Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, ON -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014
Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Well Van Halen and High On Fire didn't make the suck or just OK list. That's a good sign.
Well I didn't even listen to Van Halen.

Based on that comment, you now know High on Fire is in the top 25 somewhere (shocker!).
Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Here is the primary reason I do these lists - giving well-deserved praise to the albums I loved from each year. So 2012 was another great year, despite getting off to a somewhat slow start. Here are the top 25, in my not-so-humble opinion:

25. Gojira - L-'Enfant Sauvage

I don't think nearly enough noise was made about this album at all in 2012. Frankly, I think it's one of Gojira's best, if for no other reason than it's consistent and there's really not a track on it that makes me want to hit the "skip" button. It was during the tour cycle for this album that I saw Gojira perform live for the first time as well, and they just slayed. Great band with a unique and punishing sound, and as far as I'm concerned this is some of their best work (although their entire catalog is basically awesome). The first three tracks are pure gold, but my favorite on the album has to be "The Gift of Guilt".
Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 PM

24. Nile - At the Gate of Sethu

I have a copy of this album in my car, and it has been calling my name for several weeks but I haven't thrown it in (mainly because I've been listening to 2013 stuff trying to get ready for this year's list, which should be coming out on New Year's Eve 2014). Anyway, I threw it on while typing this so I could give a fresh comment. My comment is that I have no idea how I could have ignored this album since last year - it's so good. It's not quite as awesome as its predecessor, but that's not necessarily a major detraction. It's still as heavy and fast and utterly brutal as a Nile album should be, and there are several tracks that are just ridiculously good, such as "...Supreme Humanism...", "...Eternal Molestation..." and especially the semi-title track " The Gods Who Light Up the Sky at the Gate of Sethu", which has one of Nile's best riffs ever in the very beginning of it. I saw these guys on tour for this album as well, and they fucking tore my face off. Great album.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 PM

23. Mono - For My Parents

...and for a complete change of pace from the previous album, I give you another masterpiece from the almighty Mono. Like all of their other albums, this one is majestic and sweeping and just...all-consuming. It's nearly impossible not to get swept up in this music, it's so powerful and beautiful. I saw these folks live about five or six years ago (with High on Fire, of all bands ) and absolutely loved them, and then I missed them on tour a few months back and was really disappointed. Their control of tempo and volume and tone is just stunning. They are one of post-rock's most skilled bands, to be sure. I find it very difficult to rank their albums against one another because they're all quite similar and all very good, but I'd venture to say that this is one of their best.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:02 PM

22. Sylosis - Monolith

I had been (unintentionally) ignoring this technical death metal outfit from Reading, Berkshire, UK for several years until hearing this album. After listening to about five minutes' worth, I finally realized that I had been missing out on a great band. Other than throwing in a nice bit of thrash now and then, which certainly isn't a new idea, these guys really don't blaze any new ground in the world of death metal (which can be a rather stale sub-genre these days), but somehow their near-perfect combination of tone and atmospherics, joined with excellent musicianship, great song structure and maybe a few other intangible ingredients that I just can't seem to put my finger on right now add up to a very compelling sound. I certainly won't be overlooking Sylosis any longer.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrlhi View Post

22. Sylosis - Monolith

I had been (unintentionally) ignoring this technical death metal outfit from Reading, Berkshire, UK for several years until hearing this album. After listening to about five minutes' worth, I finally realized that I had been missing out on a great band. Other than throwing in a nice bit of thrash now and then, which certainly isn't a new idea, these guys really don't blaze any new ground in the world of death metal (which can be a rather stale sub-genre these days), but somehow their near-perfect combination of tone and atmospherics, joined with excellent musicianship, great song structure and maybe a few other intangible ingredients that I just can't seem to put my finger on right now add up to a very compelling sound. I certainly won't be overlooking Sylosis any longer.
Glad to see this record getting some love, made my top 5 last year and I felt it was wildly under-appreciated. I also slept on them for years but decided to finally check them out because they had an opening slot on Lamb of God's tour and boy I'm glad that I did, these guys fucking slay.
1/25 August Burns Red
1/31 Machine Head

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM

21. Indesinence - Vessels of Light & Decay

While the previous album (and band) is rather technical in its approach, this one is simply a bone-crusher. However, it goes even deeper than that. In addition to being utterly heavy, there is a definite atmosphere of impending doom that is just palpable when listening to this album. It's just plain HEAVY, and moving at a relatively lethargic pace for a death metal album, it's rather like a slow-moving meat grinder that painfully pulverizes all that enter its gaping maw into so much filthy hamburger. Like other sub-genres of doom, I'm somewhat picky about death / doom albums, but this one really did it for me back in 2012. In fact, I would say it's one of the best death metal albums released that year.

Last edited by Natrlhi; 12-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Mono - For My Parents[/u][/b][/size][/center]

...and for a complete change of pace from the previous album, I give you another masterpiece from the almighty Mono. Like all of their other albums, this one is majestic and sweeping and just...all-consuming. It's nearly impossible not to get swept up in this music, it's so powerful and beautiful. I saw these folks live about five or six years ago (with High on Fire, of all bands ) and absolutely loved them, and then I missed them on tour a few months back and was really disappointed. Their control of tempo and volume and tone is just stunning. They are one of post-rock's most skilled bands, to be sure. I find it very difficult to rank their albums against one another because they're all quite similar and all very good, but I'd venture to say that this is one of their best.
Strange, I only vaguely remember why I didn't like this album. Maybe because it was too orchestraic? I might ought to chalk this one up as one of those albums I didn't spend enough time on. I certainly thought at the time it was weaker than the previous three albums before it.

I don't know if you read where I posted elsewhere, Mono will be recording their next album in the states early next year.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

That Indesinence album sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

I remember being really disappointed with that Nile album personally. I just don't think it had that "wow" factor that Those Whom the Gods Detest had and just came off as bland.

Also, I couldn't really get into that Sylosis album. Too groove metal for me.
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Old 12-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Headbanger

Quote:
Here is the primary reason I do these lists - giving well-deserved praise to the albums I loved from each year. So 2012 was another great year, despite getting off to a somewhat slow start. Here are the top 25, in my not-so-humble opinion:

25. Gojira - L-'Enfant Sauvage

I don't think nearly enough noise was made about this album at all in 2012. Frankly, I think it's one of Gojira's best, if for no other reason than it's consistent and there's really not a track on it that makes me want to hit the "skip" button. It was during the tour cycle for this album that I saw Gojira perform live for the first time as well, and they just slayed. Great band with a unique and punishing sound, and as far as I'm concerned this is some of their best work (although their entire catalog is basically awesome). The first three tracks are pure gold, but my favorite on the album has to be "The Gift of Guilt".
Took me 15+ listens but eventually wound up in my Top 10. After seeing a few of the songs you mentioned live I'm glad I kept at it. Incredible drumming...