Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Yea I think I remember seeing you disagree with me when I made the comment when it came out. Like some albums I might give it 6 months or so and try it again. Abrasive is how I generally like NIN. The album is a lot of things and as we both know it's not that abrasive.
Totally agree. Abrasive it ain't.

Speaking of which, I do like the abrasive side, too, but to me they're almost like two different bands. It all depends on my mood. I'll spin "The Downward Spiral" when I want to rage or when I'm working out, but I needs me some PHM when I'm in the mood to trip out and get all introspective and shit.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

#8: Carcass - Surgical Steel

So many years in the making. I was worried that this wasn't going to hold up w/ the rest of the Carcass discography. I would have to say for the most part the answer to that question is yes. I felt this was a risk for Carcass. As much as some felt Swansong hurt their legacy, a half assed return would have hurt them even worse.

I know everybody falls under different Carcass that they prefer. This is probably blasphemy but first 2 albums, don't care for them. To me it seems like they had the worst production values & because of that a lot of people love these 2 and hate everything after. Now Necroticism, that album to me is the best shit they've ever done. Just untouchable IMO. Don't like Heartwork at all, too clean, just doesn't have the balls Necroticism does. I loved the concept behind Swansong, didn't like a lot of the songs but lived the death n' roll concept they were going for. If this album had almost any other name it would have been better received IMO. To me it feels a little bit like Surgical Steel took after a little bit of Heartwork. & Necroticism. As soon as you start out with "Thrasher's Abattoir" you can immediately tell this album will not be a letdown. While "Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard" feels like it could have followed up "Incarnated Solvent Abuse" 22 years ago with its progressive twin guitar attack which I feel was the biggest highlight of the album.

That being said, I know I've seen this as #1 by several magazines/web sites. It's a really great top 10 album but I feel any site that has this #1 is going off name recognition and not from the actual material. I think that anybody who loves Carcass after 1989 will find this to be the album they've been waiting for since 1996 (some since after Heartwork).

Standout Track: Noncompliance To ASTM F 899-12 Standard
Old 12-22-2013, 10:00 PM

#7: The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer

This feels like a natural progression that has been coming ever since Miss Machine. Everything that came before Miss Machine were complex song structures and odd time signatures. Usually almost any other band who simplifies their songs & music will make progressively shittier music & fans will cry sell out. To DEP this statement is dead wrong. Simple isn't always bad. Less is more.

I look forward to new DEP every few years because I always want to see what new ideas are brought to the table. They manage to mesh brutality, technical proficiency & as of late some of the most infectious choruses. Album starts out w/ one of my favorites "Prancer". It feels like Greg is doing just as much screaming but yet the lyrics seem easier to understand. This is another example of a great chorus as well & it stuck in my head quickly. "When I Lost My Bet" & "Understanding Decay" are great examples of Dillinger using the jazzy interludes that they've used for years. My favorite song on here is "Nothing's Funny". This would have almost been the best song to use as their first single. Brutal at certain points but features mostly clean singing from Greg with one of their best choruses they've ever written period, "Eventually the jokes aren’t free/and Nothing’s ever fun/and Nothing’s funny."

I don't think they out did themselves from Option Paralysis, (which I absolutely loved) but even if it's not better that's no slight to this album. I still have yet to hear DEP make a bad album and this album will not start that streak. They've made an album that is still accessible & still manages to have balls.

Standout Tracks: Nothing's Funny
When I Lost My Bet

Last edited by 300%_Density; 12-23-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

WRONG ALBUM ART

I recently rediscovered my love of that album. So good :3
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
Old 12-23-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
WRONG ALBUM ART

I recently rediscovered my love of that album. So good :3
FIXED! 1 AM is tough for us old people.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM

#6 Nails - Abandon All Life

Wow. That is the first thing that I could even think of when I first heard Nails. I'm a little late to the Nails party. I first heard of Nails from this board and I finally got around to checking them out back in the summer of this year and I listened to Unsilent Death & then Abandon All Life one after the other. All I could even think of was wow.

This album might be the epitome of an album that has ABSOLUTELY no filler. This album is just so absolutely unrelentingly crushing. I kinda think of listening to this album like you are in a boxing match. The shorter songs just feels like you are getting quick jabs and longer songs like Wide Open Wound & Suum Cuique feels like you're just getting head blow after head blow before getting knocked out. Being a fan of early Napalm Death I definitely like the short quick songs on here. To me, where I think this album shines the most is on those 2 longer songs that I mentioned. I think of these as similar to the Cannibal Corpse songs that I love the most are the ones that are slower songs that just adds to the heaviness of the songs. That's the only thing that I would have changed from this masterpiece of an album is having them add even like 1 more song thats over 2:00 in length.

I'm really just running out of different ways to say how great of an album this is & how great of a band Nails is as well. If this album doesn't hit the Metalsetlists end of year Top 10 I would consider that to be a huge upset.

Stand Out Tracks:
The Whole Damn Album, Seriously its 17 minutes. Just listen to the whole thing.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM

#5 Power Trip - Manifest Decimation

Power Trip is yet another reason why I absolutely love this board so much. I had never heard of Power Trip until I was reading the 2013 thread in the album reviews section. I looked them up and I was just blown away. When I found out they played crossover/thrash, I knew that there was really going to be no way that I wouldn't love this and holy shit was I right.

Although after several lessons. I'm really thinking this feels to me more like a full on thrash album with a hint of crossover. This definitely doesn't have the feel of thrash from 2013. After my 1st listen the only album that I kept thinking about was how much listening to this reminded me of Bonded By Blood. The music reminded me so much of early Exodus and vocally there were several times where it reminded me of Paul Baloff. Tracks 1-8, there are no weak tracks, no let downs, no lulls in the action. For me the album really picks up when we get to Conditioned To Death which starts out sounding like something that could have been on Kill Em All. Murderers Row is the next track and it is my favorite. Great groove, great solo, just a monster of a track. And to continue my Exodus comparison Crossbreaker is the next track with a beginning that takes me back to Braindead with a great bassline.

I cannot think of a debut album (excluding the 7" they released last year) that I loved more than this album in a very long time. I like the Municipal Waste & Toxic Holocaust types of thrash that they both make. But this is on another level from the type of thrash that those types of bands are making. If you have not heard this and you like early Metallica, Exodus, Possessed, etc. then go out and do it right now.

Stand out tracks:
Murderer's Row
Conditioned To Death
Old 12-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
American Head Charge - Shoot EP: I've loved these guys for so many years. Loved their Trepidation/War of Art albums, and The Feeding had a few good songs. I was just thrilled that they finally got their shit together and put something out. I like this but don't love it. It still has more of a Feeding feel to it than it does War of Art but I'm hopeful next year they will release a full length album.
Standout Tracks: Rock N Roll Nigger Sugars Of Someday
Glad to see another American Head Charge fan on here. I mainly had the same thoughts after I finished listening to the EP. I enjoyed it quite a lot.....much more than I had expected. It raises the bar for the new album so I hope they can do it.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
Glad to see another American Head Charge fan on here. I mainly had the same thoughts after I finished listening to the EP. I enjoyed it quite a lot.....much more than I had expected. It raises the bar for the new album so I hope they can do it.
I still absolutely love AHC. Not a whole lot of bands that I still follow from that 2000-2001 time period but they are still one of my favorites. Can't wait for the new album.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Humanaut

Quote:
I still absolutely love AHC. Not a whole lot of bands that I still follow from that 2000-2001 time period but they are still one of my favorites. Can't wait for the new album.
One of the biggest letdowns of the year for me was the tour not coming to FL. I've never seen them on a venue live before. Bryan Ottoson died literally 2 days before they came to Orlando with Mudvayne and AHC dropped off. The Feeding had just come out and I was so amped to see some of the songs live. Extremely underrated band imo.