Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

  #781  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:31 AM
HackedUpForBBQ's Avatar
HackedUpForBBQ HackedUpForBBQ is offline
Pass the steak sauce
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Niagara Falls/Buffalo, NY
Posts: 487
I hate having to work on the holidays, even though the holiday pay does make it slightly less painful
__________________
8/31 - Cre/Cooper
10/1 - Judas Priest
10/11 - Deicide
10/18 - Anvil
10/19 - THE KING
11/18 - Manowar
Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 AM
PVH5150 PVH5150 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommie View Post
New google maps suck too.
They give you the option of reverting back to the old style. I just revert & bookmark and no more new maps.
Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,089
Google Maps is different?
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 11-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Ommie Ommie is offline
Crucial Mosh Achieved
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
They give you the option of reverting back to the old style. I just revert & bookmark and no more new maps.
Yeah I know, as long as I have the option to use the old google maps then I'm content.
__________________
10/13 Stray from the Path
10/24 Mastodon
10/31 Amon Amarth (?)
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 12-11-2013, 12:45 PM
John The Drummer's Avatar
John The Drummer John The Drummer is offline
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,536
People that start almost all of their sentences with "I mean..."

"I mean, its cool and all. But, I mean, I'm not sure if it really fits. I mean, sure that riff is great, but, I mean, it could be a bit faster. And, I mean, lets work with it."

Stuff like that just annoys the piss out of me
__________________
- Dalla Nebbia
facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Maideneer's Avatar
Maideneer Maideneer is offline
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
People that start almost all of their sentences with "I mean..."

"I mean, its cool and all. But, I mean, I'm not sure if it really fits. I mean, sure that riff is great, but, I mean, it could be a bit faster. And, I mean, lets work with it."

Stuff like that just annoys the piss out of me
I absolutely LOVE reading into filler words and their meanings and have casually studied this type of thing for years now. Starting off with "I mean" projects an aura of no confidence in what you're about to say, and it also means the word "But" is not far behind, therefore it's usually a statement of displeasure dressed up in soft wording, almost to let the recipient down easy.

I mean, I like your gift, but, I'm not sure it's my thing.
I mean, it's not as if I left you at the party alone, but, you did have it coming.
I mean, the Yankees don't need Cano, but, it would be preferable to have him.
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
I absolutely LOVE reading into filler words and their meanings and have casually studied this type of thing for years now. Starting off with "I mean" projects an aura of no confidence in what you're about to say, and it also means the word "But" is not far behind, therefore it's usually a statement of displeasure dressed up in soft wording, almost to let the recipient down easy.

I mean, I like your gift, but, I'm not sure it's my thing.
I mean, it's not as if I left you at the party alone, but, you did have it coming.
I mean, the Yankees don't need Cano, but, it would be preferable to have him.
That's only true when used in the context of the examples like the ones you just used.

A very common turn of phrase here is to make an argument about something, and it doesn't matter if it's a negative or positive argument, and within it say something like "I mean there's no way that can be true, because...".

In that context it's not a lack of confidence in the succeeding statement, it's emphasis.

Similarly, you can follow up a point you've just made with "I mean, come on" which is basically demanding agreement, but still having confidence in your own point (because you know disagreement is going to result in re-stating your point )

"I mean, it can't be, can it?" could also be rhetorically demanding agreement, or it could be asking for agreement/opinion. Depends on the tone.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM
PVH5150 PVH5150 is offline
.
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,914
"Professional" mechanics that don't know how to read a VIN.

That was the first thing they taught us in auto repair during high school. It isn't that fucking hard.

Mechanic: "Yeah, I've got an August 2005 Ford Taurus...."
Me: "Give me the VIN."
Mechanic: "Anything August or after means its an '06."
Me: "No, it really doesn't. Give me the VIN."

And I then proceed to teach mechanics shit they should've learned in high school. The 10th digit of the VIN signifies the model year. I don't care if it was produced in May/June/July of 2005, if your 10th digit is a 6, it's a 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
John The Drummer's Avatar
John The Drummer John The Drummer is offline
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,536
Things I hate... stories like this... reminds me of the guy that brutal murdered his kids and then set his house on fire with him and his kids inside here in Washington.... so sickening.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-father-th...174743799.html
__________________
- Dalla Nebbia
facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Things I hate... stories like this... reminds me of the guy that brutal murdered his kids and then set his house on fire with him and his kids inside here in Washington.... so sickening.

http://news.yahoo.com/nypd-father-th...174743799.html
This makes me very angry.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008