Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014
King Diamond -- Stockholm, Sweden -- July 25th, 2014
Municipal Waste -- Echo Park, CA -- July 25th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thanks for all the comments. It's nice to see this much discussion for albums that have been released for such a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Strange, I only vaguely remember why I didn't like this album. Maybe because it was too orchestraic? I might ought to chalk this one up as one of those albums I didn't spend enough time on. I certainly thought at the time it was weaker than the previous three albums before it.

I don't know if you read where I posted elsewhere, Mono will be recording their next album in the states early next year.
I did see that, and it made me happy. Also, I really didn't spend a lot of time with this album (or their others either), if I'm honest, because in truth it's not every day that I'm feeling in the mood for this type of music, but when I am, they never disappoint, and this album was no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
That Indesinence album sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

I remember being really disappointed with that Nile album personally. I just don't think it had that "wow" factor that Those Whom the Gods Detest had and just came off as bland.

Also, I couldn't really get into that Sylosis album. Too groove metal for me.
Wow - I'm shocked that you of all people hadn't listened to Indesinence considering your penchant for death metal and related stuff. Yeah, it's definitely one of the best I heard in 2012. Also, I can see where you're coming from on Nile. "Sethu" was nowhere near as good as "Detest", but luckily for Nile, that can still mean that "Sethu" was very good (primarily because "Detest" was a masterpiece). I suppose my fixation on the sem-title track may have led to some extra fanboying on my part, but I'll also say that I don't think Nile have ever put out a bad record - just that some are better than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhdeity View Post
Took me 15+ listens but eventually wound up in my Top 10. After seeing a few of the songs you mentioned live I'm glad I kept at it. Incredible drumming...
Glad you kept at it, too. It'd have been a shame to have dismissed this album. I thought it sounded a bit mediocre on first listen, but it grew on me rather quickly. I honestly think it gives "From Mars to Sirius" a real run for its money, and that's not a statement I would make lightly.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 AM

20. Asphyx - Deathhammer

Speaking of awesome death / doom...here is a not-so-surprising entry for the Nifty Fifty. How to put this album in perspective? Well, I'll start by admitting that I do pretty much love everything that has had Martin Van Drunen at the helm, but in the next breath I'll also say that not every song Asphyx has ever done has been a masterpiece in my opinion. They certainly have their fair share of tracks that sound a lot like all of the others, but I guess what I like the most about this album is that it either has enough variety to it that I really love it, or it's just got that perfect balance of punishing heft and catchy groove that makes it impossible for me to ignore it. The production is great, and the balance of highs and lows with the vocals is just enough to let Martin's exquisite vocals ring out but not overpower the ridiculously sweet and crushingly heavy guitar tone that Asphyx has always had. Many bands have made albums which on paper were meant to sound just like this, but no one else can really do it as well as Asphyx does. This is perfect mid-tempo death doom - plain and simple.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:22 AM

19. Horseback - Halfblood

I've been in love with Horseback (which is basically musician / songwriter Jenks Miller of Mount Moriah) since the first album came out. The only thing about the music that I've had a hard time getting on board with is the harsh vocals - because I think they fit the music sometimes, and other times not so much - but overall this is a really minor complaint, and when the music is this good, it's certainly easy to overlook. This is, quite simply, some of the best sludgy stoner / doom that I've heard in recent years. The first half of the album consists of four very good medium-length tracks with some really great atmospherics mixed in with the groovy stuff, but on the second half, Horseback really go off into full psychedelic mode with a three-song suite that's over twenty minutes long - and this is where the listener can truly get lost in space and time. This album - like many others in its genre - is not meant for casual, single-track listening. It is a true album, which must be experienced as a whole in order to fully appreciate. So if you like psychedelic stoner/sludge drone/doom, then I invite you to schedule about forty-five minutes of uninterrupted time, grab the headphones and take a trip with Horseback. You'll be glad you did.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Your #20 for 2012 was my #3 O:
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse
Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

18. Yakuza - Beyul

Speaking of psychedelic goodness...Chicago's own Bruce Lamont enters The Nat's 2012 countdown at #18 with his bandmates in Yakuza (one of his many projects) with this sublime avant-garde collection of songs. Truth be told, I think I preferred this album's predecessor just a bit over this one, but that's not really a major criticism of "Beyul" at all. This album has just as much heavy, trippy goodness as "Seismic", but I just like the way the latter album fits together as a whole a bit more than the former. I still marvel at the way Bruce's saxophone work fits so seamlessly into this band's music, and his vocals are a key part of every project he participates in. In addition, the band as a whole are very good at delivering songs which are well-crafted and exhibit a great deal of artistic control over pace and tone, dynamics and atmosphere. The songs soar and swoop and climb and stall and dive like a great, lazy dragon in the sky patrolling its territory. Speaking of monsters, the track at the middle of the album, a nearly ten-minute beast called "Fire Temple and Beyond", is definitely my favorite, but the entire album is fantastic from start to finish.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Your #20 for 2012 was my #3 O:
Not bad. I listened to something like 125 albums in 2012, so #20 is really a great spot on my list. I loved the album, but I liked 19 others just a bit more. Something tells me you'll probably hate a few of the ones I ranked higher than "Deathhammer", but that's why these lists / threads are so much fun. I look forward to the drama.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM

17. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

This review will be short, because frankly this album has gotten so much praise it doesn't really need any more from somebody like me. All I'll say is that sometimes I almost hate how much I end up liking this band's stuff, because they have such a huge fan base and everybody worships them, but it's at those times that I also have to admit that their stuff is impossible to ignore. Not only that, but I also have to admit that this is probably one of their best albums. It's just so damned good. Also, if you haven't seen this band live, you're really missing out. I saw them for my second time on tour for this album, and they knocked my socks off just like the first time when I saw them for "No Heroes". The Nat's favorite track: "Sadness Comes Home".

TL/DR: I almost hate that I love this album so much, but there you have it.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-20-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Your #17 is my #4!
07/31 - Warped
08/01 - Cannabis Corpse

Last edited by mankvill; 12-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM
We're dying on the inside

Horseback and Converge were both prominent on my list last year. Good man.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM
ice cream and metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Your #17 is my #3!
It's my #1