Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Rating Watain above Vreid... tsk tsk tsk... I am disappoint

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-07-2013, 03:05 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Rating Watain above Vreid... tsk tsk tsk... I am disappoint
I love Vried to Death but Watain had more variation to them.

That said, Vried is better overall.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I love Vried to Death but Watain had more variation to them.

That said, Vried is better overall.

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

That Fair Warning album is pretty good, though not as good as their Rainmaker album (nothing ever will really).If you want to be glam in 2013 though, go with Reckless Love's Spirit, Santa Cruz's Screaming For Adrenaline, or Crashdiet's The Savage Playground.

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 12-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM
That Guy

71.) Mygrain- Planetary Breathing

Modern Melodic Death Metal from Finland. A very melodic album compared to the rest of their catalog. A very solid album filled with synth driven hooks and heavy Melodeath moments. Not the most standout album that came out this year, but one that will get overlooked that deserves a fair shot.

7/10

72.) Galaktik Cancer Squad- Ghost Light

Progressive Black Metal. While not the greatest band name to come out (I actually find it quite dumb) the music is too good to ignore if you dig Black Metal done with some Prog. It does sound outer spacey and from the future. it's a cool combination when it's done right, and it is done right here.

8/10

73.) Ayreon- The Theory Of Everything

Don't get me wrong, I love Ayreon, always have. Every album is awesome in some way, shape, or form. And this is right up there with The Human Equation as the best Ayreon album, but just like every Ayreon album, and honestly every Arjen album, the cheese is what keeps it from being in my top albums. Musically, lyrically, songwriting wise, all stellar, but overall, great, but not perfect. I still love it. Fantastic Progressive Rock and Metal.

9/10

74.) Joe Satriani- Unstoppable Momentum

A lot of people even forgot that Satch put out an album this year. It is a stellar album for Satch, but just like any album he does, its only good in small doses. Nothing against one of the best damn guitarists in the world, but it does get samey after a while, but in those small doses, it's worth it.

7/10

75.) Newstead- Heavy Metal Music

This is a so-so album at beast. I love Jason Newstead, but half of this album is fantastic and half of it is very boring. Jason sounds just like Chuck Billy on every song, which to me is actually a plus, but only roughly half the album makes the cut. if he had made two EPs, or better yet, just stuck with the one, it would be regarded as a very damn good EP this year, but as a full album, just listen to a few tracks and move on.

5/10

76.) Scar The Martyr- S/T

Scar the martyr features Joey Jordison, Jed Simon and Kris Norris making what is essentially Early 2000s Nu Metal done in 2013. The difference? It actually sounds good! It's very industrial and sometimes thrashy, but the Nu Metal sound is very prominent. It's rare to find an album like this I can actually enjoy all the way through, but it has been done here. Bravo guys!

8/10

77.) Spiritual Beggars- Earth Blues

Ah, Swedish Stoner Rock is back. Spiritual Beggars is always one of those bands that any stoner rock fan could enjoy and not get bored with. Earth Blues has a heavy Deep Purple vibe throughout, which again is a very good thing, giving the band a new dimension to their sound. An album that many people missed out on, or forgot about, hopefully this review makes you check it out for some awesome music.

8/10

78.) Monster truck- Furiosity

Monster Truck is carrying on where Clutch has done since their Blues Roots albums. It's heavy and bluesy at the same time. Almost in a sense they can be the latter day Canadian Clutch. It gets a bit samey after a while, but if you enjoy the genre, you will love these guys.

8/10

79.) Christopher Lee- Charlemagne: The Omens of Death

This is either the worst Power Metal album of all time....or the best. I can't decide.

?/10

80.) Deicide- In the Minds Of Evil

Deicides Best album to date, it slays. Every song kicks your ass from beginning to end. And if you are like me where the lyrics don't matter, it doesn't feel cheesy, just heavy and brutal. Deicide, despite all the trouble going on in both camps, you have put out a killer album.

9.5/10

81.) Artillery- Legions

Ah, Danish Thrash, is there anything sexier? Well German thrash of course, but still, Artillery is a killer band. And Legions is no different, just in your face Thrash from beginning to end with no end in sight. If you haven't heard of Artillery, you are really doing yourself a disservice by not checking them out immediately!

9/10

82.) De Arma- Lost, Alien, and Forlorn

Some more Atmospheric Black Metal, mixed with Post Rock, with at least decent production. The songs on this album are brilliantly written and really grab at the heartstrings. Like the album title suggest, it is depressing but in a good way. Give this one a fair shot, it's absolutely worth it.

9/10

83.) Shelter Red- The Split Sabre

Instrumental Progressive Metal done in a non-traditional way. This is not your average Prog band. they are much heavier and more focused on writing songs than on writing time signatures and scales. The music does all the talking on this album and no vocals are needed. Just killer music all the way through.

8/10

84.) Starkill- Fires of Life

The best way I can describe Starkill is a mix of Dragonforce and early day Children Of Bodom. its very fast and heavy and lost of power behind it all. Originality wise, not so much, but the music on its own is very good and worth checking out for any fan of the genre.

7/10

85.) Masterplan- Novum Initium

Hardcore fans are not a fan of this album, but those who do enjoy anything about Masterplan will find something to love about this album. its a fun listen, as Power Metal usually is. Afterall, it's Masterplan! You get what you pay for.

8/10

86.) Feed Her To The Sharks- Savage Seas

Australian Metalcore. These guys would be fantastic if it wasn't for one thing that is overly used on this album that Deathcore, Industrial, etc keep using way too much lately....BASS DROPS. If you take that away you got one of the best underground Metalcore albums of the year. but those damn Bass drops ruined most of it for me.

5/10

87.) Pelican- Forever Becoming

How is no one talking about this awesome album at all this year? Pelican again outshines themselves with another stellar album. Instead of the last few releases of going more Poppy and song structured. Pelican went back into the dark angry sound that makes them that much more enjoyable to listen to. Some may not say this is their best work, but damn it is close.

9/10

88.) Vhol- S/T

A supergroup of Atmospheric, Sludge, and Doom Metal musicians have made a lo-fi masterpiece. Much faster than all of their main bands combined. This album showcases how versatile all these guys really are. There are no real ways to describe it without just listening to the album, so that is what I suggest, get on this!

9/10

89.) Reign Of Lies- The New Empire

The only thing this album lacks is perfect production. Otherwise this is a killer Groove Metal album. I found out about these guys when they opened for Melechesh and Vreid over the Summer and their bassist bought me a beer, gave me a CD and a shirt..and all I did was say that I dug their set. Now that is some fan love. Any fan of Groove Metal will love something about this album. Check it out!

8/10

90.) Black Pyramid- Adversarial

These guys have shown up for the last three years now on my list and every time they impress the hell out of me. Their brand of Sabbath inspired Stoner Metal is so damn cool. This album isn't anything out of the ordinary for the band, they write killer Stoner Metal, they don't need to reinvent the wheel, they already mastered it.

9/10
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 AM

I purchased the new Artillery on accident, thinking it was a different band
I dug it a lot as well, tho. Only heard a few songs here and there, plus a couple songs at MDF last year.

- Funeral Age
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
80.) Deicide- In the Minds Of Evil[/b]

Deicides Best album to date, it slays. Every song kicks your ass from beginning to end. And if you are like me where the lyrics don't matter, it doesn't feel cheesy, just heavy and brutal. Deicide, despite all the trouble going on in both camps, you have put out a killer album.

[b]9.5/10[b]
I would agree it is one of their stronger records, but you're the first person I've seen that thinks it is their best record.

Also, what is the trouble you're referring to?
11/7 - Artillery/Onslaught
11/27 - DTA/Obituary/Massacre
Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I would agree it is one of their stronger records, but you're the first person I've seen that thinks it is their best record.

Also, what is the trouble you're referring to?
Yeah, far from their best and far from their worst. Just a solid record that got a little boring after multiple listens. Nine point five is as little high too. I'd say seven point five.

He's probably referring to the Broken Hope stuff.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 12-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:11 AM
That Guy

Yeah I just meant the Broken Hope stuff, but I dig this more than the rest. The Stench of Redemption is second place for me, but I like this more.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
That Guy

91.) Saxon- Sacrifice

One of the most legendary and best Heavy Metal bands to come out of Europe. Saxon came back in a big way this year with Sacrifice. Stellar production and killer songs throughout. The title track is a great anthem for the band. It's everything you'd want in a Saxon album, just simply put an awesome Heavy metal album.

8/10

92.) Kalmah- Seventh Swamphony

Melodic Death metal, Thrash Metal and Power Metal all rolled into one. Kalmah knocks it out of the park again with their 7th album. Every song is just as stellar as the next. I would kill to see these guys live.

9/10

93.) Light Bearer- Silver Tongue

The second Magnum Opus from this band. Slowly brewing Progressive Doom Metal mixed with Post Rock for good measure. The band and all of their releases surround the story of Lucifer, which religious or not, makes for some killer music. It is nearly guaranteed you will never find another band like this who can make such an ethereal sound so beautiful and haunting all while having the evil haunting sounds of Hell surrounding you. Don't ignore these guys, check them out an enjoy!

9.5/10

94.) Cold Colours- S/T

The newest album from the MN Metal band, Cold Colours. It's doomy, it's Heavy, it's Melodic. It's badass and deserves some real attention. If you can find it, play it and enjoy!

8/10

95.) Sepultura- The Mediator Between Head And Hands Must Be The Heart

I have a really hard time getting into anything Post Max Sepultura. This album gets close, closer than they ever have before to me, but it still feels sub par. It's a personal thing, I know. On it's own It is a good album, but not as a Sepultura album.

6/10

96.) Killer Dwarfs- Start @ One

Bringing back the spirit of the 80s from their early days, Killer Dawfs are back with their newest album. It is classic 80's Glam Sleaze Rock at it's prime.

7/10

97.) Ihsahn- Das Seelenbrechen

Maybe it was just from a lack of being able to properly digest this album as it deserves, but this album is out in left field even for me. Considering what classics After and Eremita are, this is absolutely a strange album that explores everything Ihsahn is about. Maybe in time this will come back to me as a classic but for now, it's disappointing it didn't even reach my top 50.

6/10

98.) Orchid- The Mouths Of Madness

Oh yes the evil inspired Sabbath loving Occult Rock. It's becoming a very big thing but Orchid may have the lead above all the rest of these bands. They have the most original sound to them in the genre. In your face Fuzz Rock while staying heavy and badass. this is definitely not a band to overlook.

8/10

99.) Dead Letter Circus- The Catalyst Fire

The latest release from one of the finest Australian Prog bands. There is a big debate about which album is better, this or This Is the Warning. I love both albums equally. Both have their hooks that grab into you and don't let go. I hope these guys make it far, they deserve it.

9/10

100.) Stratovarius- Nemesis

This could be my favorite Strat album to date. it really feels like the band is firing on all cylinders now, which hasn't been for a long long time. Bravo guys, you finally made it back to the Progressive Power Metal prime that you are known for, now please keep it up!

9.5/10