Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014
Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #51  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitydeth View Post
It's my #1
Well clearly you are wrong because my #1 is the only true #1.

Manks is mostly wrong as well, because there were definitely more than three albums better than Converge's in 2012.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836

16. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata

Now here's one that almost nobody talked about (although many should have). Classify this music? Not a fucking chance. I have no idea what genre to put this in, unless I make up one on the spot such as avant garde prog-death-swing music or something like that. The point is, it doesn't really matter. This album just rocks, and that's all you really need to know. Now I know what some of you may be thinking...DSO is just another gimmick band like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Stolen Babies (not that I feel that way about those bands, but it sounds like something a naysayer might throw out there). Here's the thing, though. I've listened to bands like that, and basically, I agree. There are some things that just don't combine musically - especially in the wrong hands. However, this band is simply AMAZING in their ability to take genres which should in no imaginable way be even mentioned in the same breath and cram them together into a song that's purely, wonderfully entertaining. Case in point - the album's opening track, "Voodoo Mon Amour". Holy shit. Really? Swing music with thick, heavy electric guitar in it? You bet your sweet ass! The trumpets are just as much at home in this music as the bass guitar is - not to mention the operatic vocals. Speaking of which, the following track, "Guerillla Laments" features not only solo soprano stylings, but also a chorus of superb vocals laid neatly over the top of a catchy bossa nova / samba beat that is complete with catcalls and whistles, the likes of which you'd totally expect to hear at Carnaval in Rio (if it weren't for the sick electric guitar that helps carry the primary melody of the song). Yeah, this stuff is weird, but not at all in a bad way. This band perhaps more than any other on the planet is doing something truly unique, and although the combination of styles they attempt have potential disaster written all over them, these incredibly talented cats just keep knocking tater after tater over the fence like it's a fucking home-run derby or something. I've loved this band for several years now, and this album is undoubtedly their current magnum opus. Given the talent on board, however, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they go ahead and crush this album in a few years with another jaw-dropper that's even better.

EDIT: Muse wish they could do something as awesome as "Exit Strategy of a Wrecking Ball" (track 6).
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836

15. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Northeast Ohio represent! This album is only the second full-length from Akron, Ohio's own If These Trees Could Talk, and in the space of a few short years, this band have not only shown that they belong on the international metallic post-rock stage, but that they are in fact one of the best bands out there making this kind of music. Now, I'm fully prepared to be accused of local bias here, and while it's true that I've met these guys and spoken with them on several occasions and found them to be some of the most decent and humble musicians (and people), I'd also like to think that I've proven myself over the years on this forum and elsewhere as a person who can set aside those things and give an honest, unbiased opinion. That opinion is that this album is simply outstanding. That's all there is to it. Not only that, but it's heavy at times - which is something that guitarist Mike Socrates told me to expect when I spoke to him once while they were still writing it, but little did I know they would combine the heavy with the beautiful so well. I saw them again a few months later on tour for this album and showed them my year-end list from 2012, which had their current touring partners Caspian just slightly above them on the list, and they thought I was joking. Then I showed them that the list was actually published on a metal website and they turned red. I told them that they deserve to be ranked up there with the best in the business - especially by virtue of this amazing album - and I'd stand by that statement whether they were from Akron or Australia. If you like post-rock and haven't checked these guys out yet, you need to remedy that unfortunate situation immediately.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836

14. Caspian - Waking Season

Speaking of Caspian... what can I say, except that 2012 was a fantastic year for post-rock and post-metal? (In fact, there are three more albums from those genres still yet to be revealed on this list.) Also speaking of best-of-the-best quality bands, here I am talking about Caspian in that context yet again. Now, it's true that I've loved them since 2005's "You Are the Conductor", but the plain and simple fact is that this band just keeps getting better and better with every song and every album, and thus it is literally impossible for me to ignore them when doling out musical praise. This album is without a doubt their best yet, and it combines so many wonderful aspects that it's hard to choose where to begin. From the exceptional control over pace and dynamics to the expert use (but not overuse) of technology to the expansion of their sonic palette since the last album, Caspian show so much growth and raw talent on "Waking Season" that it's fair to say that I will go out of my way to see their shows and buy their albums every chance I get. Fanboy? Guilty as charged, but when the music is this good it's a piece of cake to justify it. If you doubt the quality, just spin the disc and you'll hear what all the fuss is about. These guys are the real deal. There is simply no better purely guitar-keyboard-drums-based band out there in post-rock today - period.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836

13. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

This is the first time this band has ever appeared on one of my year-end lists, and the reason for that consists of two equally simple facts: (1) I've never really listened to them before, and (2) this album is fucking ridiculously good. Black Breath uses that sweet "buzzsaw" guitar tone created by the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal, which has been popularized by bands such as Entombed and Dismember over the years, and all I can say is that I'm a pure sucker for it. Not only that, but the rhythms and pure power of the songs on this album are just simply outstanding. These guys really know how to make brutally heavy, metal-laden hardcore. They remind me of a band I used to worship called Asschapel (good luck finding their stuff, but if you can, it's as exquisite as this album is). There's not much else to say, other than the fact that this album just blew me away on the first listen and continues to melt my face every time I listen to it. It's a glorious little piece of Hell, is what it is.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-20-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
hb420's Avatar
hb420 hb420 is offline
Bringer of Darkness
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

21. Indesinence - Vessels of Light & Decay

While the previous album (and band) is rather technical in its approach, this one is simply a bone-crusher. However, it goes even deeper than that. In addition to being utterly heavy, there is a definite atmosphere of impending doom that is just palpable when listening to this album. It's just plain HEAVY, and moving at a relatively lethargic pace for a death metal album, it's rather like a slow-moving meat grinder that painfully pulverizes all that enter its gaping maw into so much filthy hamburger. Like other sub-genres of doom, I'm somewhat picky about death / doom albums, but this one really did it for me back in 2012. In fact, I would say it's one of the best death metal albums released that year.
Fantastic pick! Band is untouchable in the death/doom field. Had this is constant rotation in 2012. If you dig this album and haven't heard their debut I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 AM
kalfitegrdan's Avatar
kalfitegrdan kalfitegrdan is offline
THIS IS LHHC!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DeKalb, IL
Posts: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
Wow - I'm shocked that you of all people hadn't listened to Indesinence considering your penchant for death metal and related stuff. Yeah, it's definitely one of the best I heard in 2012.
I've never even heard of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
20. Asphyx - Deathhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
17. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
15. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post
13. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life
My #1, #26, #47 and #13 albums. Nice!

I haven't heard the others. I've been meaning to check out that Diablo Swing Orchestra one. I remember liking their album before that. My only experience with Yakuza was seeing them open for Macabre a few years ago and besides the saxophone parts, it just wasn't my thing.
__________________
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
10/3 Judas Priest
10/4 Deceased
10/18 Satan
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM
mankvill's Avatar
mankvill mankvill is offline
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 21,856
Blog Entries: 19
Your #13 was my #2! O:
__________________
09/18 - Clutch
09/19 - BMTH
09/20 - Fuzz and Fire 2
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
I've been meaning to check out that Diablo Swing Orchestra one. I remember liking their album before that.
Yeah, if you liked "Sing-Along Songs...", then you'll love this new one. It's even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
My only experience with Yakuza was seeing them open for Macabre a few years ago and besides the saxophone parts, it just wasn't my thing.
Admittedly, Yakuza isn't for everybody. Also, they are a bit hard to get into live if you're not very familiar with their catalog because the subtle, psychedelic nuances of their songs are all but lost in the cacophony that is them playing on stage. Bruce screams a lot more than he sings when they play live, and the whole band just basically goes apeshit. The best way to get into them is to listen to "Of Seismic Consequence" with headphones, and no interruptions or expectations. If you're still not feeling them, then they're probably not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Your #13 was my #2! O:
Again, we're basically in agreement, for the most part. Good boy. That Black Breath album is fucking fantastic.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Natrlhi's Avatar
Natrlhi Natrlhi is offline
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 7,836

12. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Hallelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

While some might roll their eyes and think, "yeah, real shocker" on this one, I would ask such person to note that I have never had a GY!BE album on a year-end list before. OK, so I just started making these lists five years ago, and they've been on hiaitus for ten years - ya got me. Still, the point is that I have not always been a fan of theirs. GY!BE takes a lot of patience - at least for me - however, I'm finally starting to realize that the effort is worthwhile. Sometimes their compositions take a great long time to unfold - to wit, I would cite tracks one and three from this album, which clock in at just under twenty minutes each. In fact, the album's two other tracks are basically nothing more than a long interlude and an extended outro track, really. However, the musical control and artistic expression exhibited by these musicians is nearly beyond compare. This long-awaited release from Canadian post-rock giants GY!BE is a glorious return to form, and should not only please existing fans, but also create a few new ones.
__________________
8/1 SummersLaughter
8/10 Boris / Atlas Moth / SubRosa
9/8 Man or Astro-Man?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008