Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014
Threshold -- London, England -- November 20th, 2014

Old 11-28-2013, 10:34 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Hey whatever happened to your list man? It was tits!
I'll get back to it after finals. So I'll try to finish it once and for all in December.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM
That Guy

31.) The Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer

Easily the most simple and I dare say, mainstream DEP record to date. I would argue to say it's their best as well. The vocals are back to not sounding so high pitch and back at the Patton style that makes the band more interesting. It is less Chaotic overall, but they replaced the chaos with better songwriting and overall song structure, which I will always be a bigger fan of anyways. Oddly enough this didn't make my top 50, but it is in my top 55 for sure.

9/10

32.) Bolus- Triangulate

Progressive Rock done right in 2013. It's kinda poppy at times almost like Yes would be if they came out right now. There are some more mixes of bands including Coheed and Cambria, Rush, Dream Theater, but all at the same time none of the music feels pretentious and it very well written. Give these guys a fighting chance, this is killer stuff!

8/10

33.) Ashes Of Ares- S/T

Matt Barlow is back baby! Arguably showcasing some of his finest vocal abilities to date. But not only is Barlow back but Van Williams formerly of Nevermore. I will say this, this is a killer album for sure, but it does feel lacking for some reason that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it is because it is it's own entity and not Iced Earth nor Nevermore. It's great to see both kicking ass with music again and one can only hope for at least one proper US tour.

8/10

34.) Celeste- Animale(S)

Atmospheric Black Metal done with a different approach. For the most part it is unrelenting and pummeling with the atmospherics in the background instead of in the foreground.This two part album is a very cool listen overall for those that want some Atmospheric Black Metal that is not dreamy and dreary. Definitely giving it props for staying a bit more tr00 (and with actual decent recording quality, for once in black metal).

9/10

35.) Enshine- Origin

Short Doom Metal with lots of background, synth driven, soundscapes. It reminds me a lot of the band Daylight Dies but instead of having varying tempos it focuses more on dynamics. This is a great album to check out if you want something different out of Traditional Doom/Death Metal and with a bit more feeling behind it.

8/10

36.) Edenbridge- The Bonding

VERY Symphonic Female Fronted Progressive Power Metal. But the one advantage to this band over the other bands of this genre is that the female vocals are not Operatic. Which can be done greatly, but since Nightwish, has been so over saturated. Overall this is just a fun Symphonic Metal album that while not a game changer, definitely helps you appreciate the genre if the normal operatic vocals get to you.

7/10

37.) All Pigs Must Die- Nothing Violates This Nature

A very diverse album overall for a chaotic Hardcore band. I am sure that Kurt from Converge producing this album had a lot to do with that. This goes from in your face hardcore chaos to very melodic Doom/Sludge Metal to anything in between. Having Ben from Converge on drums also helps with the creativity of this band. This is not your run of the mill Hardcore, this is so much more, and people really need to check it out to truly appreciate it.

9/10

38.) Rosetta- The Anasethe

I will whole heartedly say that the sole reason why this isn't in my top 50 of the year is for a lack of being able to hear it as much as I wanted to. This is Sludge and Doom Done right in every single way. Fans of bands like The Ocean would cream themselves when they discover Rosetta. So very dynamic and will be an influential album in the genre for years to come. it is way too good to ignore The dynamics folks....THE DYNAMICS!!! So damn good, and hopefully you'll dig it as well.

9.5/10

39.) Misery Signals- Absent Light

Misery Signals is a band that I discovered nearly a decade because I had them confused with Misery Index. But I am very happy to have discovered them because they are a killer band for their blend of Progressive Metalcore. Absent Light may be their finest work to date as well as saying that. They really took their time since 2008's Controller and made a creative, killer album that really showcases what can be done in Progressive Metalcore. For the most part it is a genre that is known about but ignored for it's Metalcore name, but damn it, break out of stereotypes and enjoy this fine piece of music called Absent Light, it's well worth stepping out of yourself to check it out.

9/10

40.) Boris- Präparat

Everything that Boris is about is in this one album, from the poppyness of their Japan Pop Roots to their Sludgy Doom Metal that became synonymous with the band. Yes this is all in one album. Boris may be one of, if not the finest band to ever come out of Japan. Check out this album to understand why.

9.5/10
Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Spot on with that All Pigs Must Die review. It also sounds like I need to check out those Celeste and Rosetta albums.
12/13 Acheron ?
12/17 Cannabis Corpse ?
12/19 Wretched ?
12/26 Macabre ?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:25 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Spot on with that All Pigs Must Die review. It also sounds like I need to check out those Celeste and Rosetta albums.
Definitely. All three are worthy of listening to.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM
That Guy

41.) Rotting Christ- Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy

Rotting Christ is not your stereotypical evil band, they expand their horizons on every album. Sometimes that's for the best, other times it makes you go....what the hell was that? This time around, it's a bit of both. They are a band that you can't really put into words, you gotta just hear them and trust your ear's instinct. You'll hear Death metal, but you'll hear Orchestration and electronics and horns out of nowhere. It's not for the faint of heart nor is it an instant love album, it's one that is absolutely deserving of the phrase, grower.

7/10

42.) Bruce Soord (Featuring Jonas Radke)- Wisdom Of Crowds

It doesn't get much stranger than when you combine the masterminds behind The Pineapple Thief and Katatonia. This is an Indie, Electronic, Progressive Rock album that is moody and sounds happy at the same time. If you really, and I mean, REALLY wanna experiment, check out this album, it kinda explains the choices both men have made for their bands lately.

7/10

43.) Bane Of Winterstorm- The Last Sons Of Perylin

A fast paced thrill seeker of a Symphonic Power Metal album. It is very symphonic and epic feeling throughout. The vocals even range from the soaring highs to near guttural, but understandable cleans. This is the kind of Power Metal that gives Power Metal it's cheesy, but awesome name. there is nothing but POWER behind this album, I really dig it.

8/10

44.) My Soliloquy- The Interpreter

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with this synth driven Progressive Metal band, but they do sound like the stereotypical Progressive Metal band that was inspired by Dream Theater and Symphony X and made a band. If that's up your alley, so are these guys, but in the Prog world, this breaks new ground, I guess I was just hoping for something a bit more.

5/10

45.) Kingcrow- In Crescendo

Absolutely beautiful and awesome Progressive Metal. While getting some good exposure this year opening for Pain of Salvation here in the states (Which I will never forget because the St. Paul show was canceled the day of) Kingcrow is starting to make a real name for itself in the Prog world. In a way they are what I wish Pain of Salvation would have stayed or evolved into instead of the Zepplin era they are still currently in. This album is fantastic and any Prog fan will love this to bits.

9/10

46.) Replica- The Bright Side Of Death

Pretty Groovin Metal mixed in with some Metalcore moments used sparingly. Not top of the mill, nor run of the mill material, but stuff that is worth a shot if you dig what Groove Metalcore can bring to you. there is some talent to these guys, just in need of a bit better production.

6/10

47.) Red Fang- Whales And Leeches

Red Fang is a beer drinker's wet dream. They are the kind of band you go and see, get drunk and just party the whole time. The new album from Red Fang is a great representation of the band live. Just balls out Stonerish Hard Rock that Kyuss fans still lust for. Red Fang nail it again!

9/10

48.) Altar Of Plagues- Teethed Glory And Injury

Altar of Plagues is one of those bands that is hit or miss to me. Their debut was a solid hit for me. Mammal was such a disappointment to me. This, being their last album ever is sure to hopefully be a winner right? Well...they actually did. This is their best work to date. One thing that really helped the band a lot in my eyes is the return to shorter track lengths instead of just extending to extend, like what Mammal feels like to me. This album is top notch and doesn't feel like it goes on too long before it drastically changes over and over and over again. A solid win, and a sad final win for the band.

9.5/10

49.) Darkane- The Sinister Supremacy

No one does Melodic Death metal and Thrash like Darkane does. They are so criminally unknown to most Metal fans, and it is just not fair because they are amazing. They are back to their original roots on this one focusing on the thrashiness and the melodicness that makes them so damn catchy. Plus Peter Wiloder being one of the best drummers alive doesn't hurt. This is a solid winner of a album of a genre and overall a band that should be touring constantly but sadly may not get more recognition that this review.

9.5/10

50.) Stormlord- Hespiria

Epic Symphonic Power Metal mixed with Black Metal. Who'd a thunk it? Well it has been made and it sounds really damn impressive. if you hate Black Metal or it's vocals, you will HATE this album. If you love well orchestrated Power Metal mixed with Black Metal elements to make epicness that you may have never imagined, go for this one. it's a mindscrew at first but once you get sucked in, you can't let go. I know I can't.

9.5/10
Old 11-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Leaving material world behind, I see your face in constellations.

Glad this is up again, I found some gems last year that I still listen to semi-frequently to this day (Siamese Fighting Fish in particular). 2 of your mentioned albums have already found their way into my library, which is already a quicker conversion than last year, if I'm not mistaken. You'll be sure to get a mention for said albums on my year-end list, which will be compiled in the coming weeks as I try and sort through listening to the inevitable end-of-year pile up. Keep up with the posts, I'm looking forward to finding a handful of others.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineVIVIVI View Post
Glad this is up again, I found some gems last year that I still listen to semi-frequently to this day (Siamese Fighting Fish in particular). 2 of your mentioned albums have already found their way into my library, which is already a quicker conversion than last year, if I'm not mistaken. You'll be sure to get a mention for said albums on my year-end list, which will be compiled in the coming weeks as I try and sort through listening to the inevitable end-of-year pile up. Keep up with the posts, I'm looking forward to finding a handful of others.
Cheers!

Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

I've only heard one Darkane album, but always hear nothing but good things about the rest of their stuff. I REALLY need to listen to them again. I do remember the drummer being amazing tho

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 12-01-2013, 04:38 PM
That Guy

51.) Suffocation- Pinnacle Of Bedlam

Easily one of the best Death Metal releases of 2013 without question. it is simply solid from start to finish. Nothing spectacularly different when it comes to Death Metal, just very damn solid and should make any Death Metal fan moist in the pants, and simply done right.

9/10

52.) Code- Augur Nox

Progressive Black Metal. It's an odd combination when you first think about it, but when you hear it done right, it so very well fits together. Prog and Black Metal can fit hand in hand and Code is a great example of this, not the best, but definitely good.

7/10

53.) Born Of Osiris- Tomorrow We Die ∆live

These guys took until their last album to finally find their niche when it comes to forming their own sound. It's combing Djent, Progressive Metal, Melody, and doing away with the God Awful Deathcore that plagues their first few releases. This is easily their strongest release because you don't hear any ripoffs on this album, it's Born Of Osiris playing as themselves and doing a damn good job of it. a very killer album that will most likely go to the way side without proper reviewing.

9/10

54.) October Age- Plague Of A Coming Age

Some more of the Atmospheric Black Metal for you that I love and enjoy. Unlike about 95% of all the Black Metal albums I received this year, this one is actually listenable production wise, which is already a step in the right direction. To me October Falls is what would happen if Early to mid era Opeth played Atmospheric Black Metal. it is very damn good stuff that shouldn't be ignored, especially if you are an Opeth fan and wanted to get into the genre. This is a great access band for that. Can't sing this one's praises enough.

9.5/10

55.) Sandstone- Delta Viridian

Progressive Power Metal, more Power than anything else. I haven't quite put my finger on every aspect of this album yet other than it is definitely solid musically and production wise. The vocals are hit or miss. You will love them or hate them, or possibly grow into them. Definitely give it a shot if you are into the genre, while virtually unknown, it is quality stuff.

8/10

56.) Kyle Gass Band- S/T

I had no idea this was a thing and that Trainwreck had broken up. This is the less comical side of Kyle Gass focusing on his songwriting and guitar playing rather than letting Jack Black basically control everything in Tenacious D. This is just a fan acoustic guitar basses Rockin' album. Not much else to add other than it's fun to listen to and worth at least one listen.

6/10

57.) Dethklok- The Doomstar Requiem (Soundtrack)

While not a traditional Dethklok album (which I doubt there will be anymore besides possibly one more). While the whole thing is an Opera, it's a love or hate endeavor. I know plenty of people who found this disappointing, while just as many people found it epic as hell. I am with the latter. The ending to Blazing Star may just be the best moment in the history of Dethklok. Go into this one with an open mind if you are weary of it. If you are a fan of the show, you gotta find something to love about this.

9/10

58.) Coffins- The Fleshland

For fans of early day Death Metal. This is brash, discorded, and full of Death. Early day Entombed comes to mind a lot hearing this. Overall, not the best sounding album production wise, the music more than makes up for it.

7/10

59.) Animations- Private Ghetto

Very damn heavy, groovin, proggy Metal with growls. Like the name suggests, the sound is a bit...animated, but never cartoonish. This is almost taking an Art Rock approach to Metalcore. It's an odd description I know, but once you hear it, it makes sense.

8/10

60.) Jolly- The Audio Guide To Happiness (Volume II)

These guys are simply killer. Both albums they have released have been killer Progressive Rock/Metal albums. it's hard to compare both albums as they both fit perfectly with each other and like the album title suggests, its an album that will make you happy. Non-pretentious Progressive Rock is hard to find, and these guys do it so very damn well. I wish them nothing but the best!

9/10
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Fuckin Code! My guitarist showed them to me a while back, but I could never find their albums for a decent price. Saw they had a new one when I was at the record store today, but it was pretty expensive too

BTW, not sure if you've reviewed it yet, but Phil Anselmo & The Illegals is probably one of my biggest let downs of the year. I have heard SOOO much good stuff about it... bought it... and was utterly confused as to what Phil was going for #sadface

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com