Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Old 12-22-2013, 12:15 PM
N00B

Man, totally agree on Carcass. Totally disagree on Skeletonwitch (despite me not really liking Beyond the Permafrost as much a lot of people). I don't know how to feel about you now.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
Man, totally agree on Carcass. Totally disagree on Skeletonwitch (despite me not really liking Beyond the Permafrost as much a lot of people). I don't know how to feel about you now.
I had such high expectations for Skeletonwitch because everyone loves them, but it just didn't work for me.

On to the list.

Top 30 Albums of 2013

30. Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood

This release sort of came out of nowhere to be awesome. The prior record was a step up for the band, but "Halo of Blood" brought them back to being good. It doesn't reach the brilliance of "Follow the Reaper" or "Hate Crew Deathroll". It seems like they aren't too heavy on the classical elements anymore, but the songwriting is finally interesting again. The title track and "Transference" are the highlights.

29. Lost Society - Fast Loud Death

What makes this album so good is that despite being very straightforward thrash, there's really nothing quite like it. The lead playing is completely bluesy, and the energy on this album is unparalleled. I feel like this band will be boring very quickly (they've already finished recording their next album), but this is definitely an interesting novelty. Standouts are "Trash All Over You" and "KILL (Those Who Oppose Me)".

28. Sodom - Epitome of Torture

When it comes to quality, Sodom is among the most consistent bands ever. While they change their sound often, they always deliver a good record. I think this one fell a bit short of "In War And Pieces", but it is nonetheless a stellar album. My favourites are "Epitome of Torture" and "Stigmatized".

27. Razormaze - Annihilatia

If there were an award for most improved band of 2013, it would go to Razormaze. The prior releases of theirs were ruined by vocals, but it seems like Razormaze has solved that problem. In addition to that, they've taken a more serious and technical approach. Almost like "...And Justice For All"-lite. This album is wicked, and I really hope people check it out because I think a lot of metal fans would like it. The best tracks are "Worshipping The Void" and "Electric Deception".
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
One who onions things

Couldn't have described the Sodom album better. Spot on sir.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I agree about Halo Of Blood. It doesn't compare to the albums from "when Bodom were good," but it's actually pretty good. Actually probably more like #25 on my list (if I am ever going to get around to making one, lol.)

I also agree that Surgical Steel is crazy overrated. Good, but nowhere near the praise it's been getting.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 AM

26. Coldsteel - America Idle (EP)

This band sort of came out of nowhere with a new release. This is a thrash band from the early 90's that put out one album before disbanding, but has recently reformed to put out this EP. The vocals are a bit gruff, and the riffs are nothing special, but the songwriting is contagious. I was actually familiar with them before they got on the Helloween tour, but they were awesome there, and that made me enjoy this release even more. The highlights are "America Idle" and "Blood Secrets"

25. Anvil - Hope In Hell

This is a bit of a disappointing release from Anvil. It is by no means bad, but "Juggernaut of Justice" was amazing, and this was a step down. A lot of the lyrics feel cliche, but that doesn't stop several of these songs from being really catchy. Also, it's hard not to like an album of this quality when you consider that Lips is 57 and still going strong. I suppose this ranking is the result of my excessive love for Anvil, but it's an enjoyable album nonetheless. Standout tracks are "Hope In Hell" and "Eat Your Words".

24. Havok - Unnatural Selection

This was one of my most anticipated records, but it didn't turn out perfectly. A few songs on this album are completely brilliant. They're thrashy, fast, and aggressive. But then the band made some questionable choices (the Sebastian Bach-esque vocals on "Under The Gun", the "Children of the Grave" cover, etc). It seems like the thrash community really disliked this album, but everyone else loved it. I fall right in the middle of those two, as I do enjoy listening to it, but my expectations were much higher. The best songs are "I Am The State", "Give Me Liberty... Or Give Me Death", and "Unnatural Selection".

23. Huntress - Starbound Beast

Huntress took a huge step up on this album as Jill Janus got rid of her "wailingness". The songs in general seem more focused. This album took a few listens to sink in, because it didn't have any standout hits like the last record did. I'm not sure why the band gets the hate they do, but I love Huntress' music. My favourites are "I Want To Fuck You To Death", "Destroy Your Life", and "Spectra Spectral".
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Headbanger

Cool list so far. Love Havok and Sodom getting some love. I've seen too many lists that omit them or people just never heard them I guess.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Cool list so far. Love Havok and Sodom getting some love. I've seen too many lists that omit them or people just never heard them I guess.

22. Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope

You have to respect Timo for never giving up. Even though he ran Stratovarius into the ground, he regrouped with the decent Revolution Renaissance, Symfonia, and now with this Avantasia copy. The good news is that this album is actually really enjoyable. It slows down a bit in the middle, but when you bring in Michael Kiske to do a straight-up plagiarism of "Keeper of the Seven Keys" for the title track of the record, you have a winner. Even though there are a number of moments that sound like they've ripped off another band, I suppose my love of power metal has made me overlook it. The highlights are "A World Without Us", "Enshrined In My Memory", and "The Land of New Hope".

21. Mindmaze - Mask of Lies

From the moment I first heard "Never Look Back", I knew this band would be awesome. The album took a while for me to really get into, because I'm not much of a prog guy, but the power metal elements reign strong as well so that helped. Part of what makes this album work so well is that the female vocals are not at all gimmicky, and that's so rare to hear in metal that it stands out a lot. The guitar work is incredible too. I also really enjoyed the tribute to Savatage in "Remember". The best songs are "Never Look Back", "This Holy War", and "Remember".

20. Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods

I only recently became an Amon Amarth fan, but this album is just awesome. It's really no different from anything else they've put out recently, but the production and songwriting are so impressive that it's hard not to love this album. I think because it's their first album of theirs that I've heard that is new since I became a fan, I put more time into learning it than the others, so I came away enjoying it more than the last two. Either way, it's right on par with all of the over stuff. Standout tracks are "Deceiver of the Gods", "As Loke Falls", and "Father of the Wolf".

19. Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood

Can anybody explain where this Death Angel came from and what they did with the Death Angel of albums past? I've always been a huge supporter of Death Angel, and I did like their previous albums, but they had a bad habit of putting a couple of fast tunes on their records and then easing off the gas for the rest of the album. On "The Dream Calls For Blood", they did no such thing. This album is pure speed for the most part, and is really impressive. If this is the new direction of Death Angel, I will definitely get to be more excited for each of their releases. My favourites are "Son of the Morning", "The Dream Calls For Blood", and "Caster of Shame".
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post

19. Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood

Can anybody explain where this Death Angel came from and what they did with the Death Angel of albums past? I've always been a huge supporter of Death Angel, and I did like their previous albums, but they had a bad habit of putting a couple of fast tunes on their records and then easing off the gas for the rest of the album. On "The Dream Calls For Blood", they did no such thing. This album is pure speed for the most part, and is really impressive. If this is the new direction of Death Angel, I will definitely get to be more excited for each of their releases. My favourites are "Son of the Morning", "The Dream Calls For Blood", and "Caster of Shame".
I'd have to say being a Death Angel fan has been one really interesting roller coaster of a ride. I was there from Day 1 when they were a big zine favorite. Loved the speed metal Ultra Violence then when Frolic came out it took a few spins but songs like Mind Rape, 3rd Floor and eventually Bored sunk in. Act III had songs I loved and songs I hated. Eventually I grew to really like songs like Room with a View and Veil of Deception only to have them vanish soon after.

I remember going to see The Organization live with 50 or so other people and they were great live actually. The the 5-6 Death Angel songs they played were all the heavy stuff so I got back into that and then kinda forgot about them.

Art of Dying and Killing Season both piqued my interest but not enough to really get me back into them. Then Relentless came out and I saw them live for the 1st time in 20 years and was blown away. The new songs were awesome live and way heavier than on cd.

Now they drop The Dream Calls For Blood on us? A full circle speed metal classic? <insert Scanners overused gif here> Mind Blown.

Wouldn't it be great if Megadeth and other bands had followed a similar path? I guess Testament has to a certain degree but not the pure speed metal path like DA took. I really hope they can influence some of those old school bands to do the same thing. NEED MORE SPEED!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Headbanger

After giving it some thought I guess Overkill needs to get some credit in this speed resurgence also. My favorite Overkill songs are the really fast ones or the really slow ones like Skullkrusher and Horrorscope. Their last 2 cd's are worlds better than anything they put out for many years leading up to them.

So once again one of the most underrated bands Overkill needs to be given some credit for inspiring other bands to follow the right path. All Hail!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
I'd have to say being a Death Angel fan has been one really interesting roller coaster of a ride. I was there from Day 1 when they were a big zine favorite. Loved the speed metal Ultra Violence then when Frolic came out it took a few spins but songs like Mind Rape, 3rd Floor and eventually Bored sunk in. Act III had songs I loved and songs I hated. Eventually I grew to really like songs like Room with a View and Veil of Deception only to have them vanish soon after.
I have a pretty similar view on these records. I do like Act III quite a bit, but it's half good songs and half boring songs.

Quote:
I remember going to see The Organization live with 50 or so other people and they were great live actually. The the 5-6 Death Angel songs they played were all the heavy stuff so I got back into that and then kinda forgot about them.
That honestly seems like a decent turnout given the time period, and the fact that I'm guessing nobody knew who they were back then.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if Megadeth and other bands had followed a similar path? I guess Testament has to a certain degree but not the pure speed metal path like DA took. I really hope they can influence some of those old school bands to do the same thing. NEED MORE SPEED!
Some of them have done similar things. I think Testament has been one of the most consistent bands since they've come back, but it's only been two albums. Not many bands other than Megadeth has really put out as many "comeback" records as Death Angel. I actually loved United Abominations and Endgame, but the last two have been pretty disappointing. I suppose Exodus has done well, but their albums are too long to keep me entertained. It's been long enough since the last one that hopefully their new one will be good though.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned Overkill. Honestly, I really liked Ironbound. It is a brilliant thrash record. I seem like the only person that can't get into The Electric Age. It's still thrash, and that's good for them, but the songwriting isn't as strong as Ironbound.
10/18 - King Diamond