Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Just got back from the Hobbit, and this is what I think of it: MOVIE OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR!

I have made up my mind that Legolas is the best character in the history of movies (IMO), he and Tauriel both had some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, and I love seeing more duel-wield blade action from him.
I totally agree...and since it's the only movie I've seen in theaters this year, I doubly agree!

Too bad Legolas isn't in the Hobbit books at all, and Tauriel is simply is a made-up character out of thin air. All is forgiven though, that movie rocked. Honestly, I didn't want it to end, I wished it was 7 hours long, I could have pulled it off no sweat.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
I totally agree...and since it's the only movie I've seen in theaters this year, I doubly agree!

Too bad Legolas isn't in the Hobbit books at all, and Tauriel is simply is a made-up character out of thin air. All is forgiven though, that movie rocked. Honestly, I didn't want it to end, I wished it was 7 hours long, I could have pulled it off no sweat.
I don't get the people that are hating on Tauriel (not saying you are), I mean if you think about it she could have easily just been one of the wood-elves not named in the book.Legolas was obviously added in to attract more appeal, but who cares, he could of also easily been at Mirkwood when Bilbo was there, Tolkien just didn't name him, and I think it's an awesome chance for another great LOTR character to make a return.And what and ending! Everybody in the theater said 'No' almost at the same time right before it did.

The one thing I hate though is the people out there who are saying 'To much was changed from the books'.WHO FREAKIN' CARES! It is a book aimed for children, they gotta change it up some to make it to appeal to everyone.Most people who don't like the movies are purists that want them EXACTLY like the books, and since they are somewhat different they just choose to not like them, and not even acknowledge that some of the changes and additions are actually good.

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 12-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM

I have to agree again and not be so purist about all this, I never was though even with LOTR. Especially because I don't remember the book much, I'm not a good reader and I don't ever remember any book because I take 6 months to finish a small book, I'm a slow ass.

Those types of endings are apparently not Peter Jackson's thing, but I'm glad it ended like that even though I really REALLY don't want to wait another year to finish this story.

Before I went to the theater last night I spent 3 hours watching the first one again to refresh my memory, since I hadn't seen it since I went last year. Boy I'm glad I did that...transitioning seamlessly from 1st to 2nd was a good idea and really helped me jump right in.

I could go on and on blathering about LOTR and Hobbit, as long as someone wants to go on about with me, I'm game.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
I have to agree again and not be so purist about all this, I never was though even with LOTR. Especially because I don't remember the book much, I'm not a good reader and I don't ever remember any book because I take 6 months to finish a small book, I'm a slow ass.

Those types of endings are apparently not Peter Jackson's thing, but I'm glad it ended like that even though I really REALLY don't want to wait another year to finish this story.

Before I went to the theater last night I spent 3 hours watching the first one again to refresh my memory, since I hadn't seen it since I went last year. Boy I'm glad I did that...transitioning seamlessly from 1st to 2nd was a good idea and really helped me jump right in.

I could go on and on blathering about LOTR and Hobbit, as long as someone wants to go on about with me, I'm game.
I'm with you there, I could go on forever talking about middle-earth.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Watched "Killing Season" a second time to give it another chance.

It still fucking sucks.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:07 PM
with his arms outstretched

The Hobbit ending: talk about blue-balls!

I'll discuss more when I get home.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm can't believe I'm going to say this and I'm probably in the minority but I didn't like the new Hobbit as much as the first one.

What I did like; the action was great. Legolas and Tauriel's fight scenes were great. They were really the only times I even noticed the 3D. I didn't mind Tauriel at all. The love triangle thing could have an interesting ending considering which Dwarves die (in the book anyway). And the last part with Smaug was great. I really liked how they made his voice menacing but also understandable. He was just a cool, well-done character.

What I didn't like; the added in bits seemed more added in this time. They really could've cut, well, everything with Sauron and the Orcs and made it two movies instead of three. I'm not hating on the fact that they added so much, it was just to obvious to me. I remember Beorn having a much larger role in the book. His inclusion seemed pointless, even more pointless than Tom Bambadil. But, I'm sure a badass skin-changer will have a bigger part in the third movie. And I don't remember the book too well but Thorin got pretty dark a few times and I can't remember that from the book.

And then there's that ending, which was just a piss-off. It'll be really interesting to see how the third movie pans out since I remember Smaugs attack being in the last few chapters of the books. But there's a lot of other loose ends to tie-up. Just none of them are in the books.

I think the biggest reason that I didn't like it as much was that I had nine years of anticipation for the first one and only a year for this one. And my expectations were so high for this one that I was bound to be disappointed. Maybe disappointed isn't the word, because I still really enjoyed it. And the lack of Frodo really hurt it.

I'll give it an eight out of ten.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM

It's hard to say what was useful or not in this film to the development of the story, because the third one has yet to be released and we don't know which way they are going. It drives me bat shit that they bumped the release date from July back to December 2014 again, this one year thing is ludicrous. For LOTR, ok maybe, but this is a different model and make, and I feel the overall interest and bombast for this one is slightly lower, so let's just get on with it already.

It's not the greatest movie on god's green earth and never will be, but I'm not going to act all nutty and pretend like some of the plots are the greatest offense mankind has ever seen.

The dark/sinister parts always resonate with me, I connect with them instantly.

Could I have done without some parts, sure. Do I think the LOTR films so far are better...by far yes. But it's ok, I'm enjoying the new scenery, the new adaptations, the new characters. I'm treating these films as a supplement to the LOTR movies...simply there to add some depth. Almost like a good opening band would be at a concert, it's there to add something to the main event.

Last edited by Maideneer; 12-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 AM

Well I heard that the third movie will be mostly Gandalf's story, about what all happened when he left the company in the first movie and the this one (the parts that weren't shown anyway).Beorn will almost definitely be in the next one, he is in the battle of the five armies if I remember correctly.I loved the scenes with Sauron personally, just because it's rare you get to actually see him, and I am hyped for the battle of the five armies.I also heard that the end of the movie will be right before the Fellowship.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:35 PM

I'd like to see Aragorn in the next movie but I think he'd just have been a child at the time of the Hobbit.

The more I think about it the new one seemed like nothing more than a two and a half hour set-up for the next movie.

I did really like the first song in the credits. Any ideas what it's called?

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-14-2013 at 04:39 PM.