Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Demi Lovato - Heart Attack

Put simply - I don't think Demi Lovato can sing. I think she tries way too hard on this track and I think the lyrics are just cringe-worthy. It's infectious but for all the wrong reasons. Also, she has the lyric "play him like a Kindle" which implies Kindles are mainly for videogames instead of books which is NOT OKAY >:I Selena Gomez does everything Demi wishes she could do, and she does it a million times better.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball

Miley Cyrus makes (well...made) really good up-tempo songs. Party In The USA is awesome. But this is just overdramatic, "look at me, I can be serious when I want to" drek. I think this song got so popular because of when it was released and the "drama" surrounding the meaning behind the (weak-ass) lyrics. Miley needs to grow her hair back and put on a pair of cowboy boots and leave this part of her career behind her.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Pitbull feat. Ke$ha - Timber

This song is actually okay aside from...well, Pitbull and Ke$ha. Whoever thought it would be a good idea for Ke$ha to vocalize/yodel for half the song should be shot in the face. And Pitbull has basically been making the exact same types of rap for like 6 years now. Yawn. Country and pop music should be left to T-Swizzle and T-Swizzle alone.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Capital Cities - Safe and Sound

The first time I heard this song, I was really confused. I wasn't sure if it was a real song or just like an ad for a bank or something? Those synth horns are TERRIBLE. It sounds like the main inspiration for this song came from the Wave Race 64 soundtracks. Weak vocals too just totally kill this. If you want Michael Buble mixed with LMFAO, then I'm sure this is right up your alley.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Maroon 5 - Love Somebody

It's a shame that the band that wrote This Love and Harder To Breathe turned into the Adam Levine Show and devolved into terrible singing with cookie-cutter music behind it. Maroon 5 found a shitty formula and they're going to stick with it. I guess it just goes to show that if you have a cute frontman, it doesn't really what kinda music you make - just make it infectious and plaster his goofy face everywhere and make seventy million dollars.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Florida Georgia Line - Cruise

You just really shouldn't overuse autotune on some voices. Like I said before - country mixed with pop/hip-hop or whatever rarely works. It's sad that Nelly's part in this song adds virtually nothing to it but is far and away the best part...and it's not even really that good. Blatant try to make a marketable "summer song" and it just came across as a failed experiment for everyone outside of their target audience.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM

Pink feat. Nate Ruess - Just Give Me A Reason

Pink is not a strong vocalist at all, so whoever told her she is for the past couple of years needs to stop it. The part where she and Nate Ruess from fun go back and forth just kinda reminds me of that SNL sketch with Jennifer Lopez and Mango, going back and forth trying to outdo each other. And it's a shame, because fun makes good pop songs! Just...not with Pink. She just sounds like a terrible singer that thinks she sounds like Christina Aguileria.

Pink's "True Love" is another really REALLY bad song from this year, but this one was overplayed way too much.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM

Rihanna - Stay

WHAT HAPPENED TO RIHANNA?

She went from a hit-making machine, making one of the best songs of the 00's with Umbrella, but the '10s have not been kind to her. Each time she hits those long, sustained notes on this song, I just cringe because she sounds horrible. Thank God in this song, half of it is by someone who can sing better than Rihanna, because it's a welcome relief. It's just overall a boring song and makes me wish she would just work exclusively with Jay-Z again and make some real pop songs again.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Katy Perry - Unconditionally

Congratulations to Katy Perry for releasing the worst pop song of the year two years in a row! Despite being the hottest woman in American entertainment, she still cannot sing at all. Autotune can't even help her - and I think she is trying to prove something by not using it so much which is just making things that much worse.

Since she released Firework in 2010, she has tried to recreate the mammoth success of that song but basically re-recording it and re-releasing it under different names. "The One That Got Away," "Part of Me," "Wide Awake." Whatever you want to call it, Katy thinks making melodramatic, "BE STRONG!" songs are better than upbeat, fun party songs which she actually does halfway decent. What I wouldn't give for another "Last Friday Night" or "California Gurls."

Katy Perry is the epitome of being afraid to branch out from safe sounds and until she does, she'll only be a pretty face put to supremely disappointing music.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Rats off to ya

Florida Georgia Line is some of the lamest shit I've ever heard.