Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

hey, here are some albums I liked this year

by the way, what was I thinking when I called myself larvtard? ugh.

Forget sludge; this is the most soul-crushingly heavy piece of music I've heard since 'hatred for mankind' by Dragged Into Sunlight.

They also released a cool EP this year titled 'master we perish.'
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
'hatred for mankind' by Dragged Into Sunlight.
Color me intrigued. Love that album.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post
Color me intrigued. Love that album.
It's a different style of metal, but the bands are similar in tone; that is, absolute vitriol and disgust. Imagine a malicious demon pouring acid into your eardrums. (And not the good kind; if anything, this is the sound of a bad, bad trip.)

Maybe the album cover will you give an idea of what this sounds like. Hoax doesn't give a fuck, and they can't stop boasting about it. This is bitter, yet lethargic hardcore punk with grimy noise (or maybe it's just the thin production) coloring it rancid, a mold that will not cease to grow. Your parents will die.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

When I write about music, I try to avoid cliches as much as possible. (Or when writing in general.) One particular cliche that is rampant in the world of music criticism is calling a piece of music "well-crafted"; these are musicians, not blacksmiths! But listen to the opening track of Eldir Nott, "Vigil," and tell me that that Fyrnask haven't mastered the "craft" of repugnant, yet absolutely gorgeous black metal. Look me in the fucking eye. (Or show me something you like better. I can't hear everything.)
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Hey, did you know Stephen Brodsky of Cave In and a few other bands is a singer-songwriter, and a rad one at that? Well, now you do. My favorite song of his isn't on this EP, but it's one of my favorite songs ever, so here you go. Fall in love.

Also, here's a picture of his face just because.

BTW, if these images are too large for any of you (making the page load too slowly), let me know!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post

Hey, did you know Stephen Brodsky of Cave In and a few other bands is a singer-songwriter, and a rad one at that? Well, now you do. My favorite song of his isn't on this EP, but it's one of my favorite songs ever, so here you go. Fall in love.
I did know that actually. I saw him open for Pelican years ago. I didn't know he had a new EP out though. Nice!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:42 PM

How was Pelican live? I missed them on their most recent tour. I imagine they'd be amazing.

Hey, remember the last scene of Requiem for a Dream? You know, the 'ass to ass'? Well, that was your girlfriend last night with one of the carnies in town for the circus. Except for one thing: she was totally enjoying it, bro. Every goddamn second of it. That slut. Oh, what's that? Now all your friends have abandoned you for being a little pussy? Haha, you are a pussy, man.

Everything is fucked.

But hey, um, don't go starting anything or whatever. You definitely shouldn't go chug a liter of Johnnie Walker Red. That guy walking down the street, looking the wrong way at you? Yeah, he's not looking at you, man; he's minding his own business. If anything, he's purposely trying to look away, 'cause he can smell the whiskey-fueled rage emanating out of your pores. Seriously, bro, go home. I wasn't trying to antagonize you! I'm sorry if you took it that way. Go home. You're not in your right mind now. You're gonna regret this in the morning.

Stream on bandcamp

Last edited by larvtard; 12-30-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:04 PM

I want to run around in circles and pace the floor and chug a 40 and then trip and fall into a puddle of my own vomit. Only then would I feel truly alive.

Stream on bandcamp
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM

The sound of your suburbanite ass on PCP.

Stream on bandcamp. Feral, grinding hardcore punk. I particularly like "On Paper."
Old 12-30-2013, 04:20 PM

So it was a normal day at the gym, y'know? Lifting with my bros. Reppin' those muscles for the ladies, 'cause they love that shit. When all of a sudden these fuckin' DOGS come barrelling in out of nowhere - like, how the fuck did they even get in? The door was locked, you know... it was just like, all of a sudden, like I said, I turned around and they were there. Jaws drooling red. And they looked pissed off, man! And I was too, especially 'cause they started eating my friends. But, whatever. I shot the bastards, then headed over to my lady's flat.

Stream/download for free on bandcamp. I promise you, the music's not nearly as macho and unintelligent as I just made it out to be.