Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

That album rules
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
N00B

Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

I love Metal (Look at the site I am on), I Love Jazz (Look at my username), Thus this album is definitely in my bag. Progressive Metal mentality that has made love to Miles Davis esque trumpet sections and occasional hardcore punk brutality and heaviness. They meld together phenomenally and I enjoy it. The album has numerous transitions throughout single songs keeping songs fresh. However my only complaint is that Ephel Duath's magnum opus of songwriting is also their mild downfall due to them realizing they have a formula that works, thus making some of the songs similarly structured with some having an emphasis on the jazz, others on the prog, others on the metal,etc. In spite of this, the album rarely gets old if you are in the mood for something of this nature.

Any fans of Jazz Fusion and Metal making an offspring should suggest me some more bands of said ilk. I is nub.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM
N00B

So this is what we have so far. (Once again this order is subjective and I am truly inept at ranking them, thus the numbers are irrelevant.)
21.Absu-Absu
20.Mastodon-Remission
19.Lykathea Aflame-Elvenefris
18.Vektor-Black Future
17.Cormorant-Dwellings
16.The Black Dahlia Murder-Nocturnal
15.Arsis-A Celebration of Guilt
14.Opeth-Blackwater Park
13.Nokturnal Mortum-Voice of Steel
12.Ephel Duath-The Painter's Palette
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
N00B

Enslaved-Ruun
Progressive Black Metal

Enslaved have an expansive career in the black metal community and has been credited with being part of the infamous 2nd wave black metal scene that was conjured into existence within the confines of primarily Norvvay and other northern European countries. Forming in 1991, Enslaved started as a lo-fi as fuck(see "Yggdrasil"), raw, primal 2nd wave black metal atoned with the "required" screeches, blast beats, and tremolo picking. Since than, the 1990's Enslaved of Black/Viking (Frost, 1994, is still one hell of an album) has adopted a more progressive metal take on their brand of black metal to create a musically artisan artform. Songs such as the eponymous "Ruun" showcase expansive soundscapes that are both soothing and heavy and is chockfull of dynamics and "riffy" goodness. The first riff on the album during the, introduction song "Entroper" is atmospheric....and "rawkin?" 2 types of riffs that usually do not intertwine albeit do so substantially within this album.

Entroper
Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post

Enslaved-Ruun
Progressive Black Metal

Enslaved have an expansive career in the black metal community and has been credited with being part of the infamous 2nd wave black metal scene that was conjured into existence within the confines of primarily Norvvay and other northern European countries. Forming in 1991, Enslaved started as a lo-fi as fuck(see "Yggdrasil"), raw, primal 2nd wave black metal atoned with the "required" screeches, blast beats, and tremolo picking. Since than, the 1990's Enslaved of Black/Viking (Frost, 1994, is still one hell of an album) has adopted a more progressive metal take on their brand of black metal to create a musically artisan artform. Songs such as the eponymous "Ruun" showcase expansive soundscapes that are both soothing and heavy and is chockfull of dynamics and "riffy" goodness. The first riff on the album during the, introduction song "Entroper" is atmospheric....and "rawkin?" 2 types of riffs that usually do not intertwine albeit do so substantially within this album.

Entroper
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM
N00B

Wintersun-Wintersun
Melodic Death Metal/Extreme Power Metal

Jari (the mastermind behind this album) leaving Ensiferum was a double-edged sword for the metal community, Ensiferum lost a great musician albeit the fantastic Metal outfit dubbed Wintersun was formed in all its sexiness. Sexy riffs of varying tempo, sexy vocals of varying pitch (I enjoy the baritone/tenor cleans of Death and the Healing), sexy songs of steadily increasing length, sexy shredding solos, sexy musical technicality, just sexiness abound. The songwriting is goddamn paramount and fucking metal. Its pretty hard to describe an album that has been described so many times quite honestly. Battle Against Time is truly an underrated song that may reduce brain cells do to excessive amount of brain trauma due to all the headbanging.
Songs are fast, and slow. Both equally glorious

Battle Against Time
Death and the Healing
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Thanks for reminding me about this list in MPF's thread.
I finished with finals today, so I am going to try to finish this list up before the end of the month.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM
N00B

Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor
Riffs... Need I say more?

Riffs? Check. Odd Time Signatures? Check. (Not that matters. But they are fun.) Vocal range spanning numerous octaves? Check. Songwriting of Superb Proportions? Check. Everything I love about Progressive Metal into one convenient package? Let's add up another check to this bitch. Nevermore, (Like the previously listed, Enslaved) formed in the early 90's and (unlike Enslaved) started writing Facefucking Riffs that showcase how a band can be heavy as all hell while having all clean vocals. (I know too many people who think bands are only heavy if they have breakdowns and squeal like some dying farm animal) Nevermore has never released an album that I have found disappointing, but of the 2000's This Godless Endeavor showcases their capability of writing musical masterpieces the greatest.

This is Modern Heavy Metal at it's finest. No Frills (besides technicality, which is a plus in my book. As the technicality promotes the song writing and is not mindless wankery.) No gimmicks. Just a modern metal masterpiece.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post

Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette

I love Metal (Look at the site I am on), I Love Jazz (Look at my username), Thus this album is definitely in my bag. Progressive Metal mentality that has made love to Miles Davis esque trumpet sections and occasional hardcore punk brutality and heaviness. They meld together phenomenally and I enjoy it. The album has numerous transitions throughout single songs keeping songs fresh. However my only complaint is that Ephel Duath's magnum opus of songwriting is also their mild downfall due to them realizing they have a formula that works, thus making some of the songs similarly structured with some having an emphasis on the jazz, others on the prog, others on the metal,etc. In spite of this, the album rarely gets old if you are in the mood for something of this nature.

Any fans of Jazz Fusion and Metal making an offspring should suggest me some more bands of said ilk. I is nub.
I'll def check dis out
10/30 KING DIAMOND
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM
One who onions things

This Godless Endeavor is one of the best modern heavy metal albums, just a total masterpiece. I still regret never getting to see Nevermore live.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31