Mastodon -- Nordfjordied, Norway -- July 18th, 2014
Queens of the Stone Age -- Philadelphia, PA -- July 20th, 2014
Queensryche -- Waukesha, WI -- July 19th, 2014
Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

Top 5 Albums I Heard This Year That Came Out Other Years

Probably a reallly bad title for this, and I apologize . This list will be of albums/bands that I heard for the first time (or really got into and loved) this year that came out in other years.... not going to finish it all in one night, but let's get this started

1. Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (2010)

It was a nice day at work, I was driving around doing my job, and my phone goes off. It's a text from my girlfriend asking if I had ever heard of the band "Gallowbraid", I reply with the usual "No, i have not! Any good?" and she goes on about how good it is! I get home and check it out... and O-M-G, I fell in love.

This album was the best album I heard all year, and it was released 3 years ago! The best description I can give for Gallowbraid is "It's like Agalloch, but only the good parts.... It's those parts you hear on an Agalloch album that you wish they would keep playing, but they don't." It's what I want to hear when I listen to Agalloch, or any other band like Agalloch... ITS JUST AMAZING. Sure, this EP is only 2 long ass songs and 2 instrumentals, but it is just perfect from beginning to end. My lady even gave me her copy of the disc that she bought... and I think I've listened to it so much that it is worn out!

I could go on for days about how much I love this album.... but I will stop here and post a link to a full album YouTube stream. I would strongly suggest listening to it... and if you don't have time to sit through the 10+ minute songs, MAKE TIME. They will be releasing a full length next year

SUPPORT THIS BAND!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDeOcJLzoX0

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Correction* If you count the bonus track (which was only available on the vinyl copy, i believe), then there are 3 full long ass songs and 2 instrumentals.

I'll continue my list later today or tomorrow

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-24-2013, 07:41 PM

2. Whirling - Faceless Phenomena (2010)

Now, I guess I can say I am kinda cheating with this one in a way. I had heard this album years ago, back when I used to download tons of music, but I never got around to giving it a good spin. I decided to listen to a lot of my older music that I only had burnt copies of, and re-found this masterpiece. I don't know how to describe this album, other than disturbingly beautiful. The music makes you feel like you are walking through an insane asylum, and the vocals (mainly cleans) are haunting with the reverb and tone they produce. This album has easily snuck in to one of my favorite albums of all time. There really isn't much more I can say about this album, as it is in a league of its own. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

TL;DR Version - Listen to this album if you enjoy weird shit.

Globe in Sway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHEYZsECDg
The Watcher - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUgTABuzFG4

This music will give you nightmares.

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 AM

3. Kingston Wall - I-III (1992-1994)

Christmas Special... the only non-metal band on this whole list... the Finnish Prog Psychedelic Space Rock band, Kingston Wall! I couldn't pick just ONE album out of their 3 they put out in the early to mid nineties to be on this list, so I had to choose the whole trilogy! I had no idea who this band ever was, not the slightest, until my girlfriend introduced them to me and I fell in love. The music is rockin, the drums are (MPF, you MUST listen to them...) and they are just an all around amazing band. It's a shame their career ended so suddenly, but at least the 3 albums they left us with are all amazing in their own way. I is a more straight up classic rock album in vein of Jimi Hendrix, II is much more experimental and catchy, as well as original, and III-Trilogy is a lot like II... if II were to drop tons of acid before recording.

I would recommend this band to all of you if you enjoy some Psychedelic Prog. This isn't even my favorite style of music, but these albums are just GREAT!

And I Hear You call (I) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNplrZZm5d0
Two Of A Kind (II) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXCO0ZSZco
Could It Be So (II) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMtk3lalzY
Another Piece of Cake (III) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-ti95VUdE

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-25-2013, 07:39 AM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitydeth View Post
I like this list because it's honest. I swear some of these lists can get whose more hipster.
Yes and yes!

07/21-Devourment (?)
07/28-Cannibal Corpse (?)
08/09-Heavy MTL (?)
08/10-Heavy MTL (?)
Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 PM

4. Kampfar - Fra Underverdenen (1999)

One of the most underrated Norwegian Black Metal bands in the history of forever. Kampfar brings such a different tone to the Black Metal scene. It's not all about blast beats and tremolo picking, not about hailing Satan or performing rituals, but just about the melodies and the atmosphere. And this album, Fra Underverdenen, really shows that. This album was their second album, and I cannot believe that I never heard it until this year! All of the songs are near perfection, and the atmosphere and mental visualizations that the songs bring are great! I would recommend this as one of the best Kampfar albums to start at because it really gives you a great idea as to what they are all about.

I Ondskapens Kunst - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXZaeQzn_SQ
Troll, Død Og Trolldom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj8hAxMjwbg

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Top 5 Albums I Heard This Year That Came Out Other Years

Probably a reallly bad title for this, and I apologize . This list will be of albums/bands that I heard for the first time (or really got into and loved) this year that came out in other years.... not going to finish it all in one night, but let's get this started

1. Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (2010)

It was a nice day at work, I was driving around doing my job, and my phone goes off. It's a text from my girlfriend asking if I had ever heard of the band "Gallowbraid", I reply with the usual "No, i have not! Any good?" and she goes on about how good it is! I get home and check it out... and O-M-G, I fell in love.

This album was the best album I heard all year, and it was released 3 years ago! The best description I can give for Gallowbraid is "It's like Agalloch, but only the good parts.... It's those parts you hear on an Agalloch album that you wish they would keep playing, but they don't." It's what I want to hear when I listen to Agalloch, or any other band like Agalloch... ITS JUST AMAZING. Sure, this EP is only 2 long ass songs and 2 instrumentals, but it is just perfect from beginning to end. My lady even gave me her copy of the disc that she bought... and I think I've listened to it so much that it is worn out!

I could go on for days about how much I love this album.... but I will stop here and post a link to a full album YouTube stream. I would strongly suggest listening to it... and if you don't have time to sit through the 10+ minute songs, MAKE TIME. They will be releasing a full length next year

SUPPORT THIS BAND!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDeOcJLzoX0
This album is amazing so far!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead on with the write up for it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
This album is amazing so far!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead on with the write up for it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Glad you found something you enjoyed! I cannot wait for their next release. Sure this one is only two (or 3, counting the bonus) songs... but goddamn, it is just brilliant!

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 AM

5. Panopticon - Kentucky (2012)

What better way to wrap up my top 5 new finds of the year than with Kentucky's own Black Metal/Bluegrass trip, Panopticon!

I had never heard of this band prior to 2013, but when I heard that there was a band that mixed Bluegrass instruments with black metal I thought was skeptical, and thought it would be DUMB AS FUCK, especiallly with a name like Panopticon! What is this, a Pantera themed Transformer? I checked out a couple songs on YouTube and thought it was good, but nothing amazing. I found a copy of this album for a good price on my band's labels webstore and decided to give it a true shot... and WOW... I was blown away.

It isn't as "Blackgrass" as some reviews make it out to be (it isn't HEY WE R TEH BLACK METULZ PLAYING TEH BLUEGRASSES IN SONGS LOL). The album is made up of half folk-black metal songs that at times do have bluegrass instruments, and half straight up bluegrass songs! I wasn't sure what to think of it, I really wasn't, but listening to the album from front to back is a trip. You can tell that this guy is very proud of where he is from, and its history. To be honest, the power this album produced brought a tear to my eye. It is so great to hear AMERICAN black metal pay tribute to AMERICAN roots. Who would have thought it could be done so well?

Here is a link to their Bandcamp to stream the whole album. Much like the Gallowbraid EP, this deserves a listen from beginning to end. Just give it a chance and you'll see how well it all melds together... but if you are just wanting a quick sample, click on "Bodies Under the Falls".

http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/album/kentucky

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
5. Panopticon - Kentucky (2012)

What better way to wrap up my top 5 new finds of the year than with Kentucky's own Black Metal/Bluegrass trip, Panopticon!

I had never heard of this band prior to 2013, but when I heard that there was a band that mixed Bluegrass instruments with black metal I thought was skeptical, and thought it would be DUMB AS FUCK, especiallly with a name like Panopticon! What is this, a Pantera themed Transformer? I checked out a couple songs on YouTube and thought it was good, but nothing amazing. I found a copy of this album for a good price on my band's labels webstore and decided to give it a true shot... and WOW... I was blown away.

It isn't as "Blackgrass" as some reviews make it out to be (it isn't HEY WE R TEH BLACK METULZ PLAYING TEH BLUEGRASSES IN SONGS LOL). The album is made up of half folk-black metal songs that at times do have bluegrass instruments, and half straight up bluegrass songs! I wasn't sure what to think of it, I really wasn't, but listening to the album from front to back is a trip. You can tell that this guy is very proud of where he is from, and its history. To be honest, the power this album produced brought a tear to my eye. It is so great to hear AMERICAN black metal pay tribute to AMERICAN roots. Who would have thought it could be done so well?

Here is a link to their Bandcamp to stream the whole album. Much like the Gallowbraid EP, this deserves a listen from beginning to end. Just give it a chance and you'll see how well it all melds together... but if you are just wanting a quick sample, click on "Bodies Under the Falls".

http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/album/kentucky
This is without doubt the weirdest thing I've ever heard. It's not the worst thing I've ever heard and I can picture people who like those kind of vocals liking it. The artwork screams identity crisis but I'm guessing that's what they were going for. I'm old school and bought many, many albums based on artwork and song titles back in the day. I can picture me in a record store just looking at this cover going WTF? for an hour...