if not THE best, I've heard on any DOF album. Again, I haven't listened to their entire discography, but I'd say this is their best album from what I've listened to. My favorite aspect is the crunch of the bass and bass drum. Bass is slightly audible, and the bass drum is perfectly layered. Some technical riffs that in spots, remind me of Necrophagist. The progressive-esque riffs are unique and enjoyable without getting wank, ghey, or over-the-top. Also features the ocassional heavy ass slam. Again, a very underrated band. ANY death metal fan should check these guys out.

Amidst the Ruins
Rise of the Virum Juggernaut

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 AM
N00B

Quote:

Deeds of Flesh
Portals to Canaan
Genre: Death Metal/Brutal Technical Death Metal

Another band I think is very underrated. Don't hear much about them anymore. Haven't listened to more than a few songs by these guys before this, but now I'm checking out their back catalogue. This is an outstanding death metal album. It's a concept album about an alien race taking over Earth. Straight up death metal with aspects of brutal death, tech death and some progressive death metal. One of the tightest death metal records of the year, and maybe of the past few years. All instruments are perfectly in sync and layered perfectly, without being overproduced. I think the vocals are among the best, if not THE best, I've heard on any DOF album. Again, I haven't listened to their entire discography, but I'd say this is their best album from what I've listened to. My favorite aspect is the crunch of the bass and bass drum. Bass is slightly audible, and the bass drum is perfectly layered. Some technical riffs that in spots, remind me of Necrophagist. The progressive-esque riffs are unique and enjoyable without getting wank, ghey, or over-the-top. Also features the ocassional heavy ass slam. Again, a very underrated band. ANY death metal fan should check these guys out.

Amidst the Ruins
Rise of the Virum Juggernaut
It's funny, I know a lot of people that loved this album, but I feel like this album was pretty weak compared to other albums that came out this year (Defeated Sanity, Guttural Secrete), plus I feel like Wormed does the whole alien-science thing better. If you're checking out their back catalog, make sure to listen to Trading Pieces. That's my favorite album by them.
9/15 - Artificial Brain
9/17 - Deafheaven?
9/19 (Birthday Celebration) - Elder
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehBr00tulz View Post
I feel like Wormed does the whole alien-science thing better. .
Never gave my opinion on the concept, simply stated it..........

I don't judge a band or music on their/it's lyrical subject matter, or else I wouldn't listen to most death metal, expecially slam. It's sometimes fun/interesting to read intelligent, inspirational or interesting lyrics, but most of the time I don't pay much attention.

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 01-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Craniotomy
Supply of Flesh Came Just in Time
Genre: Slam Death Metal

Had never heard of this band, let alone checked them out, until this year. Loved the album, so I checked out some of their previous work. These guys are a criminially underrated slam band. They don't play live much, so I'm assuming that plays a role, but in any circumstance, I'm not sure why this band is so rarely mentioned in slam chat. They're an especially heavy and sludgy mix of Slam Death and Grindcore. Their albums are produced very well, have good sound quality. I agree Slam can benefit from slightly shitty sound quality on occasion, but when it's produced well, I always seem to enjoy it more. Very heavy and sludgy guitars, sound is extremely "thick". Powerful and quality drumming and unique vocals. A throaty, slightly froggy gurgle. The riffs on this album are some of the thickest and heaviest of the year, IMO. The opener, 'Mr Butcher' is my favorite tune from the album.

Supply of Flesh Came Just in Time

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

That Craniotomy is sick, good find man! I wish I enjoyed more slam/death metal, because the album art in those genres can be so fucking cool Cool list so far dude!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM
N00B

Quote:
Never gave my opinion on the concept, simply stated it..........

I don't judge a band or music on their/it's lyrical subject matter, or else I wouldn't listen to most death metal, expecially slam. It's sometimes fun/interesting to read intelligent, inspirational or interesting lyrics, but most of the time I don't pay much attention.
Very true, and I guess I misinterpreted that part of you said, and I apologize. I just like Wormed's lyrics and concept because it's different from most Brutal Death Metal nowadays. As for the music itself, like you said, I don't judge based on their lyrics, otherwise I would never have discovered the wonders of slams. I'm a person who prefers whether the vocals go with the music, don't really care for lyrics.

Also, holy shit, how have I never heard Craniotomy before?
9/15 - Artificial Brain
9/17 - Deafheaven?
9/19 (Birthday Celebration) - Elder