Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

7. Meshuggah - Koloss

Here is another pretentious review from that same goofball who talked about Baroness and Torche. Something tells me he's a fan of HEAVY .
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 PM

6. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

This album shouldn't really surprise anyone either. It was praised heavily in 2012 by many other folks more eloquent than yours truly, and they did a better job of stating the case for it, so all I will say is that it's one of the best albums ever made by one of the best grindcore bands to ever have existed, and seeing material from it played live at Maryland Deathfest this past year certainly didn't change my mind to the contrary. This material is just about as brutal as anything that's ever been written by anyone, but perhaps the best part is that the heart and soul of this music - the killer mosh-worthy riffs - are really only made by two fucking people. Not taking anything away from J.R. (who is a fucking beast) or Blake (who is great at adding a touch of the creeps here and there, just to make the whole thing that much more awesome), but the magic of this band is that Scott Hull and whatever drummer PxDx has on tap at the time (in this case, Adam Jarvis from Misery Index) can create so much brutal-yet-beautiful-yet-spastic-as-fuck-yet-completely-organized noise, and in such a compelling way. Simply put, "Book Burner" is a shining example of why this band has been getting nothing but well-deserved praise for over a decade. Also, the bonus disc of punk covers is a nice addition that allows the band to strut their hardcore influences and have a little fun at the same time.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM

5. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Speaking of surprises and non-surprises...for those that know me well, this album's placement at #5 should be a little of both. On the one hand, many people swooned over this album to no end last year, and so the fact that it appears here is perhaps a bit of "gee, I didn't see that coming at all ". On the other hand, I've stated many times before that I'm just getting into doom these past few years, and I'm still rather picky about it. In addition, I've said on more that one occasion that funeral doom isn't a sub-genre where I find a lot of material to my liking. Yet, here this album stands. The reason is simple - I loved it. From start to finish, it keeps my interest every time I play it, despite the fact that the tempo is mind-numbingly slow at times, which admittedly isn't always my thing. The songs are just so damned heavy, though - and the atmosphere created by the band's playing, the massively heavy and fuzzed-out guitar tone, and the haunting vocals just slay me every time. Add to all of this the fact that I've seen these cats play material from this album twice in the past fifteen months or so - and yeah, they absolutely KILLED IT both times, and the result is that this band and album are on my radar screen dead fucking center for the foreseeable future. I can't wait to hear their next album.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 PM

4. Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay

Here is yet another review from the Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah guy. Something tells me he liked the album. Perhaps the five stars make that statement sorta obvious.

On a personal note, I finally got a chance to attend my first Neurosis show a year ago today (review here), and I still get goosebumps when I think about it one year hence. It's still one of the best shows I have ever seen - EVER.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM

3. Ides of Gemini - Constantinople

Here is yet another review from the Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah / Neurosis guy. It's like he's reading my fucking mind or something on these albums.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 PM

2. Royal Thunder - CVI

Simply put, I love this album. I listened to it more than any other album in 2012 - save one other (OK, technically two...but more on that in a minute) - and I still do today. It's just so good. Also, I've been blessed to see this band perform material from this album twice in the last year and a half or so, and I can tell you that they are an excellent band to see live as well...but back to the album. The songs are just...intoxicating - especially the amazingly infectious "Blue", which is one of my favorite songs of all time. I literally get goosebumps every time I hear it. The band closes with it whenever they play, and although I don't say this for very many bands or songs, I honestly think I'd probably be just fine if they close with it for the rest of their careers. Sorry, I'm getting all fanboyish here, but when something strikes me as much as this song and album did, I just don't know what other reaction could be more appropriate. This album is Royal Thunder's debut full-length, and it knocked me on my ass more than any other debut has in probably...ever.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:51 PM

1. Ufomammut - ORO (Opus Primum / Opus Alter)

Well, yet again, I was able to locate a review for this album online from that Baroness / Torche / Meshuggah / Neurosis / Ides of Gemini guy - only there are not one, but two tasty reviews to read...so take a swig of that energy drink and dive on in whenever you're ready.

...but seriously folks, this double album just blew me the fuck away. I have to be honest - I had never listened to this band before being asked to review the album, but after checking out the first half, I grabbed up all of their back catalog and started listening to them like mad. When the second half of the album dropped, it was like the completion of a quest or something. I've fallen head over heels for this trio of Italian doom maestros, and when I heard they were going to play MDF in 2012, I couldn't wait to buy a ticket. Then, when I heard that they'd had to cancel due to an illness in one of the band members' families, I was more than a little disappointed. They remain on my bucket list as the foremost band I want to see before I croak someday. This double album is a true masterpiece - I know that word gets thrown around a lot, but in this case it's completely accurate. I have no idea what these guys will do next, but until then, I'll be spinning their stuff - especially this album - on a regular basis.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 AM

Well, that just about does it.

Now, some of the more detail-oriented folks may notice that I didn't post the lists for best shows / performances yet, but I promise I'll get around to that soon. As with the rest of this thread, the actual lists themselves are done (and have been for a long time), but the post(s) will take some time to complete because I plan to embed links to all the gig reports I did on this forum for each show. Suffice to say that, as Popeye once said, "I've had all I can stand, and I can't stands no more" - at least for now. This old fart has to go to bed - I gots a busy day ahead of me tomorrow trying to finalize my top ten for 2013 and going out to see Clutch in the evening.

Thanks for reading, as always. Sorry I haven't been around a lot this past year, but family life and work have really had their way with me in 2013. It's all for the best - 2013 was a challenging but extremely rewarding year - but I was so busy most of the time I didn't even have a chance to listen to much music. Don't worry, though - there'll still be a thread (someday), because despite a few disappointments, there was a lot of awesome music in 2013 that I do want to acknowledge.

Speaking of which, I know it's somewhat of a joke that this list finally got finished just a day before 2013 ended, but to me it was important to give the albums the praise they deserve - especially the ones that not many people listened to. Hopefully, I'll have more free time this upcoming year and it won't take until New Year's Eve Eve to get the list for 2013 finished next time.

Please feel free to question, agree, disagree, roll your eyes or altogether ignore anything you read here. I appreciate all comments.

The Nat
Old 12-30-2013, 05:16 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
5. Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

funeral doom
I thought Pallbearer was considered traditional doom if anything. Not trying to nitpick subgenres or anything, but I've never heard funeral doom and Pallbearer thrown around together before.

Spot on with Royal Thunder. That one also landed somewhere in my top 5. "Whispering World" is still one of my most played songs. I just bought the vinyl of CVI a few days ago and I can't wait to spin that when it gets here.
11/7 Weekend Nachos
11/14 Decapitated ?
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Very diverse list. Respect.

11/03-Suffocation, Kataklysm (?)
11/25-Slayer (?)