ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014
Samhain -- Chicago, IL -- September 13th, 2014

Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Buahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
If you ask me, ATL is better than any album Slayer ever released.
Duh
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
But, as my review states, ATL is a perfectly fine album. There are some great songs, some good songs, and then some pretty lame songs. I have no idea why ATL is seen as Anthrax's high water mark. Spreading the Disease is far better. So is Persistence of Time, for that matter.
I wouldn't say far better, but certainly better.

Persistance of Time > Spreading The Disease > Among the Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
I gotta keep my money for Maiden
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

I own the Get Thrashed DVD, it's alright. I think it could have been better.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
I own the Get Thrashed DVD, it's alright. I think it could have been better.
The bonus features on that DVD are amazing. They cover so many great bands in more depth (even if it just consists of other bands saying "yeah Nasty Savage is killer man").
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
The bonus features on that DVD are amazing. They cover so many great bands in more depth (even if it just consists of other bands saying "yeah Nasty Savage is killer man").
That's what I don't really like about it. I don't really care what the half-drunk member of Municipal Waste has to say about Thrash Band X. I mean, there's some good stuff, but not a whole lot of real info. Also, Metal Church has no place in a thrash doc.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
That's what I don't really like about it. I don't really care what the half-drunk member of Municipal Waste has to say about Thrash Band X. I mean, there's some good stuff, but not a whole lot of real info. Also, Metal Church has no place in a thrash doc.

They have slightly more place than Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, and 100 times more place than Slipknot/System of a Down/nu-metal.

"Slipknots a good band too" Fuck you Danny Lilker. I can understand that sucking up from Scott Ian cos he's a trendy whore but you? FFS.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
There's definitely not much information about the bands, but I liked it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's cool to hear anyone talk about some of these more obscure bands, even if there isn't much to add. Perhaps more importantly, this was a great way to discover a lot of bands. I'm not sure how many I learned of from just watching the bonus features, but I'd say probably at least 10 bands.

For what it's worth, I think Metal Church played the line between heavy/speed/thrash pretty well on their first album. I consider them to be speed metal, but I can see why they would be in a thrash documentary. And IIRC one of the guy who talks about them mentions they aren't a thrash band.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Voivod - Killing Technology - April 3, 1987

Once the title track of Voivod's third release kicks in, it's pretty clear that we're not in Kansas anymore! Vicious riffs coupled with odd chord choices assault your ears, while a driving, distorted bass and pummeling drums make you look to the sky in fear of alien invaders. Then, a madman prophet starts shouting and screaming in your ear, and you realize... this is what Voivod was meant to be! Voivod's first two albums were sloppy, messy blasts of punkish thrash that left much to be desired. Their third though, is easily the most unique thrash album to be released at this point. The band does a wonderful job of creating a filthy, horrifying, robotic atmosphere in almost every song, that you truly feel as if you are "Lost in Space" as one of the tracks suggest.

What's amazing to me is just how much of a total mindfuck this album is. I had never enjoyed this album when I spun it over 10 years ago after thinking myself a true thrash metal fan. Even when I listened to it the first time for this review, it didn't click, but I heard something interesting, so I persevered and I'm glad I did for Voivod is not truly a thrash band and thus they do not play a conventional thrash style. The feel, the atmosphere, the drive behind the music is different than say, Slayer or Exodus. Voivod exists on a different plane -- not necessarily a higher one -- where Slayer delves the depths of human depravity, telling tales of murder and satanism, Voivod looks to the skies and wonders what evil lurks above?

The execution is not totally perfect, of course. There are some parts of songs that feel totally disjointed from others, which is an expected result of a band trying to become more progressive and focused but an undesirable one none the less. Snake's vocals are also a bit of an acquired taste as he talks, whines, shouts, screams over the exotic soundscapes below, but then again, how many metal vocalists aren't acquired tastes?

At any rate, personally, this is huge. Until a week ago, I hated Voivod. 20-year-old me is shaking his head, going "dude..." It just goes to show you, just because you hated something before, if you allow yourself to be open and to grow (I can hear my wife laughing now), you may find some value in that thing you hated.

Standouts: Ravenous Medicine, Killing Technology, Lost in Space

Score: 8.5/10
Old 10-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Hagbard Celine, H.M., S.H.

Quote:
At any rate, personally, this is huge. Until a week ago, I hated Voivod. 20-year-old me is shaking his head, going "dude..." It just goes to show you, just because you hated something before, if you allow yourself to be open and to grow (I can hear my wife laughing now), you may find some value in that thing you hated.
Excellent review of a great album. I especially like the snipped I quoted, as it's advice that has been proven not only sound, but often correct, many times over.

I had written off country at one point. Completely written it off. I still dislike most of it, but it was a mistake I recognize now.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatus917 View Post
Excellent review of a great album. I especially like the snipped I quoted, as it's advice that has been proven not only sound, but often correct, many times over.

I had written off country at one point. Completely written it off. I still dislike most of it, but it was a mistake I recognize now.
Yeah, it's really quite something. I couldn't believe I was banging my head to Voivod on the way to work! I force myself to listen to each of these albums at least three times before I write a review, and I think I listened to Killing Technology 6 or 7 times because I was enjoying the hell out of it!

I've often been accused of being close-minded when it comes to music, and my response is usually that I just know what I like. Well, sometimes you don't know what you like. Sometimes you hate it until you learn to like it.