Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

JohnTheDrummer's Top 5's of 2013 #PANTERA Thread of 2013

Since I am soooo bad at making big lists and usually lose interest after a few posts, I figured I'd make multiple small lists. These won't be TOP 5 IN ORDER, but just my Top 5 favorite's in the following catagories....

Top 5 Album Releases of 2013
Top ? Album Let Downs of 2013
Top 5 Albums that were released in a different year that I first heard this year
Top 5 Live Bands of 2013
Top 5 Shows I Played in 2013

And maybe a couple more if I want to.....

I'll start this whenever I decide to

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com

Last edited by John The Drummer; 12-21-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: pantera
Old 12-18-2013, 12:25 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post

I'll start this whenever I decide to
Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Changed my "Biggest Let Down" album list to the number of "?". I don't think I've listened to enough to even have 5 since I tend to buy music that I am comfortable with... but I can think of 2 right off the top of my had

And Datjazz... I'll try to start tonight

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM
N00B

Quote:

And Datjazz... I'll try to start tonight
Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

LETS GIT THIS STARTED!!!!

As I have posted on here numerous times, I am not the kind of person that really digs too deep with bands. I tend to stick to bands I am comfortable with or bands that are referred to me from trustworthy sources, so I do not have a HUGE knowledge of every underground Black Metal/Thrash/Folk/etc band that releases an EP in only a 7" format limited to 24 copies... plus I don't have much free time to really explore the vast amount of amazing bands available to me. That being said, let us start off with.....

TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2013
***these are not in any certain order, just the albums that stood out to me the most***

1. Finntroll - Blodsvept

What better way of introducing a top 5 list than to start off with one of my favorite Folk Metal albums of the year, Blodsvept by Finntroll! It's definitely not an album for every body, and takes a lighter and MUCH more fun tone than their prior release, Nifelvind did. Blodsvept has that goofy Finntroll sound that you either love or hate, but also their Dark Trollish sound that they are known for. I wasn't sure if I would like this album, but it took me by surprise and got me doin some jigs in my van while driving home from work! It's too bad they didn't make my top 5 LIVE bands list.... they just missed out to a band that opened for them........ (OMG A CLUE). Anyway, for those of you into FUN music and goofy stuff, check this album out, or don't.... either way, I HIGHLY enjoyed it!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GclKDei5hHU

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-18-2013, 05:42 PM

2. Inquinok - Dimension of I

A band I am not expecting a lot... or any for that matter... of you to know. Inquinok is a Symphonic Black Metal band from here in Seattle, WA, and their third full length release, Dimension of I is without a doubt their strongest release to date! Calling this album "Emperor Worship" is not a stretch at all as you can hear the melodies and drum beats and vocal patterns that Ihsahn would definitely come up with. The first time I heard this album I was stunned, simply stunned. It sounds natural and fluent, yet progressive and energetic at the same time! This album is a great album to check out if you are a fan Emperor, (good) Dimmu Borgir, and other Symphonic Norwegian Black Metal bands. It's surprising this album was recorded by only 2 guys (with a guest guitarist at times) as it sounds HUGE and epic.

Check it out!
Engines Defined - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJl1EJnU55E
Shrouded In Chaos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfj8MFigjM (TOTAL Emperor)

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM
N00B

Quote:
2. Inquinok - Dimension of I

A band I am not expecting a lot... or any for that matter... of you to know. Inquinok is a Symphonic Black Metal band from here in Seattle, WA, and their third full length release, Dimension of I is without a doubt their strongest release to date! Calling this album "Emperor Worship" is not a stretch at all as you can hear the melodies and drum beats and vocal patterns that Ihsahn would definitely come up with. The first time I heard this album I was stunned, simply stunned. It sounds natural and fluent, yet progressive and energetic at the same time! This album is a great album to check out if you are a fan Emperor, (good) Dimmu Borgir, and other Symphonic Norwegian Black Metal bands. It's surprising this album was recorded by only 2 guys (with a guest guitarist at times) as it sounds HUGE and epic.

Check it out!
Engines Defined - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJl1EJnU55E
Shrouded In Chaos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMfj8MFigjM (TOTAL Emperor)
This is why I love end of the year lists. It shows me stuff I missed/never heard about. Will check this out soon.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 PM

3. Sodom - Epitome of Torture

Would it be too much if I say this is the best Thrash Metal album of the last few years? Well, probably, but as for 2013, this album just took it over. I never was a huge fan of Sodom, I loved Agent Orange (honestly though, how can't you?), and was a fair weather fan of them when I'd hear something good, but Epitome of Torture made me WANT to get into the rest of their catalog. The vocal patterns, the melodies, they energy, it's all here in a perfect little German snack for everyone to enjoy! There are even some elements on this album that may make non-Thrash metal fans enjoy this album. To sum this up, I was not expecting much at all, I strongly felt they were well past their prime, but this album lit a fire under their arses and put them back on the Thrash Titan throne, right where they belong!

Check it out!
Into the Skies of War - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsO80QqAEtA
Epitome of Torture - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOagEbDpaPE

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM

4. Vreid - Welcome Farewell

I was thinking of calling it a night.... but fuck that hippie shit, lets keep the ball rolling with my number four (and remember, not in any order) album of the year, Welcome Farewell by Sognametal titans, VREID! For those that do not know, Vreid is the post-Windir band of Steingrim, Sture, Hvall and Strom (the main guys of Windir, sans Valfar, RIP) and their latest album shows A LOT of maturity in their writing. It definitely isn't as energetic as, say, Kraft or I Krig, but in my eyes can definitely be put side by side with those two and still sound great! It has that (IMO) more toned down feeling that V had, but with a little more energy. I honestly would have put this one out after Milorg if I were writing the music and could control time, but I can't . This may not be my most favorite album by them, but it stood out among all the other releases of this year! Now hopefully they bring the Sogna Brigade Tour to the States

Check it out!
The Reap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4Z_LjtZLw
Welcome Farewell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzu06fwevY

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 PM

5. Satyricon - Satyricon

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few months, then you should know that Satyricon's latest release, nicely titled Satyricon, is one of my most favorite albums to be released this year... and my favorite release that this band has put out in their whole history. YES, I said it, I rate this album above the likes of Nemesis Divina & Dark Medieval Times . But what exactly is it that makes me love this album so much? Is it Frost's drumming? No. The lyrical content!? Nope! Then what is it!? The reason I love this album is just because of how different it is. Satyricon (the band) is a wild ride when it comes to what genre they play. They started off Black Metal, then turned into a more Black 'n' Roll-ish band, with other things thrown in. Now, I wasn't sure how much I'd like this album, since I thought Age of Nero was quite weak, but this album makes Age of Nero look like it should have been released as a demo... or something . This album springs from Melodic (almost on the cusp of classic rock at times) Black Metal, to just very rockin' tunes, to even a song with clean vocals in it (that everyone seems to hate, yet I ADORE). This album sure isn't for everyone, but if you go into it with an open mind then you may find something that you REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoy.

Check it out!
Phoenix - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6PiB4O1tzM
Tro Og Kraft - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaUoPKYOD-8
Necrohaven - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mA1Pn3VdRI

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com