Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Has music piracy been reduced by services like Spotify and others?

This article on metalsucks.com caught my eye and basically the article sums up that the amount of music being pirated has gone down in the past few years. Not to say music piracy will ever go away but ever since I signed up for Spotify a year ago I honestly have not downloaded any albums, nor have I paid for any albums unless the artist isn't on spotify which isn't a lot

I pay a little over $10 a month for Spotify premium which allows me to stream it on my phone which is a data eater but I use it a lot my car vs. radio or CD; I really do enjoy the service and considering a month service equals the cost of one CD it is well worth it, and I most likely will not buy a physical or digital release unless it is super special or rare

so my question to you is do you use services like this and has it reduced the amount of albums you buy and/or download for free?

link to article: http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/07...-music-piracy/
11/11- Slipknot/Korn
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM
One who onions things

I've been buying physical copies since I've been into music at all, though I certainly also pirated my fair share a few years back. The only time I used Spotify was when I was enrolled in a Rock History course for a couple weeks a while ago and we had to listen to playlists thrown together by the professor. I thought the service was cool, but I had no desire to use it outside of my class.

With me, the problem with getting any kind of music for free is that I feel zero obligation to give it attention. When I spend money on an album I'm thinking, "This was an investment. I want this album to have been worth my money, therefore I will give it the time and attention it deserves." Sure I do strike out every now and again, but I also find myself really loving albums that I may have otherwise not given a second listen like The Tenant by Ludicra, or Abra Kadavar by Kadavar or even Times of Grace by Neurosis. I feel a similar obligation when I recieve a promo- "This band gave me an album in exchange for a review, it deserves my full attention as a critic."

If I do illegally download anything these days, it's usually somewhat obscure albums that are completely out of print, like the first two Impaled albums. Sometimes if I buy a vinyl record and it turns out to be physically fucked (warped, scratched, really noisy etc) I'll download a digital copy.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Has it reduced piracy in a true sense? I would think so.

It it helping artists? Not really. the artists get a tiny payment per play, it's miniscule. It's legitimate only in the sense the artist gets paid, but not by how much.

I stream and use digital downloads all the time, I buy CDs of albums I enjoy and they get added to the collection to gather dust - but I still adore having that collection because no matter what happens I still have those CDs, I still have access to the music if my laptop fails or my ipod breaks or the cloud/server/account fails.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I remember talking to a band who said they get like $0.03 per play on Spotify.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I would tend to agree with others that it has slowed piracy, but not really improved the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
With me, the problem with getting any kind of music for free is that I feel zero obligation to give it attention.
Agreed 100%. I don't and will never illegally download music, but when I get a promo, I listen to it a few times and review it, and then forget about it unless it was absolutely amazing. And if it's really that good, I'll go out and buy it anyways.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Metal Legend

I haven't seen any noticeable decline in piracy on the private invite-only sites I have membership at. If anything, it seems like there has been a noticeable improvement in quality and upload times. The premiere sites are more focused on getting high quality content, with consistent naming, and file creation consistency.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
I haven't seen any noticeable decline in piracy on the private invite-only sites I have membership at. If anything, it seems like there has been a noticeable improvement in quality and upload times. The premiere sites are more focused on getting high quality content, with consistent naming, and file creation consistency.
This and honestly with the huge load of small name metal bands piracy is the one of the only ways they'll get known out of their local area.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Metal Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
This and honestly with the huge load of small name metal bands piracy is the one of the only ways they'll get known out of their local area.
totally agree with this. What sites are you on? Waffles? What?
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausea View Post
totally agree with this. What sites are you on? Waffles? What?
Only site I'll use is Rockbox. It heavily promotes indy bands.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Nah.

I'm still constantly finding bands that I really want to listen to not available on Spotify.

I still buy music. Actually, I buy CD's a lot more now - not just vinyl.

The only digital music I've bought on iTunes is stuff I just could not find anywhere else - mainly SNSD and a japanese punk band from ten years ago.

Premium Spotify would be great - those commercials suck - but I'm not going to give up my own personal library for it just yet.
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch