Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
1. Ufomammut - ORO (Opus Primum / Opus Alter)
CHEAT!

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I thought Pallbearer was considered traditional doom if anything. Not trying to nitpick subgenres or anything, but I've never heard funeral doom and Pallbearer thrown around together before.
But...the band's name is...Pallbearer. As in someone who helps to carry a casket at a...funeral...?

JK, I guess I just made the obvious connection.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
CHEAT!
I knew somebody would call me out on that, but I justify it by making the observation that the band themselves actually intended the two albums to be played as one. Hell, there are even common melodies and elements shared between the two. I view it (as I believe they intended) as one magnificent, well...magnum opus.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

I think we're in more disagreement on 2012 than any other year I've been posting here.

Only two albums were in both our top 10s. Quite a different story than 2011 if I remember right.

I'm really glad to see pg.lost here though. I didn't see that one on many lists last year, but damn what a fine album. Godspeed beat it out on my list by a narrow margin. #5 and #4, respectively. Last year was a much better year for post-rock than this one was. There wasn't a single post-rock album this year as good as Godspeed's, pg.lost's, or Summer Fades Away's last year. Unless I just missed something pretty substantial.

Kudos for finishing this.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM

P.S. I never heard back from Aaron about that shark tooth. I just now finally bought The Ichthyologist. Time to start pestering him on FB.

I will have that tooth.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post

I think we're in more disagreement on 2012 than any other year I've been posting here.

Only two albums were in both our top 10s. Quite a different story than 2011 if I remember right.

I'm really glad to see pg.lost here though. I didn't see that one on many lists last year, but damn what a fine album. Godspeed beat it out on my list by a narrow margin. #5 and #4, respectively. Last year was a much better year for post-rock than this one was. There wasn't a single post-rock album this year as good as Godspeed's, pg.lost's, or Summer Fades Away's last year. Unless I just missed something pretty substantial.

Kudos for finishing this.
What did I have on my list that you didn't like? What was on your list that I didn't have on mine? I may have missed a few good things in the past year or so - life has been very busy for me for a while.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
What did I have on my list that you didn't like?
Royal Thunder and Pig Destroyer namely, but it's more where you ranked albums. I had Constantinople on my list, but nowhere near top 5. I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as that Black Math Horseman album (if that's a fair comparison). Royal Thunder, Ides of Gemini, Neurosis all better than Baroness, pg. lost and Godspeed?

I was actually expecting Sorrow and Extinction to be your #1.

Quote:
What was on your list that I didn't have on mine?
Hmm, well looking back let's just see…

Ahab - The Giant
(I know you included this in your 'Five Albums That Were Good, But Just Aren't Your Thing' list, which is surprising considering your fondness of doom and post-rock, and the fact that The Giant is basically a meshing of the two)

Borgne - Royaume des Ombres

OM - Advaitic Songs

Summer Fades Away - We Meet the Last Time, Then Departure
(I don't know if you ever checked out this band, but they are GREAT) By the way, did you hear that China lifted their one-child policy?

Sentimen Beltza - Zulo Beltz eta Sakon Honetan

Also, I didn't stumble on it until this year, but Kinit Her's Storm of Radiance is really cool avant-garde folky music you might like (or not, I'm not sure). I think Larvtard would like it, given some of the stuff he posted in his 2013 thread.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:59 PM

^ All points well taken, and thanks for offering your thoughts. I asked not because I wanted to debate the merits of this album or that album, but mostly in order to find out about what I may have missed. I have to check out some of the ones you mentioned, such as Borgne, Summer Fades Away and Sentimen Beltza (never heard of those). On the other hand, I've listened to OM before, but never really found them to be my cup of tea (even considering the fact that their roots are from bands which are definitely in my wheelhouse). However, given my further leanings toward doom in general as of late, it might be a good idea for me to revisit them.

As far as your guess on what my #1 would be, let's just say that there's not a whole lot of difference in quality between #1 and #5 as far as I am concerned - the ultimate ranking of those five really came down to the amount of time each album spent in my playing queue. I played the living shit out of all of them (and still do, actually), and I just ranked them accordingly. I simply could not stop listening to Royal Thunder or Ides of Gemini all year - it's as plain as that.

Yeah, comparing Ides to BMH might not be the fairest comparison, although obviously it's Sera Timms at the forefront in both cases, but the music is just so different between the two. I loved them both, for different reasons. I find BMH to have somewhat of a Tool vibe to it, whereas Ides is obviously pure doom. Also, BMH is a bit more produced, whereas Ides is definitely a more minimalist sort of sound. They are both fantastic bands and albums, in their own right.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing - regarding Neurosis. Although I love post-metal to bits - and "should" thus by definition be an automatic Neurosis fan - I've never really been stirred to emotion by their stuff like I was for "Honor Found in Decay". That album still gives me chills (in fact I got one as I typed that sentence...). I suppose the fact that I saw them performing tracks from it live certainly didn't detract from its impact on me, but I loved it before I ever saw them live. It's just an absolute beast, IMO.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 01-03-2014 at 02:04 PM.