Ne Obliviscaris -- Sydney, Australia -- November 27th, 2014
Mastodon -- Newcastle, England -- November 25th, 2014
Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 PM
N00B

Protest The Hero -- Orlando, FL -- December 3rd, 2013

We made our way out to Orlando for this only FL date on the current Protest The Hero tour, i was scheduled to interview Affiance and The Contortionist so we got there about 3 hours before doors. This show originally scheduled to be at The Beacham, but was moved next door to The Social due to ticket sales. (even though the show ended up selling out).

First up were Affiance. I've been hearing about this band for a few years, but never actually gave them a listen until this tour was announced. Affiance are a breath of fresh air in the metalcore world, they incorporate power metal into the mix, and their guitar tones are very melodeath sounding. Affiance had a very good crowd reaction for an opening band, they had a couple dozen or so people singing along to every song. The only complaint was the venue's sound was terrible for theirs and the next bands set. Overall a solid way to start the show.

Next up were The Kindred, I was only able to see 2 songs of their set because i had to go do an interview with Affiance. But from what i did see, they were solid. You can definitely hear influence from bands like Muse, Devin Townsend, and The Dear Hunter. A very, very odd band, but they make it work.

After the Affiance interview we made our way back just in time to see The Contortionist. The Contortionist are one of those bands that while I'm not really a fan of, i can definitely respect their talent and musicianship they bring, especially when playing live. The Contortionist recently acquired a new vocalist, Mike from Last Chance To Reason, who IMO is a better vocalist and a better fit for the band than their previous vocalist John was. The Contortionist were a last second addition to the tour, they ended up replacing Architects, who had to drop off due to exhaustion for constantly touring for so long. The Contortionist got a great crowd reaction, a majority of the 300 or so people there were singing to every word.

And now it was time for one of my personal favorite bands, Protest The Hero. This was my second time seeing them, and as awesome as they were the first time, they were absolutely mindblowing this time. Rody Walker continues to show why he is one of the finest vocalists in metal, showcasing a ridiculously wide vocal range, and his quirky sense of humor. Every 2 or 3 songs or so, Rody would talk to the crowd, tell them a short story or a joke or whatever, and on different occasions he was handed a shark costume and a spiderman mask, which he put on and performed a song while wearing them. He had to have a security guy cut arm holes in the shark costume, and a bear hole in the spiderman mask, but the crowd loved it. He also went on to saw how basketball was invented by a canadian, and that the only basketball game he's ever attended was one of the worst times of his life, and that he is bored by baseball but would rather watch it etc etc. Also when he put on the shark costume, the crowd randomly started chanting "Rode the Chode", to which is responded, "That's not a very flattering nickname" but made some crude joke about it and laughed it off. The thing i was most impressed with was their two guitarists, they can harmonize like no one's business, i also love the fact that they stray away from guitar solos, with only one or two exceptions. I should note that the drummer for The Kindred's drummer is filling in for PTH on this tour, but recently because their official drummer, and the guy is a flat out badass drummer. Overall Protest The Hero put on one of the top 5 sets of the year for me, and I can't wait to see them again.
---

Protest The Hero

1)Underbite
2)Hair-Trigger
3)Sequoia Throne
4)Clarity
5)The Dissentience
6)Heretics & Killers
7)Bury The Hatchet
8)Mist
9)Bloodmeat
10)C'est La Vie
11)Sex Tapes
12)Tilting Against Windmills
13)Blindfolds Aside

The Contortionist

1)Holomovement
2)Geocentric Confusion
3)Oscillator
4)Casualty
5)Flourish
6)Anatomy Anomalies
7)Cortical

Affiance

1)Kings Of Deceit
2)Peace Of Mind
3)We The Machines
4)You Will Be Replaced
5)Mad As Hell
6)Call To The Warrior.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Headbanger

Tilting Against Windmills might be my favorite PTH song. I'm probably going to go see them just because I can't get enough of that f'n song!
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM
N00B

Underbite is now the only logical opening song for any PTH set.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM
That Guy

It's amazing how Protest has redeemed themselves so much. I didn't think I'd ever be into them again especially after the last album.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
It's amazing how Protest has redeemed themselves so much. I didn't think I'd ever be into them again especially after the last album.
This. 2 of my Top 5 of 2013 are bands that I thought put out clunkers previously. Clutch and PTH...
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
N00B

I personally enjoyed Scurrilous.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Metal Setlists Elitist Committee

Yeah I don't see how somebody who loves Volition could hate on Scurrilous.
12/20 Cormorant/Wildhunt
1/2 Pity Sex/Whirr
Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Headbanger

I think Chris Adler makes a huge difference actually. What I really thought makes it worlds better are the vocals and lyrics. Some of that rose, disclose, compose, love her, disaffect her, respect her shit made certain songs unlistenable to me. Vocally it came off like Mike Pattons emo little brother at times. I like Volition the 1st time I listened to it...

I'm sure some poeple would say the same thing about Clutch but Strange Cousins took me 10 listens just to like 1 song and 10 more just to like a total of 3 songs. I liked Earth Rocker the 1st time I listened to it and it got better with every listen.

Strange parallel since I never expected to like anything from either band ever again
1/28 - Machine Head
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 PM
N00B

I'm probably the only person on earth that enjoyed Scurrilous more than Fortress ....

Tags
affiance, protest the hero, the contortionist