Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Kalfitegrdan's 2013 in Review

I'm probably going to do whatever I have time for or get around to, but I want to do top 10 EPs and top 50 albums since so many good albums came out this year.

Anyway, I'm going to start it off...
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

10.) Axeslasher - Anthology of Terror, Vol. 1

I first heard of these Denver locals after seeing this shirt for sale online and knew I had to check them out. Axeslasher takes an obvious influence from bands such as Ghoul and Frightmare with their death/thrash sound and horror themed lyrics. It can get a bit monotonous after a bit, but still a damn good start for this band. Also, they end the EP with a Kreayshawn cover and that's hilarious.

Woodland Tortuary
Gucci Gucci

9.) Young and in the Way/Withdrawal split

I'm just going to include this with the EPs. This split features two of the most visceral tracks that Young and In the Way have ever released. The tracks border on straight up raw black metal as opposed to their usual blackened crust sound. The last half of the track "Vaticide" is probably the prime example of where their crust influence bleeds through the black metal assault. On the flip side of the split is a trio of pretty standard hardcore tracks from Withdrawal. While not nearly as intense as the YAITW side, Withdrawal still holds their own. Withdrawal bring their own brand of pissed off, thrashy hardcore with vocals that remind me of Leviathan-era Mastodon.

Young and in the Way - Vaticide
Withdrawal - Human Garbage Existence Disease

8.) Grayceon - Pearl and the End of Days

A very awesome blend of melodic cello music, sludgy riffs and faster (almost thrashy?) parts. The vocals of Jackie Perez Gratz are almost haunting at times and compliment the cello part so well. In my opinion, these are probably two of the best songs that Grayceon have ever recorded.

Pearl

7.) Black Tusk - Tend No Wounds

As always Black Tusk delivers the groovy, sludge riffs tinged with a faster, almost hardcore, edge. This might be my favorite work from them yet. Really summoning their inner-Kylesa with this one. "The Weak and the Wise" is a damn near perfect song.

The Weak and the Wise
Truth Untold

6.) Ghoul - Intermediate Level Hard-Core

A covers EP focusing on "lesser known" '80s hardcore punk. Ghoul keeps pretty true to the original arrangements while still maintaining their death metal sound which makes for an insanely entertaining listen. The highlight of this EP is definitely the cover of Blow Up the Embassy by one of my favorite hardcore bands, Fearless Iranians From Hell.

Americanized
Can't find any other songs on Youtube.

Hopefully I'll throw the rest up when I wake up if I have time.
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

This seemed like an unusually strong year for EPs.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Buahahahahaha

I listened to like 4 EPs
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post

7.) Black Tusk - Tend No Wounds

As always Black Tusk delivers the groovy, sludge riffs tinged with a faster, almost hardcore, edge. This might be my favorite work from them yet. Really summoning their inner-Kylesa with this one. "The Weak and the Wise" is a damn near perfect song.

The Weak and the Wise
Truth Untold
Whoa. I was not aware that this existed. I liked both those tracks quite a bit. Gotta get on that one.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Bout to show off a huge regional bias with these next few.

5.) Enabler - Flies

Enabler seems to slowly be moving away from their metal infused hardcore sound that was apparent on "All Hail the Void" to the more straight up crust punk sound mixed with an almost emotive hardcore (a la Defeater) of this EP (and the last). Even if I don't like the change in direction as much, I still can't deny that no matter what genre they're playing, they can still make a damn good record. The EP ends with a damn impressive cover of Sepultura's "Arise" that is Enabler perfectly crafting the song to their sound.

Enabler - Arise
Only song I could find on Youtube.

4.) Harm's Way - Blinded

The last time I saw Harm's Way, the vocalist (imagine a gigantic, buff, behemoth of a man) was wearing an Entombed back patch on a jean jacket. That's pretty much exactly what this EP sounds like. Tough guy hardcore played with HM-2s to emulate Swedish death metal. Some of the heaviest hardcore you'll ever hear.

Frontal Lobe
Mind Control

3.) Nucleus - The Colony

Death metal done in the vein of Demilich, Obituary or Incantation with a sci-fi twist featuring MetalSetlists' own GarageMetal268. If you want some quality Old School Death Metal then look no further. "Biopsy" is definitely in the running for "Best Death Metal Song of the Year."

Biopsy
Echoes From the Abyss

2.) Enabler - Shift of Redemption

The first of two EPs by Enabler this year and the more melodic of the two. It sounds like Enabler were channeling some post-hardcore influence when writing this.

Shift of Redemption
Live Low/Sacrifice (A good quality live version since Youtube didn't have anything better.)

1.) Smash Potater - In Buffet There Is No Law

Smash Potater top my EP list for the second year in a row. This time with a slightly different approach to the almost crossover sound of their last EP. This EP takes an almost death metal approach to thrash. The song "Dude, I'm Wearing My Glasses!!!" wins audio sample of the century as well. Also, all of you take a minute to appreciate the beauty of that artwork.

Dude, I'm Wearing My Glasses!!!
Necro-nom-icon
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast

Last edited by kalfitegrdan; 12-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Now on to full lengths...

50.) Extermination Dismemberment - Serial Urbicide

This Belarussian slam death outfit makes some competent slam with the gimmick (that totally worked) of ridiculous bass drops. Whether it be the sheer number of bass drops in one song or the long and drawn out comedic bass drops, Extermination Dismemberment has them. It's not a bad album musically, but the comedy from the bass drops gives it an extra depth of entertainment that keeps me coming back to this album.

Serial Urbicide
Devastation Squad

49.) Windhand - Soma

With the soaring melodic vocals of vocalist Dorthia Cottrell and the heavy, sludgy doom riffs this album sounds like a cross between Morne and Pallbearer. This is one of those albums best enjoyed by yourself in a dark room, very introspective. If I had to give this album any criticism, it'd be the length of the last song, "Boleskine." Very rarely is a song over twenty minutes going to keep me enthralled and this is no exception.

Orchard
Woodbine

48.) Mourning Cloak - No Visible Light

Crushing sludgy doom with more than a little black metal influence. I keep seeing this labeled as funeral doom around the internet, but I'd it's far less suffocating than your average funeral doom release. Funeral Doom Lite, if you
will. The riff around the 2:00 mark of "Erosion" might be one of the best doom riffs of the year.

Sonofabitch! No YT links. Fuck it. Here's a link to their Bandcamp

47.) Cathedral - The Last Spire

Okay, I'm going to be honest, I'm not all too familiar with Cathedral, but if The Last Spire is any indication of their overall sound, then I'm going to have to go check out the rest of their discography. This is how I want traditional doom to sound, heavy and catchy. The intro track "Entrance to Hell" serves as an eerie opener to the album that takes you back to the days of the Black Plague where carts would come nightly to pick up the day's dead while the drivers chanted, "Bring out your dead!" which segues perfectly in the epic that is "Pallbearer."

Tower of Silence
Since I couldn't find YT links for "Pallbearer" or "Cathedral of the Damned," here's Infestation of Grey Death

46.) Acranius - When Mutation Becomes Homicidal

Acranius takes all the best parts of slam, hardcore and deathcore and pack them all into this ultra brutal release. If any of the aforementioned genres are your thing, then this album is an absolute must. I'm going to finish this review with an interesting quote from a review on MA referring to the genre-bending of Acranius: "it makes the title of the album seem to make a lot more sense being that they really did pull off an absolutely GENIUS mutation that ended up becoming "homicidal: in the means of the music being brutally badass."

Life Sustainment to Continue Mutilation
Majesty
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 AM
...the dead are among us!

I've gotta check out those Enabler EPs, great band.

Killer list so far.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post

Killer list so far.
Definitely do. Both are different than All Hail the Void, but still killer all the same.

Thanks, dude!
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Seconded.