Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Vista Chino -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 21st, 2013

Vista Chino
Support: Black Pussy
Date: Saturday September 21st, 2013
Venue: the Phoenix in Toronto, Ontario
T-Shirt worn: Sepultura "Beneath the Remains" and a green Keswick dinner jacket

We showed up later and missed most of openers Black Pussy. I had no real desire to hear them since I find any band that has the word "pussy" in their name isn't very good. What did hear was boring. They reminded me of the bands from that Almost Famous movie. Just their whole pseudo-wannabe seventies arena rock look: skinny jeans, long straight hair, Gibson SG guitars, nice shirts, kinda gay. And they had a guy playing the organ. I don't like the organ. I don't know their songs but the last song was the only one I liked. And their drummer was funny

Vista Chino was awesome...as long as they played Kyuss songs. It wasn't just me. The crowd sat on their hands during any of the new songs (except Dargona Dragona) and exploded for the Kyuss ones. But really the new songs suck next to One Inch Man and Gardenia. I'd imagine I was one of the few who've heard the new album and I was surprised that they played so much from it. It got a bit predictable after they first few songs. I knew I was going to have to sit through a song I didn't mind before they got to a song I knew I loved. The band sounded awesome. Mike Dean is a beast of a bass player and had a wicked stage presence. He was the highlight of the show. Watching him made me want to see Corrosion of Conformity some day. The rest sounded great but the vocals were too loud in the mix. I always liked that on album their vocals were a little more in the background and for the first few songs they were. Then the sound guy (very noticeably) turned them up during Dargona Dragon and they were too overpowering for the rest of the show. The crowd was really tame too but it was all thirty something's. I'd say the place was about half to three quarters full. So around seven hundred people.

There are some things I’d change. There are other Kyuss songs I like a lot better but John Homme wrote them so I know they’ll never get played. Whitewater is one of my favorite Kyuss songs, and Odyssey is one of my least favorites. So I didn’t like how they stopped Whitewater half way (after it was done the heavy part) and went into Odyssey. They paused a bit too long between songs, especially during Asteroid/Supa Scoopa and Mighty Scoop and Thumb/Green Machine. They should just play straight between those songs. And I'd prefer to see them in a smaller venue, but I think I say that about ever band I see.

Vista Chino
1. Adara
2. One Inch Man
3. Dargona Dragona
4. Hurricane
5. Sweet Remain
6. Gardenia
7. As You Wish
8. Asteroid
9. Supa Scoopa And Mighty Scoop
10. Dark and Lovely
11. Thumb
12. Green Machine
13. Freedom Run
encore
14. Planets 1&2
15. Whitewater/Odyssey
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-21-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Tinnitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
We showed up later and missed most of openers Black Pussy. I had no real desire to hear them since I find any band that has the word "pussy" in their name isn't very good.
Alabama Thunderpussy says hi.

Good review btw. Although I don't think I missed a whole lot with this show. Seeing Kyuss Lives is good enough for me.
11/24 DFA 1979
12/9 ETID
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommie View Post
Alabama Thunderpussy says hi.

Good review btw. Although I don't think I missed a whole lot with this show. Seeing Kyuss Lives is good enough for me.
Same. After the marathon Kyuss Lives show in LA two years ago, I'm pretty much set when it comes to live Kyuss.

These guys need to lay easy on the touring maybe. I think they might have oversaturated America.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 09-22-2013, 02:49 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Same. After the marathon Kyuss Lives show in LA two years ago, I'm pretty much set when it comes to live Kyuss.

These guys need to lay easy on the touring maybe. I think they might have oversaturated America.
If they keep on doing it like this, they should stop talking about "teh Josh wuz all about da money", if ya know what I mean.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:16 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Vista Chino
Support: Black Pussy
Date: Saturday September 21st, 2013
Venue: the Phoenix in Toronto, Ontario
T-Shirt worn: Sepultura "Beneath the Remains" and a green Keswick dinner jacket

We showed up later and missed most of openers Black Pussy. I had no real desire to hear them since I find any band that has the word "pussy" in their name isn't very good. What did hear was boring. They reminded me of the bands from that Almost Famous movie. Just their whole pseudo-wannabe seventies arena rock look: skinny jeans, long straight hair, Gibson SG guitars, nice shirts, kinda gay. And they had a guy playing the organ. I don't like the organ. I don't know their songs but the last song was the only one I liked. And their drummer was funny

Vista Chino was awesome...as long as they played Kyuss songs. It wasn't just me. The crowd sat on their hands during any of the new songs (except Dargona Dragona) and exploded for the Kyuss ones. But really the new songs suck next to One Inch Man and Gardenia. I'd imagine I was one of the few who've heard the new album and I was surprised that they played so much from it. It got a bit predictable after they first few songs. I knew I was going to have to sit through a song I didn't mind before they got to a song I knew I loved. The band sounded awesome. Mike Dean is a beast of a bass player and had a wicked stage presence. He was the highlight of the show. Watching him made me want to see Corrosion of Conformity some day. The rest sounded great but the vocals were too loud in the mix. I always liked that on album their vocals were a little more in the background and for the first few songs they were. Then the sound guy (very noticeably) turned them up during Dargona Dragon and they were too overpowering for the rest of the show. The crowd was really tame too but it was all thirty something's. I'd say the place was about half to three quarters full. So around seven hundred people.

There are some things I’d change. There are other Kyuss songs I like a lot better but John Homme wrote them so I know they’ll never get played. Whitewater is one of my favorite Kyuss songs, and Odyssey is one of my least favorites. So I didn’t like how they stopped Whitewater half way (after it was done the heavy part) and went into Odyssey. They paused a bit too long between songs, especially during Asteroid/Supa Scoopa and Mighty Scoop and Thumb/Green Machine. They should just play straight between those songs. And I'd prefer to see them in a smaller venue, but I think I say that about ever band I see.

Vista Chino
1. Adara
2. One Inch Man
3. Dargona Dragona
4. Hurricane
5. Sweet Remain
6. Gardenia
7. As You Wish
8. Asteroid
9. Supa Scoopa And Mighty Scoop
10. Dark and Lovely
11. Thumb
12. Green Machine
13. Freedom Run
encore
14. Planets 1&2
15. Whitewater/Odyssey
First of all, your fashion sense is impeccable! Secondly, I wish I could have gone to this show but unfortunately with my wife on her last month of mat leave, money's a little tight! I can definitely see what you're saying with the new songs though. Dark and Lovely between the Scoops and Thumb? Pfft... Let me go grab a beer! Great closer though, with Whitewater and Odyssey, two of my all-time favourite Kyuss songs. Nice review.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post

I thought this was the only other tour they've done in the US.
I ended up not going to this cause the new music doesn't excite me too much, and I already saw everything else they're doing.
I could overlook the elephant in the room of Josh missing for one night since it was cool to experience, but not so much anymore.
I

Last edited by TonyD; 09-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM

I pretty much agree with everyone here who saw them the first time and doesn't feel the need to see them again. I missed them the first time around because I didn't want to see them without Josh. But then I felt stupid because Kyuss is still one of my favorite bands and it was the closest I'd ever get. So I wish I went to the earlier show that was one hundred percent Kyuss tunes. But I didn't so I had to settle for this. Maybe "settle" isn't the right word but who cares. Unless they somehow manage to play some different Kyuss songs, or maybe if there's another Vista Chino album that's totally awesome, I probably won't see them the next time they come through.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

But QOTSA doesn't play Kyuss songs, I believe?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
But QOTSA doesn't play Kyuss songs, I believe?
I don't think they've ever played a Kyuss song. I think that part of Josh's life is done.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Tags
black pussy, vista chino