Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I'm sure there's some processing going on with Ozzy's vocals at the soundboard, but they sure do let a lot of cracks and lyrical flubs slip by if the "effects" are as heavy as some people think they are. Honestly, I think they probably just give him some standard EQ, reverb, a pinch of autotune and echo when the songs call for it. Anything more than that, and it would be legitimately noticeable.
Ozzy sounds better now than he did in the 80s early 90s. I don't think his voice got better, and face it, technology drastically improved. Any opinions on the quality of his voice can be left to the individual. As long as you enjoy the show. I still went, and I would go again. kudos to all of the older guys still going out and touring.

Last edited by dwils65; 12-11-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

It sounds better than it did 5-6 years ago, sure. But before that? Nah. He sounds great for his age. His voice still cracks or goes flat, and there are plenty of mistakes etc.

To me he just sounds "right" at the moment. He's singing well, but his voice is showing its age. He's definitely not sounding better than he did decades ago. And that's fine, the shows are great, and the band are heavy as fuck. Can't wait to see them again next week.

I am certainly willing to believe some technological enhancement has been used on his hair though.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-13-2013, 05:25 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
He sounds great for his age.
I disagree with this statement. Robert Plant sounds great for his age. Ronnie James Dio sounded great for his age. Rob Halford sounds great for his age. Bruce Dickinson sounds great for his age (although he is a bit younger than the rest of the singers I mentioned here).

Ozzy sounds just average for his age.

At least that was the case when I saw him back in August.

Granted, Ozzy does sound better in 2013 than, say, 2003. (Link is NSFW as it contains titties. )

Last edited by leglessmoof; 12-13-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglessmoof View Post
Robert Plant sounds great for his age.
They couldn't even make him sound good by spending five years trying to get the LZ reunion recording right!

But anyway, it all depends on your reference point. If the only time you've seen Priest in recent years was the 2005 tour, then you're not going to agree Halford sounds great for his age, because he sounded absolutely horrible on that tour. But if you saw them on the tour after that, you know he got better.

Similarly it depends on how many reference points you have. Ozzy, I saw him in '07 and he sounded terrible. 2011 and he sounded terrible.

But in 2012 great, and 2013 #1 great. If 2013 #2 and 2014 also end up being great, then I'm sticking with those reference points as they're both more recent, and greater in number.

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 AM
N00B

I can agree with you there. Ozzy definitely sounds better in 2013 than he has since at least 2005, perhaps even earlier.

I just wouldn't say he sounds "great", not even for his age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
They couldn't even make [Robert Plant] sound good by spending five years trying to get the LZ reunion recording right!
I thought the reunion show sounded good... even listening to the audience recording before the official version was released. Yes, Robert Plant has lost some of his vocal range, so couldn't sing the songs exactly as they were written. But that's not the same as having your voice crack and singing off-key.

Last edited by leglessmoof; 12-13-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
I'll never see them again no matter what! I can't stand the way Ozzy acts on stage. He looks like a goofy fool the way he hobbles around and has the audience jump. And he has them do it at times that don't even make sense. This is a case where I'd actually rather see less energy on stage by him. And how many fucking times does he need to tell the audience to go crazy and make some noise? There's nothing wrong with the frontman being a bit excited and getting the audience going, but he way overdoes it and looks like a retard doing it.
I'm surprised you even have time for Black Sabbath. Shouldn't you still be shoving Queensryche down our throats?

Yeah, Ozzy's goofy, but I think most people would agree it's an enjoyable, lovable sort of goofy. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's a modern scientific marvel that guy is alive, let alone able to stand up, let alone able to breathe, let alone even being able to speak or sing. Yet, he gets up there on stage, and it looks like he has an amazing god damn time. When I saw Sabbath in the summer it was obvious he can't sing like he used to. I mean, that's just a given. And it's obvious to him too. In some respects, he's almost a cheerleader for the rest of the band. And is that so bad? I love the way he gets on stage and literally bows in front of Tony Iommi. Or points to Tony and calls him "iron man."

I love that he enjoys himself. I love that he gets up there every time and instead of acting like a pompous entitled rockstar he constantly thanks the audience for letting him be there.

And he can still sing well enough to be more than enjoyable for most people.

And fuck you for even using the word retard, frankly. <3

When you're sixty five fucking years old, if you rock half as hard as Ozzy does, I'll eat my words. But my guess is: You don't even rock half that hard right now.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 12-13-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglessmoof View Post
I can agree with you there. Ozzy definitely sounds better in 2013 than he has since at least 2005, perhaps even earlier.

I just wouldn't say he sounds "great", not even for his age.

I thought the reunion show sounded good... even listening to the audience recording before the official version was released. Yes, Robert Plant has lost some of his vocal range, so couldn't sing the songs exactly as they were written. But that's not the same as having your voice crack and singing off-key.
In all honesty, the LZ reunion concert sounds terrible both vocally & musically imho.

I say this after careful listening. I was all for a full-Zep reunion, but now I'm actually glad that Plant's refusal was the only reason it didn't happen.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:19 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
I'm surprised you even have time for Black Sabbath. Shouldn't you still be shoving Queensryche down our throats?

Yeah, Ozzy's goofy, but I think most people would agree it's an enjoyable, lovable sort of goofy. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's a modern scientific marvel that guy is alive, let alone able to stand up, let alone able to breathe, let alone even being able to speak or sing. Yet, he gets up there on stage, and it looks like he has an amazing god damn time. When I saw Sabbath in the summer it was obvious he can't sing like he used to. I mean, that's just a given. And it's obvious to him too. In some respects, he's almost a cheerleader for the rest of the band. And is that so bad? I love the way he gets on stage and literally bows in front of Tony Iommi. Or points to Tony and calls him "iron man."

I love that he enjoys himself. I love that he gets up there every time and instead of acting like a pompous entitled rockstar he constantly thanks the audience for letting him be there.

And he can still sing well enough to be more than enjoyable for most people.

And fuck you for even using the word retard, frankly. <3

When you're sixty five fucking years old, if you rock half as hard as Ozzy does, I'll eat my words. But my guess is: You don't even rock half that hard right now.
If you wanna see a retard on stage, see Justin Bieber.

Besides, I equally hate these kind of comments than those who only see Sabbath as Ozzy's backing band.

Tags
black sabbath