Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Raven -- Fullerton, CA -- October 23rd, 2014
King Diamond -- Denver, CO -- October 24th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 24th, 2014
Judas Priest -- Evansville, IN -- October 22nd, 2014
Pearl Jam -- Denver, CO -- October 22nd, 2014

Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Testament - The Legacy - April 21, 1987

Clearly a product of the Bay Area scene, Testament were probably the first of the "second wave" thrash bands (if there truly was such a thing) to release a full-length album. Obviously influenced by the likes of Metallica and Exodus, Testament were melodic, technically sound and uncompromisingly vicious. Most songs are played at surprisingly fast tempos, given the difficulty of the material, especially when taking into consideration the speed at which they would be played some 25 years later by the same musicians, save one (drummer Louie Clemente).

Testament's main strength is the proficiency of their members at their given roles. They lucked out big time when Steve Souza left to join Exodus and hulking frontman Chuck Billy stepped in. In his prime, which evidentally was some time around 1987, the man could sing, shout and shriek like no other, sounding like the unholy descendent of James Hetfield, Tom Araya and a pack of wolves. Lead guitarist Alex Skolnick is probably the first true virtuoso we've seen in thrash metal. His leads range from damn good to awe-inspiring, leaving pentatonic-rager Kirk Hammett and whammy-bar afficionados King and Hanneman in the dust while giving Dave Mustaine a run for his money. Eric Peterson has always been underrated in the riff-crafting department, but it's clear he was excellent right from the start, blazing through firey riff after firey riff. The rhythm section of Greg Christian and Louie Clemente is nothing if not solid, and while neither player shines, they lay the foundation for the others to do so.

The main gripe with early Testament was always the production, and this is a valid complaint. The guitar sound is muddy, and while it is nowhere near the worst among mid-80's thrash records, it is certainly surprising given that it was released by a major label. There's a whole lot of good stuff here though, as most of the songs are thrashers of the highest order, with only the odd clunker -- one being "Do or Die", a song all but forgotten in the Testament catalogue, and a few songs undeserving of the 'classic' label bestowed on them, namely "The Haunting" and "Alone in the Dark". Of course, there's also the fact that Testament doesn't really present anything original on The Legacy, largely echoing their predecessors. The execution though, leaves little to be desired.

Standouts: Apocalyptic City, Over the Wall, Burnt Offerings

Score: 9/10
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Do Or Die is one of my favorites from Legacy.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:39 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

To me it seems kind of disjointed and the chorus it too cheesy.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I think we can all agree that Alone In the Dark is the among the worst Testament songs ever recorded. I can hear Zetro doing it well, but not Chuck.

Either way, this is a true thrash classic
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
To me it seems kind of disjointed and the chorus it too cheesy.
The chorus is fun IMO. For what it's worth, you got two out of my other three favorites right (Over the wall and Apocalytpic City).
Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
The chorus is fun IMO. For what it's worth, you got two out of my other three favorites right (Over the wall and Apocalytpic City).
Apocalyptic City is a true thrash classic. I haven't sat down and thought about it, but it would definitely be in the running for top 10 thrash songs of all time.

Spiner, damn right Alone in the Dark is shit. I have no idea how that makes it on the album while Reign of Terror doesn't.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I like Alone In The Dark too actually. I like all those songs really, if I have to pick an oddman out it would be First Strike Is Deadly.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I like Alone In The Dark too actually. I like all those songs really, if I have to pick an oddman out it would be First Strike Is Deadly.
I like First Strike... but really, I would take Reign of Terror over almost any song on The Legacy.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
I like First Strike... but really, I would take Reign of Terror over almost any song on The Legacy.

If I remember correctly....

Finally, we have the ONE song that makes this album not entire shit. The obligatory Forgotten Song, Reign of Terror. Why this did not make it onto The Legacy is beyond me - the demo version is fucking awesome, and is the greatest song Testament ever did.

-Ultraboris, First Strike Is Deadly review

....yup.

Of course, from that same review

For example, the opening track - possibly the best song on The Legacy. First Strike is Deadly
Old 11-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly....

Finally, we have the ONE song that makes this album not entire shit. The obligatory Forgotten Song, Reign of Terror. Why this did not make it onto The Legacy is beyond me - the demo version is fucking awesome, and is the greatest song Testament ever did.

-Ultraboris, First Strike Is Deadly review

....yup.

Of course, from that same review

For example, the opening track - possibly the best song on The Legacy. First Strike is Deadly
Lol yeah, I had many discussions with Boris about Testament and they rarely ended in agreement. Reign of Terror was the one point we could agree on.