Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Mastodon -- Kansas City, MO -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI- October 20, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014
Raven -- West Hollywood, CA -- October 20th, 2014

Old 12-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Hey man just wanted to say your doing a really good job with this and I'm planning on checking out some of your mentions, and I also hope to see a couple of my top 20 albums mentioned as well. Keep on rockin'!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Fuckin Code! My guitarist showed them to me a while back, but I could never find their albums for a decent price. Saw they had a new one when I was at the record store today, but it was pretty expensive too

BTW, not sure if you've reviewed it yet, but Phil Anselmo & The Illegals is probably one of my biggest let downs of the year. I have heard SOOO much good stuff about it... bought it... and was utterly confused as to what Phil was going for #sadface

It's on the second page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Hey man just wanted to say your doing a really good job with this and I'm planning on checking out some of your mentions, and I also hope to see a couple of my top 20 albums mentioned as well. Keep on rockin'!
Thank you kindly!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 AM
That Guy

Quick question.

The year is starting to run out and I feel like I am running out of time to get everything done by the end of the year, should I skip to my Top 50, or keep up the other albums too?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Quick question.

The year is starting to run out and I feel like I am running out of time to get everything done by the end of the year, should I skip to my Top 50, or keep up the other albums too?
Personally I love seeing allthe albums, so maybe you can reduce the review and make it a sentance long such as "Great riffs but not enough bass, for fans of yaddayadda and insert genre here. better than their previous effort" 6/10

If that feels like too much of a hassle go to your top 50. Either way I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
That Guy

What if I do my Top 50 now and get back to the other albums afterwards?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
That would be the way I'd do it, but I definitely want to see them all personally.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:17 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Look at it this way.... how many people still haven't finished their best of 2011 list?

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM
N00B

Quote:
Sounds good.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
That Guy

I'm actually feeling good today so i am going to knock off 20-30 albums and see how I feel before going to the top 50.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
That Guy

51.) Sons Of Aeon- S/T

This was in my top 20 for the longest time, but overtime so many more albums came out since it's release in January that it got moved down. These guys are the Pain of Salvation of Melodic Death Metal. So Melodic, Proggy and the right amount of Melodeath to make this an awesome listen all the way though. The Song Wolf Eyes is one of my favorite songs of 2013 and any POS fan that can c\handle rough vocals will feel the same. I love these guys and this album is damn near perfection.

9.5/10

52.) Vattnet Viskar- Sky Swallower

The more condensed and more Black Metal focused Deafheaven. This is the otherside of Atmospheric Black Metal that gets ignored with bands like Deafheaven and Alcest...the dark, sludgy side. This album is criminally underrated in compared to Deafheaven's Sunbather (which will appear down the road in this compilation). Seriously killer stuff.

9.5/10

53.) DevilDriver- Winter Kills

DevilDriver is the Disturbed of Melodic Death Metal in my eyes. They get better on every album, but for some reason it never clicks with me. Winter Kills is easily their best material to date without question but at the same time it's still just meh to me. To those who love the style of DevilDriver, this you will cream yourselves over, and deservingly so, but just not me.

5/10

54.) Adrenaline Mob- Coverta

I originally wasn't going to add this one since it is a covers album, but then I remembered how much better it is that Omerta so I decided to add it. This is what I wish Adrenaline Mob would have been, Doing badass covers of badass songs, not being an All Star Disturbed tribute band. This is the album to get.

8/10

55.) The Aristocrats- Culture Clash

The only reason this isn't in my top 50 is for a lack of being able to hear it more. This is a far superior album to their debut where they feel much more like a band instead of just a jam session. Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan and Bryan Bellar, what else do you need to make a killer album? It is one of the best instrumental albums of the year without a shadow of a doubt. it's fun, quirky, and jaw dropping. Exactly what I wanted.

9/10

56.) Mumakil- Flies Will Starve

Very Brutal Death Metal and Crust with some Grindcore track lengths. Very solid, short, nice, and sweet. Not much else to say other than it is very solid and worth a listen if you are a fan of the genre

8/10

57.) Death Wolf- !!: Black Armoured Death

A Death Metal/Black Metal All Star band doing Horror Punk in the style of the Misfits. It gets kinda repetitive after a while, but in small doses it's pretty good...just like listening to the Misfits. All In All nothing really impressive here, just good ol' Horror Punk.

6/10

58.) We Are Legion- Exit Humanity

Easily one of the best Death Metal bands in Minnesota We Are Legion is back with their 2nd album which was mastered by J-F of Kataklysm. Exploring more genres this time around, this is a far better representation of the band that I have been fortunate enough to see kick ass on plenty of Occasions. They call themselves the Pink Floyd Of Death Metal, this pretty much showcases that expect pretty damn well.

8/10

59.) Artlantica- Across The Seven Seas

Very Symphony X inspired Symphonic Power Metal. Not a carbon clone, but pretty close. I was hoping for a bit more originality but I love Symphony X so it's hard to hate this. It's really done well.

6/10

60.) Kvelertak- Meir

These guys are lumped into the Hipster category, which i will never understand. They are badass Hardcore, Black Metal and Classic Rock and Roll rolled into one. They only get better with age even with this being their second album. Without a doubt one of the most original sounding bands to come out in quite sometime with a distinct edge that will definitely get them more exposure on their next album, without question. I love these guys.

9/10

61.) Havok- Unnatural Selection

One of the finest Thrash Metal albums of the year. Very Political this time around, but the music is so thrashy and fun that it doesn't take anything away from it,. And their cover of Sabbath's Children Of the Grave is too damn good to ignore. Just pure unadulterated THRASH!!!

9/10

62.) Todtgelichter- Apnoe

Avante4 Garde- Progressive Post Metal. that is an odd description, but it fits very well. This album goes from Extreme Metal to some of the most Melodic and beautiful moments ever sang in 2013. Don't let the name of the band scare you off, the vocals are in English. This is a dangerously underrated album and I hope even with this review that it will get the band some exposure, they so deserve it.

9.5/10

63.) Watain- The Wild Hunt

Arguably the biggest Black metal band going right now (or at least the most exposure anyways) Watain is back with their newest album which ventures off the beaten Black Metal course and goes into more territories that are not much explored. Lots of various tempos and genre changes on this one all while keeping their sinister tone, while not the best Black metal album of the year, it is one of the most evil and deathly albums to come out in quite some time. Now if they can stop with the roadkill sacrifices on stage...that would be great.

8/10

64.) Fair Warning- Sundancer

No, not Fates Warning, FAIR Warning, the German Hard Rock band. This is an absolute throwback to 80's GLAM Rock, which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. For me, it's good in small doses. For anyone who wants to be GLAM in 2013, this is the Album to get in my eyes.

7/10

65.) August Burns Red- Rescue & Restore

A band that I ignored for the longest time until their last album and was blown away, this time around my jaw hit the ground. Granted it is heavily Christian Metalcore, but the music is too damn good to ignore. All while staying fresh and relevent these guys have written the best damn album of their career.

9.5/10

66.) Vreid- Welcome Farewell

Norwegian Black And Roll done at it's finest, Vreid are back with their newest release that easily showcases some of the best work. While if you ever heard Vreid before, this doesn't stay from the beaten path, it is a damn solid album that just kick's ass Black and Roll style.

8/10

67.) Levin, Minnemann, Rudess- S/T

Tony Levin on Bass, Marco Minnemann on Drums and Guitar and Jordan Rudess on Keys. This Liquid Tension Experiment inspired album showcases one of the best trios since the Aristocrats (funny enough how they are on this list just a few above eh?) This is a much different album than the aforementioned Aristocrats album. it is much more subdued, not quirky, a bit more serious, but overall a very solid Instrumental Prog album that made fans of LTE jump for joy, I know I did.

9/10

68.) Antiquus Scriptum- Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Some more killer, well produced Atmospheric Black Metal. The vocals are a bit...different, but doesn't deteriorate from the music. Nothing too outrageously different albout this album that differentiates from the genre. Just really cool stuff...if you can take the vocals.

7/10

69.) Warbeast- Destroy

Very badass Groovin Metal. Helped discovered by Phil Anselmo from his Noisecore Records label. This is the second release from the band and they improved vastly. While there is not much variation on this album, it is solid all the way through for what it is, Metal metal Metal...Up your ass.

8/10

70.) Trivium- Vengeance Falls

I was very skeptical of this album for two big reasons. One, In waves was horrible from start to finish. And second, David Draiman of Disturbed was producing this album. That should automatically have a recipe for disaster...but it's not. It's not the best album of their career, but they have redeemed themselves in a big way. The good side of Trivium is back with their blend of Thrash and Metalcore, and it's about damn time too. Hopefully the next album will be even more of a step up.

7/10