Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM
N00B

Already own those Purson, Witherscape, Protest the Hero, This Town Needs Guns, and The World is Beautiful Place albums
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
Already own those Purson, Witherscape, Protest the Hero, This Town Needs Guns, and The World is Beautiful Place albums
Good shit!
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Buahahahahaha

Live Performances

Here's my top 5 shows of the year

5. Boris w /Deafheaven @ Rickshaw Stop, May 22nd, 2013

This was the perfect show for me to go to after my first year San Jose State University. My first year of college was a great experience, but after the stresses of finals, I need an outlet to detox and relieve some stress, and this show was perfect for that. I caught Boris on their Flood night of the tourís stop in San Francisco, which had Deafheaven opening. It was the perfect setting for my first time seeing Deafheaven. The club was small and intimate and their performance was raw. It gave me a sample of what was to come on Sunbather too, which was great. But more importantly, Boris played. Boris was incredible and definitely the loudest band Iíve seen ever. Their set-list was great: Huge was just that, their cover of My Bloody Valentineís ďSometimesĒ was the loudest thing ever, and seeing Flood live was one of the most cathartic experiences of my life. Just absolutely amazing.
Original Review

4. Graves at Sea/Aldebaran/Dipsirit/Larvae @ DNA Lounge, March 31st, 2013

This concert was such a sweet surprise. I originally went just for Dispirit, but I was introduced to some incredible bands at this show. Opening band, Larvae started the night off right with some solid black/doom metal. Dispirit performed a great set, playing two wicked new songs that I canít wait to hear professionally recorded (hintfuckinghint). The only weird thing about their set was the amount of light present while they were playing. But the show really took me surprise went Aldebaran came on. As I explained in my original review of this gig, everything about Aldebaranís performance was perfect. Their sound was incredibly heavy and punishing, and the atmosphere was just perfect. Their strain of funeral doom metal really resonates with me and Iím really glad I was able to discover Aldebaran is such an incredible atmosphere. Graves At Sea was another great surprise too, as they performed a great, loud set full of think sludge/doom that got the crowd just the right amount of rowdy. Overall, this show was great experience because the atmosphere and the great discoveries I made.
Original Review

3. Deafheaven @ San Jose Rock Shop September 27th, 2013

This was hands-down my favorite performance of the year. If you havenít picked up by now, Sunbather is one of my favorite records of the year. So seeing Deafheaven perform the whole record live in a more laid back environment then when I caught them at the Bottom of the Hill in July was an absolute treat. On top of that, the intimacy of the show was incredible, and frontman George Clarke got up close and personal with yours truly. Plus the scream along at the end of The Pecan Tree was one of the most intimate things Iíve ever experienced at a show, so that was really special for me. Deafheaven never disappoint, and I canít wait to see them again. And again. And again. (btw the curly haired dude you seen in front of the dude with glasses is me)
Original Review

2. Enslaved/Pallbearer/Royal Thunder @ Slims February 9th, 2013

Best tour line-up of the year goes to Enslavedís US tour in support of their 2012 master piece, RITTIR. Sure, Ancient VVisdom sucked complete ass, but the rest of the line-up was incredibly badass. Royal Thunder got the night started right with their badass blend of sludge and eerie, southern blues. They give their songs new life in the live setting itís just awesome. Pallbearer put on the 2nd best performance Iíve seen this year. Sorrow and Extinction may very well be the best doom metal album in recent history, so seeing them play my favorite songs off it and a tasty new jam was a privilege. Their live sound was absolutely incredible too, some of the thickest, tastiest tones ever. Only shame was I couldnít hear the vocals much. And then after the mesmerizing set Pallbearer put on, I got almost 2 hours of amazing progressive black metal from Enslaved! Iím really only super familiar with their more recent works, but the setlist had material from all eras and it all sounded incredible. Theyíre also one of the tightest live bands Iíve ever seen, and each had incredibly fun stage presence, which is awesome considering the complexity of their music. Enslaved was probably the most straight up fun Iíve had at a metal show in quite some time.
Original Review

1. Stella Natura Festival @ Tahoe National Forest September 20th, 2013

Dude, what can I say. I got to see some of my favorite contemporary bands in the fucking forest. It was truly an experience like no other, just read my original review.
Original Review

10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Here's my top 5 shows of the year

5. Boris w /Deafheaven @ Rickshaw Stop, May 22nd, 2013

This was the perfect show for me to go to after my first year San Jose State University. My first year of college was a great experience, but after the stresses of finals, I need an outlet to detox and relieve some stress, and this show was perfect for that. I caught Boris on their Flood night of the tourís stop in San Francisco, which had Deafheaven opening. It was the perfect setting for my first time seeing Deafheaven. The club was small and intimate and their performance was raw. It gave me a sample of what was to come on Sunbather too, which was great. But more importantly, Boris played. Boris was incredible and definitely the loudest band Iíve seen ever. Their set-list was great: Huge was just that, their cover of My Bloody Valentineís ďSometimesĒ was the loudest thing ever, and seeing Flood live was one of the most cathartic experiences of my life. Just absolutely amazing.
Original Review

4. Graves at Sea/Aldebaran/Dipsirit/Larvae @ DNA Lounge, March 31st, 2013

This concert was such a sweet surprise. I originally went just for Dispirit, but I was introduced to some incredible bands at this show. Opening band, Larvae started the night off right with some solid black/doom metal. Dispirit performed a great set, playing two wicked new songs that I canít wait to hear professionally recorded (hintfuckinghint). The only weird thing about their set was the amount of light present while they were playing. But the show really took me surprise went Aldebaran came on. As I explained in my original review of this gig, everything about Aldebaranís performance was perfect. Their sound was incredibly heavy and punishing, and the atmosphere was just perfect. Their strain of funeral doom metal really resonates with me and Iím really glad I was able to discover Aldebaran is such an incredible atmosphere. Graves At Sea was another great surprise too, as they performed a great, loud set full of think sludge/doom that got the crowd just the right amount of rowdy. Overall, this show was great experience because the atmosphere and the great discoveries I made.
Original Review

3. Deafheaven @ San Jose Rock Shop September 27th, 2013

This was hands-down my favorite performance of the year. If you havenít picked up by now, Sunbather is one of my favorite records of the year. So seeing Deafheaven perform the whole record live in a more laid back environment then when I caught them at the Bottom of the Hill in July was an absolute treat. On top of that, the intimacy of the show was incredible, and frontman George Clarke got up close and personal with yours truly. Plus the scream along at the end of The Pecan Tree was one of the most intimate things Iíve ever experienced at a show, so that was really special for me. Deafheaven never disappoint, and I canít wait to see them again. And again. And again. (btw the curly haired dude you seen in front of the dude with glasses is me)
Original Review

2. Enslaved/Pallbearer/Royal Thunder @ Slims February 9th, 2013

Best tour line-up of the year goes to Enslavedís US tour in support of their 2012 master piece, RITTIR. Sure, Ancient VVisdom sucked complete ass, but the rest of the line-up was incredibly badass. Royal Thunder got the night started right with their badass blend of sludge and eerie, southern blues. They give their songs new life in the live setting itís just awesome. Pallbearer put on the 2nd best performance Iíve seen this year. Sorrow and Extinction may very well be the best doom metal album in recent history, so seeing them play my favorite songs off it and a tasty new jam was a privilege. Their live sound was absolutely incredible too, some of the thickest, tastiest tones ever. Only shame was I couldnít hear the vocals much. And then after the mesmerizing set Pallbearer put on, I got almost 2 hours of amazing progressive black metal from Enslaved! Iím really only super familiar with their more recent works, but the setlist had material from all eras and it all sounded incredible. Theyíre also one of the tightest live bands Iíve ever seen, and each had incredibly fun stage presence, which is awesome considering the complexity of their music. Enslaved was probably the most straight up fun Iíve had at a metal show in quite some time.
Original Review

1. Stella Natura Festival @ Tahoe National Forest September 20th, 2013

Dude, what can I say. I got to see some of my favorite contemporary bands in the fucking forest. It was truly an experience like no other, just read my original review.
Original Review

Hard not to crack up at picture #3
Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Buahahahahaha

You don't like Deafheaven. We get it.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
You don't like Deafheaven. We get it.

Nice write ups! Totally regret missing Boris and deafheaven this year (as well as primitive man and hell.. You saw hell at stellanatura, right?) I actually started listening to Boris afterward but anyway that mbv cover is sick, and by far my favorite mbv song. (Is that weird? Or does that one sound different than their others.. I can't tell.) only listened to 10 min of flood so far, but already prefer it to -feedbacker- (granted I've only heard the live version with merzbow...)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

That Stella Natura Festival…

Unreal.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post

Nice write ups! Totally regret missing Boris and deafheaven this year (as well as primitive man and hell.. You saw hell at stellanatura, right?) I actually started listening to Boris afterward but anyway that mbv cover is sick, and by far my favorite mbv song. (Is that weird? Or does that one sound different than their others.. I can't tell.) only listened to 10 min of flood so far, but already prefer it to -feedbacker- (granted I've only heard the live version with merzbow...)
Thanks. I actually missed Hell because I was pretty hungry and still had quite a few hours of music ahead of me, so I used their set time to eat. And I agree Sometimes is definitely my favorite MBV song. And Flood is Boris' best work in my opinion. Funny thing is I hadn't listened to it in full til the night before the show, but I was listening to it as I was packing up my dorm after my first year at SJSU and it really resonated with me and was the perfect music to listen to as I concluded what was one of my best experiences of my life (college), so I felt I already knew the piece very well when they played it live. It was so massiv and moving.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Buahahahahaha

All right, Top 10 albums! Woooooooooooooo!

10. Fen Ė Dustwalker

Fen are a atmospheric post-black metal band out of London. They get the name Fen, from a marshy flatland area of England called The Fens, where they grew up. They embody the atmosphere of The Fens in their music. I first got into them when I heard their sophomore LP in 2011, Epoch. I originally gravitated toward Fen over other groups that play this style of music because they seamlessly combine elements black metal, post-rock, folk, and at time progressive rock, so perfectly and have such a definitive sound. They progress on all of these sounds on their latest record, Dustwalker. This time around, it seems they put an emphasis on the more serene sounds of post-rock. Many tracks on the album features long clean passages full of acoustic and clean electric guitars and clean vocals. The track Spectre is actually entirely post-rock sounding, with no black metal sounds at all. Other tracks show Fen taking a more melodic approach to black metal, like the track, Wolf Sun. The musicianship on the record is as good as ever, with plenty of great guitar work ranging from black metal riffs to plucked folk chords, interesting bass lines, and fantastic drumming that perfectly fits every mood and color presented on the record. Dustwalker also has a fair amount of electronic use, from keyboards to a lot of e-bow melodies, which give the feelings that youíre at the top of a hill, surveying a great land mass while breathing in crisp air. Yet again, Fen prove to be one of the best bands to truly meld black metal with post-rock and give a definite sound to the label ďpost-black metalĒ. If you dig atmospheric black metal, you need to listen to this record.

Hands Of Dust
The Black Sound

9. Gorguts Ė Colored Sands

Gorguts are one of many classic death metal bands that I never really got into when I was first exploring extreme metal. I remember downloading a few of their records to familiarize myself with some of their material because I was going to see them open on the Death To All tour in 2012. While I thought their earlier work was decent death metal, I never really got into their acclaimed record, Obscura. But after seeing them live, I was really impressed with their sound, but still didnít really revisit their material. So when I heard they had a new album coming out in 2013, I was definitely interested. And when I heard the album, I was blown away.

If you donít already know, Gorguts are a Canadian avant-garde/technical death band that was founded by Luc Lemay in 1989. While their original material was standard death metal, their later releases saw them experimenting with odd time signatures, a lot of dissonance, and unconventional song structures. The current line-up of Gorguts is Luc Lemay with Kevin and Colin of Dysrtyhmia and John from Origin. The new line-up breathes some new life in the band, but Lucís wicked song writing is still whatís most prominent in their sound. Their new album, Colored Sands, sees Gorguts taking off from where they last were, with a monster of an album. Each song is built from dense riffs in odd time signatures and are really dissonant and thick. The musician ship on the record is highly impressive, featuring some of the best guitar and bass work Iíve heard all year. And the tone these guys get is just massive. The bass lays down such a thick foundation and the guitar sounds are wicked. Most of the tunes range from 6-8 and each song packs a punch. Even the song The Battle of Chamdo, which is a piece written for a violin quartet, is extremely eerie, and shows that Luc Lemay can do more than just metal. Overall, Colored Sands shows that Gorguts still has it after a long break, supplying some crushingly heavy avant-garde thatís riddled with dissonance and crushing riffs. If death metal is your thing, Iíd be surprised if you havenít heard this already.

An Ocean Of Widsom
Enemies Of Compassion

8. Usnea Ė Usnea

Pure evil. Thatís what comes to mind when I listen to Usneaís debut record. Usnea are a doom metal from Portland 4-piece that combine the hellish sounds of funeral doom metal, sludge metal, and black metal to craft some of the most wicked sounding metal to come out all year. The band themselves describe their sound by stating, ďOppressive tone and volume combine with lyrics searching for meaning in a world full of oppression, human hierarchy and bleakness and fueled by the anger and despondency that are its by-product... perhaps in the liberation of negativity we are truly freed.Ē Across the two tracks on the record, Usnea uses both high black metal shrieks an low death metal grunts and write trudging doom metal riffs that give the listener goosebumps and let them sit and brew to build a hellish atmosphere before bursting into fierce black metal passages that tear you apart. Even though the record is only a little over 30 minutes along across its two tracks, Usnea does a fantastic job of delivering some of the heaviest, and most evil sounding metal Iíve heard all year. This album would probably rank higher if the two extra tracks that come with the digital download of the record were technically a part of the album, as those tracks are just as competent as the two album tracks. But even so, the fact that Unsea leaves such a huge impact in only half an hour with their brutal riffs is a feat. If youíre looking for unrelenting, heavy as hell funeral doom metal, this is your album.

Chaoskampf
Brazen Bull Of Phalaris

7. Nails Ė Abandon All Life

The best was to describes Nailsí sound is ďhatred ad infinitumĒ; endless hatred. Nails are a 4-piece powerviolence out of southern California and they put the power and violence in powerviolence. If youíre not familiar with that genre tag, it sounds just like that name. If you want a legit description, itís a combination of hardcore punk and grindcore with elements of sludge metal thrown in to create some of the heaviest and most brutal music the world has to offer. In my opinion, Nails have perfected the art on their sophomore LP, Abandon All Life. Across 10 tracks in just 17 minutes, Nails deliver some of the most brutal and hate-filled music Iíve had the pleasure of subjecting myself to. Their tone on the record is absolutely brutal. Nails use the HM-2 Heavy Metal pedals thatís popular amongst Swedish death metal acts to create brutal buzzsaw tones, and guitarist/vocalist Todd Jones has one of the meanest screams out there. Songs on the record range from shorts blast of shear grinding rage like the tracks Cry Wolf and Absolute Control, slightly longer tunes that throw in some heavy, slamming riffs like Godís Cold Hands and Abandon All Life, to longer tunes that features heavy hitting sludge riffs that crush your bones to dust like Wide Open Wound and the albumís devastating closing track, Suum Cuique. The pure rage and hatred that give this album such a definite sound is just way too massive to ignore. If youíre into fast, brutal music, not having heard this record yet should be a crime. So do it.

It's only 17 minutes long, listen to the whole thing.

6. Lycus Ė Tempest

Bay Area funeral doomsters, Lycus, hit the nail on the head with their debut album, Tempest. Lycus combines sounds of both funeral and traditional doom metal with sludge and black metal to create really haunting and sorrowful music with an aggressive edge. The most unique thing that Lycus does is have three different types of vocals on the record, often times with two going on at a time. The band uses Gregorian chant like cleans, guttural lows, and haunting shrieks to deliver lyrics full of sorrow and despair. The chanting vocals often feel like drones in the background that only build eerie atmospheres to accompany devastating riffs Across the three tracks on the record, the band displays weeping doom riffs that develop into hellish death metal and black metal passages, before returning to sorrowful doom passages. The songs almost resemble being caught in a tempest storm, with calm beginnings the turn into ravishing waves that eventually calm down and take the ship down it. They way the band develops eerie atmospheres is remarkable; especially on the title track that features violin accompaniment that weeps over the guitarís sinister melodies. The record is the finest funeral doom metal album of the year, combining mournful doom melodies with heavy sludge riffs and punishing black metal passages. If you like doom metal, listen to this.

Coma Burn
Engravings

10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM
One who onions things

Anyone else find it cool that slap posted a gig review with Lycus playing some hole in Oakland like way back, the album comes out and the Internet fricken loves them? Good call there buddy.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31