Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO-- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014

Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Humanaut

MMXIII in review

A slow year compared to previous years, I still managed to keep up with new releases until about the beginning of June. I kind of lost my pace when the summer started with a job, moving, classes, etc...I'll try to finish this thread for once this year.

Top 5 Shows
Best EP/Compilation/Live list
Honorable Mentions for 2013
Best of 2013 (Between 25-50, I'm still trying to get that number figured out.

But first......

Worst Show of 2013

Corrections House with 2 random Alachua County openers
Monday, January 28th
The Atlantic Nightspot
Gainesville, FL

Upon seeing the lineup for this unknown band, which is Scott Kelly (Neurosis), Bruce Lamont (Yakuza), Mike IX Williams (Eyehategod) and Sanford Parker (Nachtmystium), I couldn't believe that they were actually going to play Gainesville. For the billionth time I cursed the fact that my CD collection was back home at my parents house as I finished up my last year of college. This would have been the perfect show to get that Scott Kelly solo release signed but c'est la vie. My roommate and I went with no idea what to expect. It was the most random mix of ambient, noise, spoken word, and segments of actual music I have ever heard but what seemed to be without purpose. I can't really explain what was going on for those first 40 minutes before my roommamte and I both turned to each other with the deer in the headlights look. We left immediately after. I haven't bothered to delve into anything they may have released this year after that show. Maybe I just don't get it. Judge for yourselves.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Buahahahahaha

Yeah, I reviewed that album for KSJS, it's definitely out there. But given who's on the record, you can't be entirely surprised.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Humanaut

Top 5 Shows of 2013

5. Meshuggah, Animals as Leaders, and Intronaut
Monday, February 11th
The Beacham Theater
Orlando, FL

I had been beyond pissed the moment this tour was announced sine AaL was placed above Intronaut on the bill. I'm not a fan of AaL and while I'll never write off on seeing a band live, I wasn't impressed with them at all. Sure, they are gifted musicians and there are just 3 people in this band, but I can't get into them no matter how hard I try. With that being said, I would have rather seen a longer set from Intronaut than 45 minutes from AaL. A combination of things saved this show for me: making barricade after only showing up 30 minutes before doors, getting a couple Pitch Black EP vinyls for free, not only having the security guy sell me a gram of some amazing Purple but also allowing me to run to my car to get my pipe and go backstage to smoke in between bands, and almost breaking my neck to Meshuggah headbanging. The only negative part of the show was that Jens was just starting to get sick (it was the first date of the tour) and you could notice that as the set went on. They did Dancers to a Discordant System with no vocalist.

Intronaut - Milk Leg (shit quality from some guy with a camera phone on the balcony)

Meshuggah - Dancers to a Discordant System (Instrumental)

4.Dying Fetus, Exhumed, Waking the Cadaver, Abiotic
Sunday, October 6th
BackBooth
Orlando, FL

No Devourment for this show. We only found that out at the door so my friend and I bailed to get food somewhere and come back. We were also told Abiotic and WtC had switched spots so that lead to our food run decision. Apparently, they never changed spots on the bill so we missed Abiotic and got stuck watching WtC. Slam slam, bro bro. Out of the 3 times I've seen them, Exhumed put on the best show and it was the show that I've seen them have the most energy. They absolutely killed it. Dying Fetus, well, it made my top 5 so that should tell you something. Class, professionalism, and insanity; always present at every Dying Fetus show.

Exhumed - As Hammer to Anvil (The lady who films most of these live shows and puts them on YouTube, hvymtlmom, is Kathy. She's been a long time friend of mine so check out her videos. I also believe I show up in some of the Exhumed and Dying Fetus videos since I was standing right next to her.)

Dying Fetus - Homicidal Retribution

Last edited by illninoese; 12-30-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Yeah, I reviewed that album for KSJS, it's definitely out there. But given who's on the record, you can't be entirely surprised.
Yeah, hence my high hopes. It was just strange seeing something like that live without even thinking the show was going to drift into the area it did. Right out of left field. Can you link me to your review? It might encourage me to give the record a spin.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
Yeah, hence my high hopes. It was just strange seeing something like that live without even thinking the show was going to drift into the area it did. Right out of left field. Can you link me to your review? It might encourage me to give the record a spin.
I can't. It was just a little review that we put on the CDs. There's a system where they just want song ratings and a brief description. I don't know if I have it saved to my hard drive.
8/30 Whirr
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

If you're not into ambient/drone-y doom, you may not like it, but I thought that record was killer. At least watch this video. Though this track is a bit more fast-paced.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Humanaut

3. Summer Slaughter 2013 - The Dillinger Escape Plan, Animals As Leaders, Periphery, Cattle Decapitation*, The Ocean, Revocation, Aeon, Rings of Saturn and Thy Art Is Murder
*House of Blues Orlando -> Disney -> No Cattle Decapitation
Monday, July 29th
Orlando, FL

I'm going to try and keep it short and sweet from here on out. I've been waiting years to see The Ocean and Aeon so this was a show I wanted to attend when dates were announced. I have never seen Revocation live and I've been listening to them a lot lately so that solidified it. We made it on the guest list by letting the Ocean crash at our place in Gainesville. I had a blast. I'll probably never get to see Aeon live again and they killed it. Dillinger is always fantastic and Periphery never disappoints me.

The Ocean

Aeon

Revocation

2. Morbid Angel 'Covenant' 20th Anniversary Tour
The Beacham
Friday, December 6th
Orlando, FL

Well, there's not much to say. It was Morbid Angel. There were 2 sets basically. The only thing that would have been better was to be at the Tampa show but I had to work the next day so there went that idea. I made it just in time for that show as well, I had to take 2 final exams before leaving for Orlando. I sacrificed going to see Finntroll for this show as well.

1. Tension 2013 - Nine Inch Nails and Gary Numan
Amway Center
Thursday, October 31st
Orlando, FL

This was my 4th time seeing NIN. I have been fortunate enough to have gone to the Live: With Teeth, Lights in the Sky, and Wave Goodbye tours. This was the best of the four times. They played an encore with Reptile and it was on Halloween, I hit the fucking jackpot with this show and the 60 days leading up to it since the album came out on my birthday. This was the experience I had with Gravity this year but with live music instead.

NIN - Reptile

The rest of the shows that I attended starting from #6 on down:
6. Intronaut
7. Havok
8. Paul Van Dyk
9. Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, Dying Fetus
10. Goatwhore, 3IOB, Withered, Abiotic
11. Ill Nino
12. Mushroomhead, Soceity's Plague, Gemini Syndrome, Final Trigger

Last edited by illninoese; 12-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
I'm not a fan of AaL and while I'll never write off on seeing a band live, I wasn't impressed with them at all. Sure, they are gifted musicians and there are just 3 people in this band, but I can't get into them no matter how hard I try. ]
AMEN!!

Bummed the Morbid Angel tour didn't come anywhere near me. Huge bummer that Devourment dropped off the Dying Fetus tour. That would have made an already awesome tour fucking incredible.

07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I fucking wish NIN had played Reptile when they played here. One of my favorite songs period and I missed it. :'(
Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Humanaut

EP/Compilation/Live Albums of 2013 - #37-#30

37. Adema - Topple the Giants

From a 5-piece down down to a 3-piece. 4 re-recorded songs as a 3-piece that were played with 4 or 5 people before. Out of the 7 tracks presented, none of the 3 original tracks stand out at any point. To top it all off, the worst album artwork in recent memory. The worst EP of 2013. Hands down.

36. The Acacia Strain - Money for Nothing

"So I just found out a second ago that Prosthetic Records is putting out a “rarities” TAS record, without anyone knowing. It has b sides from Dead Walk and Continent sessions plus re brown noise from Dead Walk sessions. DONT BUY IT. DOWNLOAD THE FUCK OUT OF IT." - Daniel “DL” Laskiewics (Ex-lead guitar player for TaS). That about sums this up.

35. Adrenaline Mob - Coverta

There is something wrong when you do an EP that is all covers when you only have one full album under your belt.

34. A Perfect Circle - Three Sixty

The deluxe edition is what I should have went with because the standard edition is kind of a disappoint. The standard edition comes off as a money grabbing scheme.

33. Anthrax - Covers

It was interesting to see Anthrax cover the songs that make up this EP but they just didn't do it for me when compared to the originals. I'm not hating on Anthrax, they just played it safe with this. Everyone does that though.

32. Entites - Aether

Another single word djent name band (it has become a recurring theme). I don't have any problems at all with djent. In fact, it's one of my favorite genres (but I refer to it as modern metal since that is what it was referred to as when I first got into it). No originality here though. Big letdown.

31. MIRA - Three Pound Universe

I found this band through a Last.FM recommendation on a friend's page. See #32 above but with an actual bit of creativity.

30. Blind Guardian - An Extraordinary Tale

Only available with the "A Traveler’s Guide to Space and Time" box set, it's full of a bunch of demo tracks.

Last edited by illninoese; 01-07-2014 at 02:24 PM.