Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014
Satanic Warmaster -- Mexico City, Mexico -- July 5th, 2014
Dying Fetus -- Merriam, KS -- July 12th, 2014
Phobia -- Tempe, AZ -- July 11th, 2014

Old 08-25-2013, 06:04 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
I like most of A Thousand Leaves. Sonic Nurse is even better - and I only have to skip two songs! That's really good for them.

I haven't commented in here lately, but I like a lot of the things you've been posting. I should really check out more Aphex Twin. Oh, and seeing as how much you love Nails, check out All Pigs Must Die. Very similar sound, and I favor the latter much more highly.
If there's any problem with A Thousand Leaves it's that it's a little too long. And it peaks early with Sunday, Female Mechanic Now on Duty and Wildflower Soul. But if anyone was a fan of the Diamond Sea from Washing Machine there's no reason for them not to love the whole A Thousand Leaves album. Every song is like the Diamond Sea (just not as good).
11/01 - Suffocation
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM

Prong - Rude Awakening (1996)

A lot of people loved Prongs earlier albums and pushed this one aside. Iím the complete opposite. Their earlier stuff is okay but this album is one hundred percent awesome. Itís pretty simplistic, short and most of the songs follow the same ďverse-chorusĒ formula. But when itís a really good formula why deviate from it? If this album did anything bad itís that it was a precursor to the late 1990ís nu-metal movement. And itís especially a precursor to one of nu-metals most polarizing bands: Static-X. You can really hear a lot of this album (and its predecessor Cleansing) in Static-Xs debut, especially the drumming. But I liked Static-Xs first album so I donít let it bother me. Prong fell apart after this album. I think Sony dropped them within a few weeks of releasing this album. Shortly after that they broke up and Tommy Victor joined Danzigs touring band (a job he still holds to this day). The band got back together in the early part of the millennium and started releasing new music again but back in the vein of their earlier stuff. Too bad, this was a wicked album.
Favorite Song: Rude Awakening (another one of my all-time favorite music videos)
11/01 - Suffocation
Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM

Trans Am
Trans Am (1996)

Red Line (2000)

Trans Am are one of those bands that when theyíre good theyíre GOOD, and when theyíre not they SUCK. Any of their albums are worth your time and money but their debut is far and away their best. They were more of a straight-ahead indie rock band then, all instrumental though. But there are some damn fine, catchy songs on that album. If thereís a shortfall itís that itís too damn short (barely a half an hour). Red Line was their last rock album before they went into synth rock and it suffers from the exact opposite symptom as their debut, itís a little too long. But the songs that are good are so damn good. Trans Am have nine full-length albums and if you took all the very best songs youíd probably have four albums worth of material. But these two would be strongly represented, the debut especially.
Favorite Song (Trans Am): Orlando (I can't find a decent clip of that song on its own so here's a link for the whole album. You may as well listen to the whole thing but Orlando starts at 15:06)
Favorite Song (Red Line): Iím Coming Down
11/01 - Suffocation
Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 PM

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve (1995)

I will get lynched for saying this but I think anything Meshuggah released after this sucked. Chaosphere was good but was a bit too chaotic. ObZen and I were good. Nothing, Catch 33 and Koloss bored the hell out of me. People blow huge loads over everything they’ve done since but I don’t think those albums are worth it because this album was a goddamn masterpiece. I really shouldn’t have to get too much into this album because everyone here has heard it. But for the two of you who haven’t the band was a totally different beast back in these days. Now they play this bored sounding robotic dronish metal. Back in these days they had these crazy, spastic riffs and all these fucked up time signatures. They didn't have those stupid eight string guitars (which may as well be bass guitars). They had a real drummer (I know they still have the same drummer today but isn’t everything on albums programmed?). And unlike their later albums all of the songs brought something different to the table. The punishing beating of Soul Burn, the frantic chaos of the title track and the ominous doom of Suffer in Truth. You have to put yourself in my shoes in 1997. The late 1990's was such a great time for metal. And no band sounded like this. This was faster, heavier and more technical than almost anything else out there. When you’re just getting into extreme metal like I was than this is an album that will stick with you forever. I don't buy Meshuggahs albums anymore but anything I hear by them is instantly compared to this and is cast aside. Because nothing they ever put out will come close to being as good as this.
Favorite Song: Terminal Illusions
11/01 - Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-02-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I like most of A Thousand Leaves. Sonic Nurse is even better - and I only have to skip two songs! That's really good for them.

I haven't commented in here lately, but I like a lot of the things you've been posting. I should really check out more Aphex Twin. Oh, and seeing as how much you love Nails, check out All Pigs Must Die. Very similar sound, and I favor the latter much more highly.
Yeah, I've been on this massive Sonic Youth kick the last two weeks and have gotten five of their later albums. A Thousand Leaves is awesome. I love how it's so dreamy. The only things that throw me are the first song just is a weird way to start things off. And the last song isn't a very good closer. NYC Ghosts & Flowers is a very dark sounding album but it's probably one of their worst albums. It has a couple decent songs but has some songs that are really bad (I'm looking at you StreamXSonik Subway and Lightnin'). The title track has some really nice vocals near the beginning. And Renegade Princess is a cool song for the first half. Murray Street was really good. I like how jammy it feels. Sonic Nurse was good, mature and poppy. I Love You Golden Blue is probably one of my favorite vocal perfromances from Kim. And Rather Ripped was good and poppy, but unexceptional. Every song on that album was pretty much the same. Not that that's a bad thing. Just nothing on that album jumped out at me.

I'm still getting used to them all since it's only been a little over a week with all of them. But I really like them all, except NYC Ghosts & Flowers was a letdown. All of them are unmistakably Sonic Youth. They all bring something a little different to the table but yet still are all "them". A Thousand Leaves: dreamy. NYC Ghosts & Flowers: dark. Murray Street: improvised and loose. Sonic Nurse: mature. Rather Ripped: poppy.

In the grand scheme of all things Sonic Youth I'd say things rank like this, but it will probably change because it always does.
1. Goo
2. Washing Machine
3. EVOL
4. Sister
5. A Thousand Leaves
6. Murray Street
7. Sonic Nurse
8. Daydream Nation
9. Rather Ripped
10. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
11. Dirty
12. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
The only two I really don't like are Dirty and NYC Ghosts & Fowers.

I'm with you and I consider them in my top ten bands now. I really wish I could've seen them live. But, in a way I'm glad they're done. Kim is sixty now and the rest of them all in their mid-to-late-fifties so they couldn't have gone on for much longer. It's too bad that it ended on a very sour note though (infidelity on Thurstons part). And who knows, they very well could get back together next year.
11/01 - Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-04-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Hey, I'm not sure if you are aware, but Thurston and Kim actually are in new bands now. Thurston's new band Chelsea Light Moving is actually playing in Toronto in a couple weekends.

Kim's new band is Body/Head but they don't seem to be playing in Toronto, at least yet. I haven't listened to either band though, yet.

Dirty actually has a couple really good songs (Theresa's Sound World, Sugar Kane), but I agree, not their best. You're not alone in thinking NYC ghosts and flowers is horrible... Pitchfork gave it a 0.0.

I don't remember if I've heard Rather Ripped or not. I think I may have heard the first two songs. Either way, public opinion indicates that I shouldn't bother.

Haven't listened to Murray Street in a while, but I remember I didn't care for the first half at all, but was pleasantly surprised by the second. Will have to re-listen soon.

I'm glad I re-initiated your interest in Sonic Youth

ALSO, Trans Am have been on my list of bands to check out for a couple months now. I've really been getting into that 'scene' recently... have you heard of Polvo or Slint?

Last edited by larvtard; 09-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, I'm not sure if you are aware, but Thurston and Kim actually are in new bands now. Thurston's new band Chelsea Light Moving is actually playing in Toronto in a couple weekends.

Kim's new band is Body/Head but they don't seem to be playing in Toronto, at least yet. I haven't listened to either band though, yet.

Dirty actually has a couple really good songs (Theresa's Sound World, Sugar Kane), but I agree, not their best. You're not alone in thinking NYC ghosts and flowers is horrible... Pitchfork gave it a 0.0.

I don't remember if I've heard Rather Ripped or not. I think I may have heard the first two songs. Either way, public opinion indicates that I shouldn't bother.

Haven't listened to Murray Street in a while, but I remember I didn't care for the first half at all, but was pleasantly surprised by the second. Will have to re-listen soon.

I'm glad I re-initiated your interest in Sonic Youth

ALSO, Trans Am have been on my list of bands to check out for a couple months now. I've really been getting into that 'scene' recently... have you heard of Polvo or Slint?
I knew about Thurstons new band but I haven't heard anything. I was actually going to go to that show in Toronto but the club they're playing in always has shows start way too late for me. I'm an old man and I have kids. I just can't be out past midnight anymore.

The Trans Am scene I have no idea on. I've never heard any of those bands. But you should check out Trans Am. They're a lot like Sonic Youth though in that for every good song there are two you'll skip. Except their debut album is all good.
11/01 - Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Converge Ė All We Love We Leave Behind (2012)

Sometimes I get caught up in buzz for an album and go out and buy it without hearing a note of the music. Sometimes I fail miserably and Iím left with an album that sits on the shelf collecting dust. But sometimes I get totally blown away by something thatís unlike everything else I usually listen to. This album falls into the latter. They topped a lot of year-end polls with this album and rightfully so. This album has such a great live, raw, unpolished feel to it. Listening to it I feel like Iím sitting on a couch in the bands rehearsal space watching them jam out. It has a great flow to it and the use of feedback between songs is great. Short and fast when it needs to be, slow and sludgy when it needs to be. If thereís anything negative about this album itís that the last song seems out of place. They shouldíve ended with the title track.
Favorite Song: Shame in the Way
11/01 - Suffocation
Old 09-06-2013, 09:34 PM
N00B

Completely agree. I just listened to that album the other day and it still destroys. "Aimless Arrow" is a perfect opener and the title track should have been the perfect closer.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Nails – Unsilent Death (2010)

This really needs to be a two-word review. And those two words are “Holy” and “Fuck”. That’s how damn good this album is. I was already blown away by 2013’s Abandon All Life from the second I heard it. Then I had some other people tell me that Unsilent Death was even better and I was like “yeah, sure, maybe, but how”? So I bought this album and expected to be very impressed. Not totally blown away, again. Serious, how this band can pack so much anger, intensity and fucking…awesomeness…into everything they put out is beyond me. Every riff is awesome, every vocal line is awesome, every song is awesome. Not a second of this albums scant fourteen minutes is wasted. This is just…fuck. This rules. It fucking rules. In January 2013 I had no idea who Nails were. Here we are in September and they’re one of my favorite bands. I can’t describe this other than by just saying that this is fucking awesome. Nails, if you ever read this…change nothing.
Favorite Song: Unsilent Death
11/01 - Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-11-2013 at 10:11 PM.