Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Summer Slaughter -- Knoxville, TN -- July 31st, 2014
Lich King -- Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014
Cannibal Corpse -- South Burlington, VT -- July 28th, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Camden, NJ -- July 30th, 2014

Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 AM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

When the snacks and gum and shit in supermarkets are different at each of the checkout lines. 3 Musketeers is in checkout lane 6, but not in lane 8.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Fuck you.

The following....

"I can't/I can't even"
"Just saying"
"Sorry not sorry"
"Tho/doe"
Old 12-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

The sad extent people go to to justify stealing music. They all sound like they're trying to convince themselves that it's OK as much as they are anyone else.

My current favourite is using that recent Maiden story about planning tours in South America because they realised South America are the biggest music pirates.

"Would they rather I buy a CD, or steal a CD, share with a bunch of other freeloaders, and hopefully we all like it enough to come to a show."

Totally valid. I know for sure that Porsche would rather everyone stole 911s so that there's the potential they have to buy bespoke parts when it breaks down.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen
Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM
N00B

People who don't know the difference between theft and piracy.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Amazing. So now theft isn't theft. Even though the snarky pic above blatantly contains the word "stolen" in it's meme description. The self-serving justifications are getting more and more outrageous. It's to the point where the thieves are now cocky enough to "educate" the rest of us on how theft and piracy are different.

It would be great to see a thief get their intellectual property stolen one day as a nice role reversal. Why do you think ticket and merch prices are rising astronomically lately? These bands are trying desperately to offset losses from album sales tanking as well as trying to keep up with normal inflation.

Maiden has a luxury of capitalizing on this situation, but most bands don't and can't. You have been and will see more of confused promoters having difficulty booking correctly sized venues for bands because of the mismatch in album sales to ticket sales. Congrats thief, everyone's life is now harder. Promoters play guessing games, bands have to tour a lot more (sets become shorter), labels have to cross a marketing minefield, shirts are now $40, disc manufacturers twiddle their thumbs while laying off more employees, record stores keep closing, and much more! But piracy is harmless right?
Old 12-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
People who don't know the difference between theft and piracy.
This'd be valid if it weren't bullshit.

Someone steals my CD: theft, against me. Because that CD is mine.

Someone steals a CD form a record store: theft, against the record store.

Someone illegally downloads an album: theft, against the band and label

It's not really a difficult distinction. If the thing being stolen isn't physical, it's not theft? So, someone who gives government/military documents to the a terrorist didn't steal them because he used a photocopier or a USB drive? Give me a break.

30/7 King Diamond
1-2/8 BiesenRock Festival
3/8 Lokerse Festival
16/9 Richie Kotzen

Last edited by ravenheart; 12-27-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Line of the week. First place, you win. The end.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
N00B

No, theft is still theft. Piracy isn't theft. It's Piracy, as the picture explains. And the word "stolen" is there to parody how the word gets thrown around incorrectly to describe piracy. Saying your car gets "stolen" when it's still there is incorrect, just like saying downloading an album for free is "stealing" it when the physical copy it was developed from is still in the same place as it was before a pirated online copy was created. I especially feel it applies since ravenheart used an example of Porsches being outright stolen.

I'm not defending piracy, despite the fact that I take part in it (I know, i'm a bad person, fuck you). I'm just sick of the people on their high horse comparing it to actual theft. It's an incorrect analogy based on a huge logical fallacy. When people do something like compare an illegally acquired digital copy of an album to, say, stealing a painting from a museum, they're better off comparing it to a digital image of that same painting that was acquired for free without permission. Because that's what piracy is.

You think Piracy is wrong? I don't necessarily disagree. You want to say how it's bad? Say how it hurts the artists because they put their hard work into making the music and don't get the proper compensation for it, and have to rely more on touring and merchandise, and how it especially hurts recoupment. But quit using some high moral comparison that's not even correct. Especially since if you're "stealing" from anyone with piracy, it's the record companies, not the artists, since artists most of the time don't own any of their music, and even before downloading took off they saw next to nothing from physical CD sales. So why don't people cry fowl about how we're hurting the record companies? Oh right, because record companies are the big bad people (something I don't necessarily disagree with either), who we shouldn't feel sorry for. Just the bands.

And please, ticket prices and merch prices have always been sky high. They're not getting higher at all. In fact, in some cases they're getting cheaper. I've never been to a show before this past year for signed bands on mid-sized labels where bands were only charging $15 for a t-shirt. Big arena bands and bands on touring festivals like Warped and Ozzfest would always be charging $40 before p2p filesharing became an issue, because people are willing to pay that much.

Last edited by AnthG; 12-28-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Rats off to ya

I download albums sometimes but I don't think it's generally an ok thing to do. One thing I will say is that there's plenty of artist that I have bought albums/tickets from who I never would have gotten into in the first place if I never pirated their music.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM
N00B

Quote:

Someone steals my CD: theft, against me. Because that CD is mine.

Someone steals a CD form a record store: theft, against the record store.

Someone illegally downloads an album: theft, against the band and label
Here's the problem with this description. If that CD is now yours, wouldn't that mean you're able to do with it what you want? I mean, we see bands all the time distribute their music for free through free album streams on youtube and other website, because they own that music. So if you own a CD aren't you able to distribute that as you like? Whether it's lending it to a friend that they listen to over and over again without buying their own copy, letting them rip it, or ripping it yourself for that person? Or burning them a copy?

Just like if someone steals your car, that's theft, but if you give them permission to use your car it's ok. If i'm giving someone, or 1,000,000 people, permission to listen to my CD by giving them a digital copy of it, wouldn't it then make it ok, because it's based off of my copy that I physically and legally purchased?

Quote:
It's not really a difficult distinction. If the thing being stolen isn't physical, it's not theft? So, someone who gives government/military documents to the a terrorist didn't steal them because he used a photocopier or a USB drive? Give me a break.
No, it'd be breach of privacy as well as distribution of confidential information to unauthorized parties. When that person is imprisoned for his actions, it'll be for that as well as likely treason. Not theft.