Vista Chino - Peace

Vista Chino - Peace
Released: September 3rd, 2013
Label: Napalm Records

Line-Up:
John Garcia – vocals
Bruno Fevery – guitar
Nick Oliveri – bass
Brant Bjork – drums, percussion, backing vocals, vocals and bass on Planets 1 & 2
Mike Dean – bass on As You Wish
Chris Cochrell – harmonica on the Gambling Moose
Tom Brayton – additional percussion

1. Good Morning Wasteland
2. Dargona Dragona
3. Sweet Remain
4. As You Wish
5. Planets 1 & 2
6. Adara
7. Mas Vino
8. Dark and Lovely
9. Barcelonian
10. Acidize…the Gambling Moose

In this age of bands from the 1990’s reforming to get one last tour in and get one last payday comes Vista Chino, one half (sometimes three quarters) of the reformed Kyuss. Let me get the name out of the way. When I told my friend I was going to see these guys in a few weeks I didn’t say, “dude, I’m going to see Vista Chino”. I said, “dude, I’m going to see Kyuss”. And when I describe them to other people it usually goes, “this band that’s basically Kyuss”. When me and my friends talk about this band we don't refer to them as "Vista Chino". They're Kyuss. For one Vista Chino is a stupid name. And more importantly no matter what name they’re going by (Vista Chino, Kyuss Lives!, or Kyuss) and no matter how many lawyers Josh Homme throws around these guys will always be known as Kyuss. Because that's what they are. Just with one very important piece missing.

While the album is good I think my expectations were just way too damn high. Kyuss is still one of my favorite bands and I went into this hoping for Welcome to Sky Valley pt. 2. When I heard the first “single” Dargona Dragona I was pleasantly surprised too that it had a lot of the same feeling. But unfortunately they put the very best song on the album right at the beginning. After that the album is full of really solid desert rock but nothing exceptional. People will argue that Brant Bjork wrote a lot of Kyuss’ songs. But when you really get into their catalog he only wrote a couple that were essential (Gardenia, Green Machine, 50 Million Year Trip (Downside Up)). The majority of their catalog was written by…Josh Homme. And that’s what the record is missing. Bruno Fevery is a great guitarist but he doesn’t write the riffs like Homme did and his playing just doesn’t have the feeling that Homme’s did. His tone and riffing is very one-dimensional and it gets old after ten songs.

There are some good songs on here aside from Dargona Dragona. Sweet Remain has a really nice poppy, driving beat. Planets 1 & 2 is just generally good. And while I didn’t like it at first Barcelonian is a pretty good song. Dark and Lovely has some nice vocals but it never really goes anywhere. Nothing else on the album is overly bad it just does nothing for me. The songs are all just too straightforward for my liking. It lacks that jammy, improvised feel that Kyuss’ albums had. I'll admit that at first I hated it but with each listen I've grown to like it more and more. Will I ever love it as much as ...and the Circus Leaves Town? Very doubtful. But once I get that out of my head it's a very enjoyable record.

I’m very confused over the label that the band released this on. When I think of Napalm Records I think of European Symphonic Metal, not Californian Desert Rock. This is probably the only album Napalm has ever released with a front cover that doesn't have boobs, a dragon or a sword on it. I’m sure there was interest from a lot of labels, how they settled on Napalm Records really baffles me. That this ended up on Napalm Records and not on Ipecac, Southern Lord or one of the many other labels that release stoner/desert rock will always confuse me.

I see this album as one thing; a way to detract people who label the band as nothing more than a Kyuss tribute band. But the fact of the matter is that I doubt more than three songs from this will get played during their live shows. And I really don't want to see most of these songs when I go see them live, I want to hear Kyuss songs that I never got to see when they were around. I strongly doubt that there will be a second album under the Vista Chino name. It’s still a good album, just not an exceptional album. They will always be compared to Kyuss no matter what anyone tries. That will never go away. And this just doesn’t hold a candle to Kyuss.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Best Songs: Dargona Dragona, Sweet Remain, Planets 1 & 2, Barcelonian
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-10-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Troo Methulfan

So, Homme was important for Kyuss.

Never expected THAT. Moving on.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Your review is pretty spot-on. I dig the album, and really enjoy some of the songs, but I don't think that the main problem with the album is Homme's absence, it's that they're trying to re-create his presence. It sounds like they're trying so hard to create those classic Kyuss albums without one of their main songwriters. At any rate, I like the album and looking forward to seeing some of these tunes live.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

I've honestly never really listened to Kyuss, but I thought this album was pretty good. Some of the songs drag quite a bit, but Adara, Dragona Dragona and Planets 1 & 2 are all excellent songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Iím very confused over the label that the band released this on. When I think of Napalm Records I think of European Symphonic Metal, not Californian Desert Rock. This is probably the only album Napalm has ever released with a front cover that doesn't have boobs, a dragon or a sword on it. Iím sure there was interest from a lot of labels, how they settled on Napalm Records really baffles me. That this ended up on Napalm Records and not on Ipecac, Southern Lord or one of the many other labels that release stoner/desert rock will always confuse me.
The stoner rock band Monster Magnet has also been on Napalm Records for like four years. It confused the hell outta me when they sent me a compilation and there was a Monster Magnet song on it to break up all the folk metal.
11/14 Decapitated
11/15 Eyehategod ?
11/21 Foxy Shazam ?
12/6 Helstar
Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Troo Methulfan

What caused the water being so deep between Homme & the rest anyway?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
What caused the water being so deep between Homme & the rest anyway?
Money.

The story I've read from Bjork is that once they got signed to a label Homme learned of publishing rights and the money that could be made from them and he got greedy. Due to the money he could get from publishing rights he (Homme) starting refusing to play songs the other members wrote. That's what caused Bjork to leave the band.

That said, I've never heard Homme's side of the story. But the fact that he sued the band for using the Kyuss Lives! monkier and making money off it makes me think that money is the driving force again.

There have always been rumours of a full-on Kyuss reunion but Homme still makes more money with Queens of the Stone Age then he'd ever make with Kyuss, so I doubt it will ever happen.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 09-11-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Troo Methulfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Money.

The story I've read from Bjork is that once they got signed to a label Homme learned of publishing rights and the money that could be made from them and he got greedy. Due to the money he could get from publishing rights he (Homme) starting refusing to play songs the other members wrote. That's what caused Bjork to leave the band.

That said, I've never heard Homme's side of the story. But the fact that he sued the band for using the Kyuss Lives! monkier and making money off it makes me think that money is the driving force again.

There have always been rumours of a full-on Kyuss reunion but Homme still makes more money with Queens of the Stone Age then he'd ever make with Kyuss, so I doubt it will ever happen.
Might be...

Anyway, I very much like QOTSA & Kyuss, allthough it took me a long time before I finally got into the latter. And weren't they too young?

Last edited by MetalIsArt; 09-11-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalIsArt View Post
Might be...

Anyway, I very much like QOTSA & Kyuss, allthough it took me a long time before I finally got into the latter. And weren't they too young?
Yeah, I think they were in their early twenties when Kyuss broke up.
03/07 - Video Games Live