Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Really didn't like What You Don't See when it came out, especially because I picked up the new Man Overboard and TWY albums too and I liked those a lot more, but at the end of the year I actually am loving this album hard.
This right here!

Also I need to find time to listen to 100 albums a year haha good read thus far yo
Tough Mudder-10/26
Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

39.Warbringer-IV: Empires Collapse

IV: Empires Collapse sort of limps of the gate with Warbringer trying some mid-paced songs to start the album off, which is not their forte at all. The album picks up when they decide to speed things on "Hunter-Seeker" and the breakneck pace doesn't let up for the rest of the album. It's definitely reminiscent of their older stuff so it won't win them any new fans, but you do get some cool unexpected stuff like party-thrash jam "Iron City" and the spastic, hardcore-inspired "Off With Their Heads!". When Warbringer sticks to their guns and just shreds your face off, they are one of the finest new acts thrash acts around.

Standout Tracks
1.Black Sun, Black Moon
2.Hunter-Seeker
3.Iron City

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

38.Rivers of Nihil-The Conscious Seed of Light

Out of all the extreme metal debuts to emerge this year, I can't think of one that was as hyped as The Conscious Seed of Light from Pennsylvania brutal/technical death metal outfit Rivers of Nihil. I was certainly intrigued right out of the gate since I am a pretty big fan of brutal and technical death metal, they are signed to my favorite record label (Metal Blade) and they got the legendary Dan Seagrave to do the album art. Well I didn't like this as much as a a majority of people, I can absolutely see why this album is so acclaimed. These guys packs a ton of punchy slam riffs into every song that would make forefathers like Suffocation and Dying Fetus proud. Also in the style of the aforementioned bands, they display bursts of dizzying technical prowess to break up the brutality. Really the only thing preventing this album from being really special to me is the vocals. The vocals are far from terrible, but they fail to match the power of the music and would be better suited for a less heavy band. Rivers of Nihil is definitely a band to watch in the years to come and this is a must-listen for any brutal/technical death metal fan.

Standout Tracks
1.Mechanical Trees
2.Soil & Seed
3.Place of Serpents

Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

37.Pusha T-My Name Is My Name

The long-awaited solo full-length debut from ex-Clipse member Pusha T was absolutely worth wait. My Name Is My Name is one of the most varied hip-hop releases to come out this with everything from brag raps ("King Push") to tender love songs ("Let Me Love You") to a cautionary tales about the selling drugs ("40 Acres".) Pusha T approaches each track/subject with the same level of thoughtfulness and lyrical excellence, no matter how light or dark the tone of the track is. The production here kind of takes a backseat to the rapping, but there are a couple of beats that are downright amazing ("Suicide", "Pain", "S.N.I.T.C.H") and are amongst the coolest beats I've heard this year to make the production at least somewhat noteworthy. All hail King Push.

Standout Tracks
1.Suicide
2.S.N.I.T.C.H
3.Hold On

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

36.Defeater-Letters Home

Few musical acts are able to capture emotion the way Defeater does. In my eyes, Letters Home packs the biggest emotional punch of their career to-date. Each and every track is stuffed to the gills with passionate lyrics and moody riffing to accentuate the emotion of the vocals. The power of the genuine emotion that Defeater gives off on every second of Letters Home is more than enough to place this amongst the best records of 2013.

Standout Tracks
1.Blood in my Veins
2.No Saviour
3.Hopeless Again

Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Harper Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
36.Defeater-Letters Home

Few musical acts are able to capture emotion the way Defeater does. In my eyes, Letters Home packs the biggest emotional punch of their career to-date. Each and every track is stuffed to the gills with passionate lyrics and moody riffing to accentuate the emotion of the vocals. The power of the genuine emotion that Defeater gives off on every second of Letters Home is more than enough to place this amongst the best records of 2013.

Standout Tracks
1.Blood in my Veins
2.No Saviour
3.Hopeless Again
Their singer works in a record store (Bull Moose) that I frequent. He's a cool fellow. I'm happy that their getting the recognition they deserve.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredg822 View Post
Their singer works in a record store (Bull Moose) that I frequent. He's a cool fellow. I'm happy that their getting the recognition they deserve.
That's fucking awesome. I had known about Defeater for years, but I hadn't really checked them out till early last year. One of the better melodic hardcore bands around and it's always cool to see a band from around here make such an impact on the scene.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

35.Death Grips-Government Plates

Death Grips is no longer a hip-hop act. Government Plates sees them confirming their new identity as a group that makes EDM for people who hate EDM. The evolution of Death Grips is kind of disappointing to me because I loved MC Ride's wild screaming/rapping and that is mostly replaced on this record with skip-heavy electronic vocals. What makes Death Grips transfer to EDM not that drastic and still thoroughly enjoyable is the work of Zach Hill and Flatlander. Flatlander lays down a plethora of godlike synth line ("Big House" and "You Might Think He Loves You For Your Money but I Know What He Really Loves You For It's Your Brand New Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" in particular are perfection) on this record and Zach Hill gives arguably his most insane drum performance in Death Grips's discography. Government Plates is the Death Grips's at their strangest and most electronic.

Standout Tracks
1. You Might Think He Loves You For Your Money but I Know What He Really Loves You For It's Your Brand New Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat
2.Big House
3.This is Violence Now (Don't Get Me Wrong)

Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

34.Devildriver-Winter Kills

Devildriver comes back from the disappointment of Beast with their strongest material since at least The Last Kind Words and maybe The Fury of Our Maker's Hand. Dez Fafara still sound great vocally at age 47 and while the band is primarily a groove metal act, they experiment more with melody and straight-up death metal on this record. The more melodic stuff like "Carings Overkill", "The Appetite", and "Curses and Epitaphs" are catchy as hell and feature some of the most ripping guitar solos of the band's career, while tracks like "Gutted" and "Tripping Over Tombstones" are heavy as shit. Devildriver is not the band to listen to for innovation, but they are damn good at what they do and the bursts of melody on Winter Kills are a welcome addition to their groove-based repertoire.

Standout Tracks
1.Curses and Epitaphs
2.The Appetite
3.Carings Overkill

Old 01-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

33.Rob Zombie-Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor

Speaking of bounceback albums, no one recovered from their weak last album in 2013 better than Rob Zombie. Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor is a return to form of sorts for Zombie after his underwhelming last release Hellbilly Deluxe 2. The only thing underwhelming about Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor is its incredibly stupid title This record sees Zombie going back to what he does best: make fun, horror-inspired industrial metal. Zombie jam packs the entire record with lively hooks and a contagious sinister spirit. It's evident that he hasn't had this much fun making music in a long time and he just lets loose on this record. "Lucifer Rising", "Teenage Nosferatu Pussy" (one of my favorite song titles recent memory) and "Behold, the Pretty Filthy Creatures! in particular are just a pure unadulterated good time. For the duration of this record, you can't help getting fully immersed into Zombie's world of all things horror-related, he just makes it sound so damn appealing. In addition to the fun Zombie is having with the music, I really liked the old-school vibe this record has. There's a lot of 80's- inspired keyboard parts and some nice, traditional heavy metal solos from Zombie's long time axeman John 5 (who shreds as always) scattered throughout the record giving it an undeniable vintage flair. Hell there's even a surprisingly awesome cover of "We're An American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad on this record! Rob Zombie has always had a prominent classic rock/horror punk influence, but its never been more in the forefront of his music than on Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor. Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor marks the return of vintage Rob Zombie and as a longtime fan, I'm glad he's back after a brief descent into shit.

Standout Tracks
1.Lucifer Rising
2.Behold, the Pretty Filthy Creatures!
3.Revelation Revolution