Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-31-2013, 04:49 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Megadeth
Supercollider

What the hell is this piece of shit? Their last album sucked (which I actually didn't mind when it first came out. I've since really started to dislike the album), and while you're never really sure what to expect from Dave, I didn't expect this. No need to go into great detail, as the true shittiness of this album has already been discussed here many times. All that needs to be said is this album is simply awful. A poor and laughable attempt by the band to make a commercially successful (who knows, it probably sold well) radio rock album. Really funny to read the Megadeth sheep on FB ranting about how good this album is. I'm like "Dude, what?"

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 04:59 AM

Korn
The Paradigm Shift

Korn hasn't made a great album since 2002's Untouchables (wasn;t great, but you know what I mean), now that Head is back, this new one has got to be their best since, right? Wrong. I was excited to see Head back in the band, and after watching some videos of their lives shows with him, it seemed the band was excited themselves. Naturally, I expected this album to be good. I didn't expect another self-titled, but I was thinking they could at least match Issues or Untouchables. They didn't, not even close.

I watched the video for Never Never, and almost couldn't believe how bad it was. Hated the song. I checked out the whole album once it was released, and actually had some faith while/after listening to the opener, Prey For Me. That's actually a pretty solid tune, certainly worth listening to a few times. Nothing after that comes even close. There are a couple decent tracks that are listenable, but nothing that has made want to listen to the album anymore. Some flat out BAD tracks. Really thought the band would put something together after the string of so-so albums and their dubstep "experiement." Gone is the power and crunch, gone is their signature groove, the only unique aspect that remains is Fieldy's bass, which put behind lame-o guitar riffs along w/ simple drum beats an 8-year-old could master, isn't the same. The little bit of faith I had remaining in Korn is gone. At least from what I've seen online, they're still solid live.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Top 5 Biggest Pleasant Suprises

Won't go into detail as these all made my Top 25, they'll get small reviews there. But these are 5 albums that I was pleasantly suprised with how much I liked, either because I'm not a huge fan of the band, poor recent albums, etc.

Ministry
From Beer to Eternity

I always listen to Ministry when a new album comes out, because I like their older stuff (Filth Pig and earlier, back to early 90's, not their 80's stuff), but never like it. Liked this album, some good tunes.

Winds of Plague
Resistance

Their last album sucked, was just bad. Didn't expect to like this, but I did. Not outstanding or groundbreaking, but an enjoyable, fun listen.

Warbringer
IV: Empires Collapse

Have never been a huge fan of Warbinger's albums, rather more of a fan of their live show. This album fucking shreds. Some absolute riff-o-rama, and I actually enjoy the vocals, which in thrash metal, are an aspect I often times dislike.

Acranius
When Mutation Becomes Homicidal

This album has already been lauded by a few here and rightfully so. I never expect anything different when I listen to Slam Death, but this was a breath of fresh air. Very unique and absolutely pounding blend of Brutal Deathcore, Slam Death, and Beatdown Hardcore.

Waking the Cadaver
Real Life Death

It's been 7 years since 'Chased Through the Woods by a Rapist' came out. Band is A LOT better. Never thought anything these guys did was outstanding, but it was fun, brutal, heavy ass brutal deathcore. This album fucking slams. Heavy, heavy, heavy. Lot's of great tunes.

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 05:49 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I didn't think the new Ghost was as horrible as you do, but it was definitely a major drop in quality from the first one. "Year Zero" is still a pretty sweet song though.

I'm apparently the opposite of you with Jungle Rot. I don't think they're very good live, but they usually make a pretty good album (which the exception of this one this one which was horrid), but their last album, Kill on Command was pretty good and What Horror Awaits was fucking great.

Thankfully I've avoided the new Megadeth and KorRn albums thus far.

Keep up the list, man. I look forward to reading the rest.
11/14 Decapitated
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
12/6 Helstar
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Winds of Plague
Resistance

Their last album sucked, was just bad. Didn't expect to like this, but I did. Not outstanding or groundbreaking, but an enjoyable, fun listen.
Huh, guess I'll have to actually check that out. Some songs on the previous album were aight, but yeah it did suck.
11/14 Decapitated
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
12/6 Helstar
Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I didn't think the new Ghost was as horrible as you do, but it was definitely a major drop in quality from the first one. "Year Zero" is still a pretty sweet song though.

I'm apparently the opposite of you with Jungle Rot. I don't think they're very good live, but they usually make a pretty good album (which the exception of this one this one which was horrid), but their last album, Kill on Command was pretty good and What Horror Awaits was fucking great.

Thankfully I've avoided the new Megadeth and KorRn albums thus far.

Keep up the list, man. I look forward to reading the rest.
Eh, didn't think Ghost was horrible, or even bad, just nothing on it that makes me want to listen again.

Yeah, for whatever reason, JR just seems kinda bland on record to me, but they were great the one time I saw them live. Haha, maybe it was an "on" night for 'em.

Good decision on your part avoiding Megadeth and Korn.

Quote:
Huh, guess I'll have to actually check that out. Some songs on the previous album were aight, but yeah it did suck.
Exactly what I thought, as well.

11/25-Slayer (?)

Last edited by hellawaits77ny; 12-31-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 AM

Top 25 Albums of 2013

Here goes...............

Immolation
Kingdom of Conspiracy
Genre: Death Metal

A solid old school death metal record, with an ever-so-slight hint of Swedish death metalish sound here and there. Nothing truly outstanding, but it's a very enjoyable listen. The first few tracks are great, especially the title track. Album can get a little stale, but very listenable, and the first 3 tracks are great. Title track is my favorite tune.

Kingdom of Conspiracy

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:10 AM

Gorgeous cover, huh? Haha

Ministry
From Beer to Eternity
Genre: Industrial Metal/Industrial Rock

Like I said with my quick review earlier, haven't dug a Ministry record in a while. Dug the first half of this album, 2nd is kind of blah. Mix of straight up metal, industrial, hard rock, and small amounts of techno. Some of the first few songs have some absolutely awesome riffs. PermaWar is a fucking great song. I think Al's voice has gone down hill a bit, but considering he age, he's still doing what he needs to do. A fun listen, nothing pretentious or self-righteous here. Just an old coke-head and some hired guns playing some solid industrial metal. A very suprising and enjoyable listen.

PermaWar

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 AM

Harm's Way
Blinded
Genre: Hardcore

This is the first Harm's Way record I've actually sat down and listened to. Was suprised. I always thought they were more of a straight up hardcore band, but this is pretty unique. It's a very angry and negative sounding album, which is I usually like. They lace their angry ass hardcore with metal and even some hints of industrial and atmospheric and noise overtones. I usually don't care for those, but it works here. I feel like this band has a generally negative opinion of the human race. As do I, which makes me like this record a little more. Bad ass vocals and heavily distorted guitars exacerbate this tone. Metal fans of many genres would probably enjoy this.

Blinded (full album)

11/25-Slayer (?)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Yeah its a good album but I still really love the last one.