The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Satyricon Ė Now, Diabolical (2006)

A lot of people will tell you if you donít like Satyricons earlier albums you arenít a fan of black metal. Those same people will tell you that if you like Satyricons later stuff you are a sell-out, no knowledge, bandwagon hoping, mainstream loving douche and you should just go listen to 30 Seconds to Mars. Well, okay then. Here I go: I think Nemesis Divina sucks. Forgive me for liking music that is simple, catchy, well written, well produced and enjoyable to listen to. Maybe I should just force myself to listen to Nemesis Divina even though I think it sucks and is torturous to listen to just so I donít have to trade in my ďtr00 kvltĒ card for a gift certificate to Hot Topic. Or maybe Iíll just continue to enjoy this. A great album that follows the road they (Satyricon) started on Rebel Extravaganza and Volcano but stripped of whatever cold and grimness was left in them. What weíre left with is a really catchy, blackened hard rock album. A review I read about this album when it came out stated that this was Satyricons ĎBlack Albumí. Thatís really the best description of this album Iíve heard and thereís nothing wrong with that. Itís full of wicked, catchy songs and awesome melodies. The guitar work is so simple yet so awesome. A lot of the riffs are just single notes with sight string bends but itís so damn hypnotic. And thatís the best way to describe later Satyricon: hypnotic. Theyíll just lock into a groove and before you know it five minutes have passed and youíll hit repeat. There's not a bad song on this album. Fuck Nemesis Divina, listen to Now, Diabolical!
Favorite Song: A New Enemy
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Memento OST (2001)

Memento is one of the best movies youíve probably never seen. So you should Netflick or stream or whatever you kids do these days and watch it right now. The movie is awesome and the soundtrack is just as good. Almost. I donít like it when a soundtrack is filled with songs that are ďinspired byĒ the movie yet werenít even in the movie. Half the songs on this album (save David Bowies Something in the Air) werenít anywhere to be heard in the movie. And none of them are that great anyway. But what this album does have is the hypnotic score. It really never consists of more than droning keyboards and dialogue from the movie but fuck is it cool. In the movie the music is perfect for every scene and on itís own the music is just as cool. Buy the movie and buy the soundtrack. I can guarantee youíll watch the movie at least twice the first day and probably a few more times in the coming weeks. I usually watch a movie once. Even if I liked it I very rarely watch them more. But Iíve probably watched this movie at least ten times and will watch it again some day. That doesnít sound like much but thatís a lot for me. Just take my advice. Some guy named Christopher Nolan made it too, that may mean something to some of you.
Favorite Song: Leonard And Natalie

This is my favorite scene.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Early Satyricon is blown waaay out of proportion, just like early Darkthrone. It's listenable, and I like it, but there's much better black metal out there.

Neither Satyricon or Darkthrone have released an album as good as Ash Borer's Cold of Ages, for instance.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Maybe I should re-watch Memento. I had to watch it in a class in high school and I remember absolutely hating the ever-loving shit out of it.

I've also always liked Now, Diabolical and didn't understand all the hate for it. I guess it's just elitists being elitist. I've never actually listened to Nemesis Divina though, but if it's anything like Dark Medieval Times (my favorite Satyricon album) then I suppose I'd dig it.
10/21 King Diamond
10/22 Tombs ?
10/23 Pentagram ?
11/1 Kult ov Azazel
Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Maybe I should re-watch Memento. I had to watch it in a class in high school and I remember absolutely hating the ever-loving shit out of it.

I've also always liked Now, Diabolical and didn't understand all the hate for it. I guess it's just elitists being elitist. I've never actually listened to Nemesis Divina though, but if it's anything like Dark Medieval Times (my favorite Satyricon album) then I suppose I'd dig it.
...they "made" you watch Memento in a class at highschool? Did the sign on the door at the highschool read "greatest highschool in the history of time"?

You probably just hated it because you were being forced to watch it against your will. And as a teenage male you forced yourself to hate it no matter what. I'd suggest you check it out again. Not in a large group either. By yourself late at night.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Well, we also watched The Shining and I loved that. It was for a "Media Literacy" class that was basically studying movies, TV shows and video games. We also watched someone play Mass Effect, wrote a paper on The Departed and watched The Wire (which I also did like at the time), The Daily Show and Cold Case.

I assume I probably didn't like it because I was 15 at the time and movies that made me think weren't really my thing. Plus, watching it in a class with twenty other people probably didn't help.
10/21 King Diamond
10/22 Tombs ?
10/23 Pentagram ?
11/1 Kult ov Azazel
Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Satyricon Ė Now, Diabolical (2006)

A lot of people will tell you if you donít like Satyricons earlier albums you arenít a fan of black metal. Those same people will tell you that if you like Satyricons later stuff you are a sell-out, no knowledge, bandwagon hoping, mainstream loving douche and you should just go listen to 30 Seconds to Mars. Well, okay then. Here I go: I think Nemesis Divina sucks. Forgive me for liking music that is simple, catchy, well written, well produced and enjoyable to listen to. Maybe I should just force myself to listen to Nemesis Divina even though I think it sucks and is torturous to listen to just so I donít have to trade in my ďtr00 kvltĒ card for a gift certificate to Hot Topic. Or maybe Iíll just continue to enjoy this. A great album that follows the road they (Satyricon) started on Rebel Extravaganza and Volcano but stripped of whatever cold and grimness was left in them. What weíre left with is a really catchy, blackened hard rock album. A review I read about this album when it came out stated that this was Satyricons ĎBlack Albumí. Thatís really the best description of this album Iíve heard and thereís nothing wrong with that. Itís full of wicked, catchy songs and awesome melodies. The guitar work is so simple yet so awesome. A lot of the riffs are just single notes with sight string bends but itís so damn hypnotic. And thatís the best way to describe later Satyricon: hypnotic. Theyíll just lock into a groove and before you know it five minutes have passed and youíll hit repeat. There's not a bad song on this album. Fuck Nemesis Divina, listen to Now, Diabolical!
Favorite Song: A New Enemy
AMEN! ...for the most part at least . I cannot get into older Satyricon whatsoever. Their first album is not for me, and Nemesis (although I do like it in small doses) is a bit over rated. Have you checked out their latest release? I LOVE it, possibly my favorite release from this year

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
AMEN! ...for the most part at least . I cannot get into older Satyricon whatsoever. Their first album is not for me, and Nemesis (although I do like it in small doses) is a bit over rated. Have you checked out their latest release? I LOVE it, possibly my favorite release from this year
Have I yet; no. Do I want to and will I; yes. I only heard Age of Nero once and wasn't too impressed. But the reviews and feedback I got on that one are nothing compared to the new on. So I'll probably get it soon.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 11-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Yeah, Nero was rather bland. A couple good songs, but not too great. The s/t is really great. Makes Nero look like a red headed step child.

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 PM

Ciccone Youth – the Whitey Album (1988)

This is one fucked up album. For those of you who haven’t heard of Ciccone Youth, it’s basically Sonic Youth and Mike Watt (of Minutemen fame) joined together poking fun at pop music of the day. The name “Ciccone Youth” comes from Madonna’s maiden name and the cover is a close up of her iconic 1980’s look. They even cover two of her songs (Burnin’ Up and Into the Groove(y)) and one very popular song by Robert Palmer (Addicted to Love). Since it came out in 1986 it was relevant to that day and age but it sounds pretty dated now. The three covers of popular pop songs of the day are…fucking terrible. I think they’re purposely fucking terrible in an effort to mock the songs, the artists and their style of music. But beyond the three covers there is some wicked original music. The first half especially has some wicked instrumentals (Macbeth, Children of Satan/Third Fig) and some awesome fucked up shit (G-Force and Platoon II, which are essentially the same song, back-to-back none the less). And Hi! Everybody!, that song is just fucked right up. The second half gets a little hard to listen to and boring. The cover of Addicted to Love is in the second half and it’s just so fucking bad that it just kills the album. There is some weird shit on this album and some really cool shit too. It's a dark album too, really fucking dark. It just oozes dirty, sleazy 1980's bad hair, no bra and too much lipstick...(basically Kim Gordon). Just watching the video for Macbeth makes me feel dirty. If you’re a fan of Sonic Youth I strongly recommend it. It's one of those albums that when it's good it's GOOD, but when it's bad it's BAD.
Favorite Song: Children of Satan/Third Fig
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-14-2013 at 11:43 PM.