It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014
Nonpoint -- Flint, MI -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I remember the first time I saw Skeletonwitch at a bar in Manhattan, KS, their shirts were $10 - $12. They're normal price now.

Bolt Thrower shirts at MDF were, I think, $15 each. Maybe cheaper, but they were definitely lower than normal. That was fucking awesome. I heard they printed their own stuff to keep costs down, though.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
One who onions things

I know that oftentimes venues take a cut of the merch. Amphitheaters and arenas take pretty hefty cuts, which is what I think helped lead to the $35 standard we see at those places. I even remember the Key Club demanding as much as 30% back when it was still open. Ravenheart pretty much nailed it on the head though.

More often than not, shirts that are $15 or less mean that the band is really fricken rich and is willing to take a loss for the fans' or their image's sake (Foo Fighters), they've reduced their overhead enough and/or control the market (Bolt Thrower), are trying to unload stock that no one wants (Impaled), or are a small band willing to take a loss in exchange for spreading the brand and gaining some free advertising (Funeral Age).
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I know that oftentimes venues take a cut of the merch. Amphitheaters and arenas take pretty hefty cuts, which is what I think helped lead to the $35 standard we see at those places. I even remember the Key Club demanding as much as 30% back when it was still open. Ravenheart pretty much nailed it on the head though.

More often than not, shirts that are $15 or less mean that the band is really fricken rich and is willing to take a loss for the fans' or their image's sake (Foo Fighters), they've reduced their overhead enough and/or control the market (Bolt Thrower), are trying to unload stock that no one wants (Impaled), or are a small band willing to take a loss in exchange for spreading the brand and gaining some free advertising (Funeral Age).
I wonder if Warped has a thing in place with amphitheaters because those bands (and there's a million of them at each stop) usually have pretty cheap merch. For standalone shows, though, the merch prices are significantly higher.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post

Bolt Thrower shirts at MDF were, I think, $15 each. Maybe cheaper, but they were definitely lower than normal. That was fucking awesome. I heard they printed their own stuff to keep costs down, though.
Bolt thrower are a special case because you can only get a t shirt at one of their shows, but the printing themselves isn't so rare these days. Rammstein and King Diamond do the same, amongst others I'm sure. Allows them to totally corner the market and charge nicer prices for fans while still maintaining a cut themselves.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
N00B

Yep, it's pretty simple actually:
1) Does the venue take a cut? There is more to it than that!!!! Some venues will only allow THEIR staff to sell YOUR merchandise. What some bands do in this case, believe it or not, is overcharge for their shirts so that the $$$ doesn't go to the venue and their staff. You may have noticed bands then selling merch outside after the shows. Go by their buses!

2) As others have pointed out, many headlining bands force price matching. This is extremely lame,esp at the club level, since the headlining band not too long ago was a support band who felt the same wrath. If you are worthy of headliner status, you shouldn't be too concerned about a support band charging $5 or $10 less. If you find the support band to be a threat to your sales, then maybe you should reconsider your status as a headliner, or better yet, lower your price to match theirs. What would be best is if the headliners simply talked it out and agreed on a happy medium.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Yeah Gojira AND 4Arm were charging $35 for shirts at the Slayer show, I'm sure not by their own choosing.
I also know that SF venues charge a higher tax on merch at shows so shirts might be marked up a little bit in certain areas.
When I saw Gojira headline earlier this year the shirts were only 20 bucks.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

I don't buy merch anymore unless it's Maiden and it's the specific show shirt. $35 sucks but it's once every few years so it won't kill me.

I remember buying an In Flames long-sleeve Colony shirt at L'Amour in 1999 and it was $20. I still have it and it's in good condition!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Music? Yeah... it's my life.

And then there's KISS.
5/1-3 Beale St Music Festival
Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfansat View Post
And then there's KISS.
A law unto themselves.

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary